Game Day AFL Round 7 - Matchday Discussion Port Adelaide@Collingwood(Marvel Stadium– 7:50PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re set up for an enthralling matchup this Friday at Marvel Stadium between two quality sides. Both sides are coming into this game off inconsistent victories. For Collingwood, they managed to hold on against a game Essendon team, while for Port Adelaide, they played good football for three quarters, and fell asleep in the last, giving North a real chance.

The last time these two sides met was back in round 22. It was a close tussle for three quarters, but Collingwood kicked away in the final quarter, running out 51 point winners. Despite the victory, Port Adelaide have been a bit of a bogey side for Collingwood, with the Power winning all but two of the matchups between these two sides since 2013.

Collingwood

It’s fair to say that last week’s game between the Bombers and the Magpies is one of the most controversial games in recent memory. Many Essendon fans placed the blame of the loss right on the umpires, ignoring the costly turnovers by Bomber players at the end of the game. However, it was the aftermath of the game that created the talking point during the week. Bomber fans would boo the RSL member, as well as the ANZAC medalist, Pendlebury, who put on a dazzling performance. While the fact that the Magpies managed to win against the Bombers, many will be concerned about how they finished the game. Collingwood started strongly, kicking six goals to one in the first quarter. However, they would go on to lose the final three quarters, which would be cause for concern for Nathan Buckley. Brodie Grundy was once again brilliant for Collingwood, while Langdon regained some of that form he showed in the 2018 finals.

The man to watch this week is Ben Reid. Reid has become somewhat of the forgotten man in the Collingwood lineup, with Moore taking his role down back, and Miocek taking his role in the forward line. However, with Mason Cox out of the lineup, Reid has his chance to show the critics that he has what it takes to still play quality football. Many questions surround Reid, with many asking whether his body will hold up, and where he his best suited on the field.

Port Adelaide

It feels like this is said every year about the Power, but it still difficult to gauge this Port Adelaide side. At times, the Power have shown they can beat the best, like going to Perth to beat the Eagles, but have also lost to sides like the Lions, while also struggling against Wooden Spoon contenders in North Melbourne and Carlton. Last week, Port Adelaide looked to be cruising going into the final quarter. However, they lost their focus, allowing the Kangaroos to give the Power a shock. Boak and Sam Gray were sensational, while Wines continued his consistent season. Speed has been the key for Port this season, with their rookie in Rozee able to slice the defense apart.

The man to watch this week is Connor Rozee. Rozee leap-frogged into rising contention with a bright display against North Melbourne. The rookie from North Adelaide picked up 22 disposals, while kicking a goal as well. Consistency has been his problem however, with bright performances against the Lions and the Kangaroos, but quiet performances against the Tigers and West Coast. If he wants to give Sam Walsh a run for his money in the Rising Star, he’ll want to become more consistent.

Head to Head odds

Collingwood: $1.33
Port Adelaide: $3.18

Changes

Port Adelaide

IN

Karl Amon

OUT

Robbie Gray (Injured)

Collingwood

IN

Ben Reid, Jamie Elliott

OUT

Mason Cox (Injured), Travis Varcoe (Omitted)

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free
Live on Channel 7

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL
Kayo Sports

Tip

This is a tougher pick than most think. While many think Collingwood will win easy, their lack of consistency across four quarters, combined with Port’s ability to bring it against quality teams means that it will be a close game.

Magpies by 10.

Their averaging 77 points against, must be doing something right.

Yeah but who are they?

HB
  • 3 Ryan Burton
  • 32 Dougal Howard
  • 33 Darcy Byrne-Jones

FB
  • 26 Riley Bonner
  • 17 Tom Clurey
  • 43 Dan Houston

I understand they might be slightly under the radar but I think our potent forward line will be too much for them to handle especially without their skipper Jonas guiding them. They aren't exactly household names, I think we will probably have too many tricks for them. They won't be able to contain them all.

Yeah but who are they?

HB
  • 3 Ryan Burton
  • 32 Dougal Howard
  • 33 Darcy Byrne-Jones

FB
  • 26 Riley Bonner
  • 17 Tom Clurey
  • 43 Dan Houston

I understand they might be slightly under the radar but I think our potent forward line will be too much for them to handle especially without their skipper Jonas guiding them. They aren't exactly household names, I think we will probably have too many tricks for them. They won't be able to contain them all.
Hope so.

Yeah but who are they?

HB
  • 3 Ryan Burton
  • 32 Dougal Howard
  • 33 Darcy Byrne-Jones

FB
  • 26 Riley Bonner
  • 17 Tom Clurey
  • 43 Dan Houston

Take a look at our midfield names aren’t everything!

I hope the group has 3 focus’ ahead of tonight:

1. Midfield dominance. Let’s translate the paper to match day. Port have a strong starting midfield (Boak, Wines and Rockliff), but it lacks the depth we have. They get past that with ruck dominance which they won’t have tonight.

2. If we imagine our ball movement as a tap. The tap was a trickle v Richmond and full noise v Brisbane. Tonight I’d like us to release to half way leaning toward Brisbane tempo. Port will want this one to be an 85-75 arm wrestle without their two best forwards (Dixon and Gray) and two of their three highest scores have come in their losses. I hope we make it a first to 100 wins contest.

3. Ground level pressure in the forward half. This is the most offensively dangerous fwd third we’ve put on the field this year, but it’s on par with our worst defensive fwd group (the other v WC). If we can bring the heat and lock it in that area for large periods I think we’ll see both focus areas 1 and 2 fall into place. It’ll mean more repeat score opportunities and place enormous pressure on their trigger hands.

The bookies had the market slightly wrong in this one and I’m struggling to justify a three goal line. Port are the real deal and if they weren’t missing two of their best three players I’d have it as a genuine 50/50. They are though so I think we’ll just pip them.

I reckon Port, along with West Coast and Hawthorn, are the team that structure up best against us in the entire comp. We haven't had many victories over them in the Buckley era - even late last year, when we were flying and they were falling apart at the seams, they made it a real hard fought game for three quarters.

Now they look resurgent, youthful and energised. This is a danger game for us - I hope we bring our intensity.

Port Adelaide +39.5
Melbourne
Essendon +39.5

Ports dominance in the midfield will be too much for us and the dam wall will burst.
Sadly, playing on neutral territory is going to be our downfall.

Port by 16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ports dominance in the midfield will be too much for us and the dam wall will burst.

Port by 16.
I’m guessing you’re in the motivational industry?

:eek:

Port by 16.

Port are the No.1 ranked clearance team, and we are ranked about 17th at the moment, l think. But then again, l believe Carlton and Melbourne are ranked 2nd and 3rd in clearances, and that hasnt really been fruitful for theose sides.

Port are the No.1 ranked clearance team, and we are ranked about 17th at the moment, l think. But then again, l believe Carlton and Melbourne are ranked 2nd and 3rd in clearances, and that hasnt really been fruitful for theose sides.

That only tells half the story. We’ve become a low stoppage team in 2019 playing a keepings off brand with a high number of marks (1st for marks and uncontested possessions) which leads to less tackles (15th) so less stoppages which will naturally lead to low clearance numbers.

For a truer picture we’d need to look at clearance differential. Port are +29 on the season, but have a huge outlier v Carlton where they were +21. Conversely we’re -6 and our greatest outlier was last week v Essendon at -11. On the balance of the season the two are about evenly matched at the stoppages.

Watching Treloar this year he just doesn't seem "right". It might just be me...
He’s quite easily leading our disposal count and he’s getting mentioned in alot of AA team predictions.

How many games senior has he been back for? Probably been less than 12 games back from his double hammy, it may take time to trust his hammies again.

Football Day

tumblr_m8h49cPHuW1r011tlo1_500.gif

They have a big and aggressive midfield with Boak, Wines, Powell Pepper and Rockliff.

That worries me given the fact that our midfield hasn't necessarily fired around stoppages.

Elliott coming back into the side probably means that De Goey can have a bit more time on the all, and it might be required.

I think we are a much deeper list, and our more experienced players should overwhelm the inexperienced Port team.

Marvel stadium doesn't really bother me. I think we play ok there.

I feel a late change coming on, with Varcoe named first emergency, and also Lynch amongst the emergencies.

Motlop is their travelling emergency so the late change might actually come from Port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back