Preview AFL Round 8 - Collingwood v Geelong - Changes & Prematch Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind seeing williams in, his attitude and attack on the ball could really lift our other players

Hopefully Goldsack is back too

Would also bring in didak to see how he goes, nothing to lose.

In: Williams Goldsack Didak

Out: Clarke(inj) Seedsmen Blair

No chance Ball will play as he only missed this week because he needs VFL games, and he hasn't played one yet.

I would like to see us limit the game plan that every team seems to implement against us in which they flood back leaving their forward line open exposing our lack of speed running back defensively.

We need to do the same and push numbers back heavily into opposition forward lines leaving our forwards with some area to work with. All too often i see our forward line jam packed full of players which forms packs and the opposition run it out easily into open areas as they stream forward. Its the slingshot sydney used last year and very effective against our shambles of a 'forward press'

I wouldn't mind seeing williams in, his attitude and attack on the ball could really lift our other players

No chance Ball will play as he only missed this week because he needs VFL games, and he hasn't played one yet.
If it wasnt for the VFL bye, Ball probably would have played vs geelong. Ball, beams and hopefully young back vs the swans. A must win game.

In: Williams, Didak, Goldsack, Witts

Out: Mooney, Blair, Kennedy, Lynch (inj),

(If Clarke is injured, might need to consider someone like Sinclair or Russell. Would like Johnson, but he's missed, what, 3 weeks now? Would need a run in the two's surely?)

B: Shaw Brown Williams
HB: Maxwell Reid Seedsman
C: O'Brien J. Thomas D. Thomas
HF: Sidebottom Goldsack Elliott
F: Krakouer Cloke Witts
Foll: Jolly Swan Pendlebury
Int: Macaffer Dwyer Clarke
Sub: Didak

This is going to be such an awesome season...just you all wait.

Agree. Caff is too slow to be a defender after the reco. He should play forward pocket. Dids is a must, give him one more chance. I think we should bring in paine instead of witts because witts will make us far too slow against a fast geelong side.

It's not his pace that's the issue it's the lateral movement that was found out when he took Walters. Obviously it didn't work out however I think people are underselling Macaffer's game last night. He shut down Mundy who was bog in the first quarter and definitely needs to be continued as a tagger imo

I am not convinced that a wholesale change of personnel is going to make us more competitive. Individual players need to focus on the flaws in their game. Elliott needs to be more 3 dimensional, O'Brien can't serve up another 6 critical errors from the wing, our mid-fielders have to tackle and harass like their lives depend on it, Krakouer needs to develop some intensity in his game when he doesn't have the ball and Maxwell should play better with a game under his belt.

There are players who could use a rest or are not capable of performing the roles they have been given. If Ball is back, Blair could be moved into the forward line where his tackling would be handy. Goldsack will hopefully return and Williams might get a job down back. Unfortunately, with no VFL game this weekend, there is only last week's VFL form on which to assess players.

There is no point making changes just for the sake of it. We thought Maxwell and Mooney might make a difference but they didn't. Many want Didak in the side, though his VFL form has been solid but not outstanding. The selectors this week have a difficult time ahead of them.

B Shaw Brown Williams
HB Goldsack Reid Maxwell
C Obrien Swan Sidebottom
HF Didak Cloke Elliott
F Mooney D Thomas Krakour

R Jolly Pendlebury Mccaffer

Int Lynch Dwyer J Thomas
Sub Seedsman

Outs Blair (apart from first 3 rounds has done nothing)
Kennedy
Clarke inj

Ins Didak
Williams
Goldsack

Would give ball another game in vfl

Pardon the intrusion.

I have read this thread and find it interesting that you dont rate your smaller faster younger players. I have not see much of them this year but thought they were not bad early on - you see them week in and out so obviously you know more.

Think it will be a great game and we are certainly not underestimating you guys. I expect a tough contest and lets face it, Swan, Pendles, Cloke, Harry O etc will be gunning for us. Also you need the win and I can't see you guys just falling away. Too good for that.

As an aside, could you draw a comparison between Pies 2013 and Geelong 2010? We were slow and stuck in a rut a bit and needed more pace which we got going more in 2011. You have been concerned about pace etc and have the newer breed coming in...

I just cant write you off...

Good luck

GO Catters

Im just sick of the midget brigade, this is going to be a sore point for me all week.

Look at the real gun sides, Hawks, Cats, Sydney, Ess.

All big bodies around the ground/middle.

Instead we have the mosquito fleet, and only one of them (Dwyer) has any footskills of note.

Blair, Dwyer, Thomas, Kennedy, Krakoeur, Elliot, Clarke, Sidebottom, Sinclair, Mooney.

far too many, especially when alot of above mentioned rotate through the midfield.

Compare to Geelongs "second string" midfield players

Kelly, Chapman, Corey, Enright, Smedts, Caddy, Mackie, Duncan.

BIG BODIES - WAKE UP COLLINGWOOD
You forgot Christensen and Stokes who are going through the middle too.

Swans have Jack, Hanneberry and McGlynn.

Hardly all if bodies. Yes we have too many but other sides do have some. The key point is if they are small they need some key attributes like foot speed, ball winning ability and/or good kicking skills.

Sorry for the intrusion, but I thought Fasolo wasn't eligible to play next week due to a VFL bye this week? I may be wrong.
Yeah, you are right, which means Didak might come into contention simply based on the need for anyone who can kick accurately for goal, and because of his experience in big games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to do a 360 if we want to be Close to winning.

IN: Witts Goldsack Didak

OUT: Lynchc Clarke Krakouer

I would not Drop Kennendy as he was descent and Deserves to keep playing

I reckon we will win..I see shadows of collingwood vs geelong in 2008.We didn't have a hope according to some and came out and smashed them.Hopefully the geelong players are believing their own hype.

If we have any heart we will come out snarling in this game.
Ball should come in after having a heavy training week just gone.(according to Eade last week)
That would in turn, create a sort of domino effect.
It will release either Pendles or Swanny from the coal face and allow them more freedom from the grunt work in the middle.
Blair or Sidebottom would then go back to the forward line to be at the feet of Cloke.
Krak will hopefully get a huge kick up the arse and be told to defend as well. He provided no defensive pressure at all last night. He would be lucky to keep his spot if I had any say in it.
I'd like to see them bring in Paine to provide some relief for Trav, especially when Lynch goes into the ruck.

In: Ball, Goldsack, Paine.
Out: Clarke , Krakouer, ???

Buckley said in his presser that Ball and Didak are in the selection mix. Ball has had two games in the VFL, played well, has had a week of to get over any soreness, can't see why he wouldn't play. I also think both Ball and Didak were already selected straight after the Freo game, to face the Cats.

IN: DIDAK, WILLIAMS, BALL
Out: DON'T CARE! Just a bloke in who has some speed and mongrel and can play on Motlop. Get a bloke in who can direct a ****ing leather thing to a player on his own team...And get the biggest heart pumping in our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 8 - Collingwood v Geelong - Changes & Prematch Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back