Preview AFL Round 8 - Collingwood v Geelong - Changes & Prematch Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

In; Fasolo, Goldsack, Williams, Ball
Out: Clarke (injured), Mooney (injured - sore knee), Elliott, Kennedy

Marley Williams must play, this is not negotiable, we need a small defender and he was close to BOG in the VFL last week, MUST PLAY.

Bring Alex in, he's in our best 22 and hopefully Goldy and Ball are ready to go also.

Sorry for the intrusion, but I thought Fasolo wasn't eligible to play next week due to a VFL bye this week? I may be wrong.

I'm never confident playing you guys, despite a lot of personnel changes from the 2011 GF (for both teams), we match up well and I expect Collingwood to treat this as a season defining game.

We're likely to be without T Hunt (inj) and Kelly (suspended). Chapman and Corey both missed the Bombers game injured and I haven't heard whether they are expected to return.

Hawkins is still averaging 2.5 goals a game but is seriously limited by a back injury. Podsiadly has had a good season but is playing a different role to previous years - normally as a high half forward, and he spent plenty of time in the back line on Friday night.

Stokes, Motlop, Christensen and Smedts all have the ability to play forward and midfield, and each week a couple of them will bob up with 2-3 goals. Find a way to limit their influence (I for one would tag Stokes, he's been our best and most consistent player all year) and you're a good chance.

Sorry for the intrusion, but I thought Fasolo wasn't eligible to play next week due to a VFL bye this week? I may be wrong.

I'm never confident playing you guys, despite a lot of personnel changes from the 2011 GF (for both teams), we match up well and I expect Collingwood to treat this as a season defining game.

We're likely to be without T Hunt (inj) and Kelly (suspended). Chapman and Corey both missed the Bombers game injured and I haven't heard whether they are expected to return.

Hawkins is still averaging 2.5 goals a game but is seriously limited by a back injury. Podsiadly has had a good season but is playing a different role to previous years - normally as a high half forward, and he spent plenty of time in the back line on Friday night.

Stokes, Motlop, Christensen and Smedts all have the ability to play forward and midfield, and each week a couple of them will bob up with 2-3 goals. Find a way to limit their influence (I for one would tag Stokes, he's been our best and most consistent player all year) and you're a good chance.
We also need to stop stevie J.

We also need to stop stevie J.

SJ is a full time midfielder who rarely kicks goals these days.

Assuming Kelly is suspended, the experienced midfielder battles next week will be Selwood + SJ v Pendlebury + Swan.

Yep and young. We have to many inexprienced blokes playing imo. Sure a few is alright but suggesting putting more in isn't that direction we should be heading just yet
Everyone is saying to play martin, paine etc. We need more experience in, not young players. Bring didak in, I say.

Everyone is saying to play martin, paine etc. We need more experience in, not young players. Bring didak in, I say.
100% agree.

Johnson, Didak, Ball. Sure keep in a few kids Elliot and Dwyer (not a kid) but we need some experience.

100% agree.

Johnson, Didak, Ball. Sure keep in a few kids Elliot and Dwyer (not a kid) but we need some experience.
We need to get a settled team. Not a few kids here, a few kids there. At this rate, by the end of the season we will have used 35 players.

Who would have thought after 2010 that Geelong would still be such a powerhouse in 2013, while we would be a rabble. It's like a footy factory at that club.. it's a shame we can't replicate it with all our money.

They should pump us by 10 goals. I just hope we can have some pride and put in four quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would have thought after 2010 that Geelong would still be such a powerhouse in 2013, while we would be a rabble. It's like a footy factory at that club.. it's a shame we can't replicate it with all our money.

They should pump us by 10 goals. I just hope we can have some pride and put in four quarters.
I blame Tim Lane!
For Geelong being so good anyway.

Elliot needs to go back to the two's -and play him on the ball. He's a one trick pony at the moment. He constantly flies for speckkies (hasn't taken one since the Richmond game) and gives us nothing at ground level.
Macaffer should tag Stevie J all night. He has been their best the last couple of weeks.
I don't think we have a match for Motlop, Stokes and Christiansen. Small, quick forwards and on-ballers are killing us -Geelong have three of them :(
I'd bring in Ball for his strength, Williams for some pace out of the backline, Benny J and Goldsack (if both fit). Out go Elliot, Kennedy, Clarke and Mooney.

We just don't have the right mix , even last week against the Saints we didn't. Im sorry but Caff, as good as he has been a few weeks in new positions isn't a backmen. He was torn up and made to look out of place within the space of five minutes. If Bucks wants to play him in a defensive role , play him up forward as a tagging forward and just man up on one of their rebounders and run off them. He would react more naturally to that position

No bloody idea what to do if Lynch is out, Jollys going to be tested big time with the steeple chaser from Geelong running him around all game. Caff to go back up forward along with Goldsack. We need goals and these two are capable of 2 or 3. Recent times we look so one dimensional. Its a cop out to say Cloke needs to do more , its impossible when he has three on him.

Outs : Clarke, Kennedy, Blair

In: Williams, Didak, Goldsack

Williams (takes a small in the backline , don't care if he apparently cant kick , we need a stopper with a bit of grunt)

Didak (Plonk him up forward, you cant underrate instinct and experience, he will know where to run for the drop of the ball when Cloke gets triple teamed, why Elliot and Krakouer don't take great advantage of that I don't know )

Goldsack ( straight swap for Blair , I love Blairy , but hes offering nothing more than a first year player right now, Goldy can play his role and more)

We just don't have the right mix , even last week against the Saints we didn't. Im sorry but Caff, as good as he has been a few weeks in new positions isn't a backmen. He was torn up and made to look out of place within the space of five minutes. If Bucks wants to play him in a defensive role , play him up forward as a tagging forward and just man up on one of their rebounders and run off them. He would react more naturally to that position

No bloody idea what to do if Lynch is out, Jollys going to be tested big time with the steeple chaser from Geelong running him around all game. Caff to go back up forward along with Goldsack. We need goals and these two are capable of 2 or 3. Recent times we look so one dimensional. Its a cop out to say Cloke needs to do more , its impossible when he has three on him.

Outs : Clarke, Kennedy, Blair

In: Williams, Didak, Goldsack

Williams (takes a small in the backline , don't care if he apparently cant kick , we need a stopper with a bit of grunt)

Didak (Plonk him up forward, you cant underrate instinct and experience, he will know where to run for the drop of the ball when Cloke gets triple teamed, why Elliot and Krakouer don't take great advantage of that I don't know )

Goldsack ( straight swap for Blair , I love Blairy , but hes offering nothing more than a first year player right now, Goldy can play his role and more)
Agree. Caff is too slow to be a defender after the reco. He should play forward pocket. Dids is a must, give him one more chance. I think we should bring in paine instead of witts because witts will make us far too slow against a fast geelong side.

IN: Ball, Didak, Goldsack
OUT: Kennedy, Clarke, Seedsman(butchered it)- or - J.Elliott, has looked tired and average last 3 weeks.

B: N.Maxwell, N.Brown, B.Macaffer
HB: D.Thomas, B.Reid, H.Shaw
C: H.O'brien, S.Pendlebury, S.Sidebottom
HF: A.Didak, Q.Lynch, S.Dwyer
F: A.Krakouer, T.Cloke, T.Goldsack
R: D.Jolly, L.Ball, D.Swan
I: J.Thomas, J.Blair, J.Elliott
sub: C,Mooney

The only way we can stop their small forwards is to bring back our high pressure football and limit the quality of their entries. Last night Freo were able to carve us up with quick and precise passes. We also need to take our chances for goal. I am an optimist but even I cannot see us getting close to the Cats at this stage.

Our bigggest issue, as it has been for the past few years is our disposal and decision making when going forward is simply not good enough.
I put Geelong and maybe Hawthorn as the best skilled sides and we are miles behind these two.
We carry 3-4 blokes every week who's disposal is poor, or decision making is average.
Until we get these blokes out which may happen if we can get everyone back fit and there are more competition for spots, we'll struggle this year. The loss of Tooves is going to be huge.

One example of this poor disposal/decision making:
Last night we had the ball about 70m out from goal, Cloke led to the pocket and Lynch was close to him trying to block for him. The kicker ignored this option (Cloke may not have been free so may have been right) but then bombed the ball to the top of the square when Cloke and Lynch were 30m away from this area. Freo took an uncontested mark and took the ball away.
This sort of crap happens way too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 8 - Collingwood v Geelong - Changes & Prematch Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back