Preview AFL Round 9 - Collingwood v Geelong, MCG, Friday 21 May 7:40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to be funny here... but did anyone else think it looked like there were almost some tears in eyes when the pies left the field.. ball and beams in particular

I think it shows just how much the game meant to the pies... and they probably felt they were a lot closer than they really were?

Might have just been the view from my house, but we seemed to think they looked extremely disappointed, more than you would expect for 'just a round 9 game'

I don't know about fellow Cats fans, but the aspect that has disappointed me after last night's loss is the fact that it seems to be more about Collingwood's loss and their wasted opportunites.

The scary part of our win I felt was that we were nowhere near our best, we missed targets, looked uncertain at times with ball in hand and were guilty ourselves of wasting gettable opportunities.

Not to mention, the umpiring was an absolute disgrace, how that holding the ball was paid against Ling is beyond me, and some soft frees were awarded to the Pies, every game I have watched involving the Pies this year it seems the umpiring has clearly gone in their favour

In hindsight I loved the way the Magpies fans celebrated the Beams goal on half time, they celebrated like they had won a GF, even though it wasn't a goal and kicked after the siren

Biggest thing for me was that for all the talk of Collingwood's depth, I think we demonstrated the back half of our side is clearly better and can step up when needed. Chapman and Ablett were good but not nearly as damaging as they can be, but that void was filled admirably by Kelly and Bartel. Taylor I thought was only OK but again, any advantage Collingwood had was taken away by Lonergan who was awesome in defence early and took Cloke out of the game later.

Only concerns for me were Shannon and Hunt. Where has early season Shannon gone? Fumbled a stack when he had it - confidence just seems to have evaporated. And Hunt...I know everyone raves about his kicking but he coughed up two goals from turnovers and his opponent Beams kicked a bag. I'd almost be tempted to say put Gillies in instead, but we might be a wee bit tall.

I don't know. Maybe he's nervous about his place now Stokes is back? :confused:
I like Shannon, but when injured players come back in he might be in trouble if he keeps fumbling that much.

I'm prepared to cut Hunt more slack, he's still finding his feet after coming back in, and while he did some silly things, he also did some very good things at times. So therefore unless he are going to drop Mackie (he was the same Jekyll and Hyde last night) then Hunt stays for mine.

Be very interesting to see if any changes for next week, I am sure there are some sore bodies after 3 games in 13 days, and I see Bomber has already talked about a 2nd ruckman next week.

It wasn't a great spectacle. But what stood out to me was how well our defense performed once again. To keep the Pies to 50 (all be it with some easy misses) after they'd scored roughly 130, 150, 150 in the past three weeks was fantastic. They only had 3 separate goal kickers as well, something that they've prided themselves on this season.

It wasn't a great spectacle. But what stood out to me was how well our defense performed once again. To keep the Pies to 50 (all be it with some easy misses) after they'd scored roughly 130, 150, 150 in the past three weeks was fantastic. They only had 3 separate goal kickers as well, something that they've prided themselves on this season.
This is spot on.

Most of Collingwood's lost 'opportunities' came from their guys who are hard workers but just can't kick. Right at the forefront Ben Johnson, Swan, McCaffer, O'Bree, Toovey. You put games into particular players you gotta deal with what they serve up.

I think Hunt was mostly on Leon, but it looked like our guys were switching a lot during the game.

I'd like to ask you Geelong supporters a question. How does it feel to follow a side that is so damn good? Do you get bored sometimes knowing that the result is a foregone conclusion once you are clearly going to run away with the win?

I am completely and utterly envious of your position. I have never seen a side that can chop and change, bring KPP's in, suspend stars and rest the greats in the forward line and still be an unstoppable force.

I'm sick of getting my hopes up only to be shown who the real favourites are. Can someone else have a go please?

I'd like to ask you Geelong supporters a question. How does it feel to follow a side that is so damn good? Do you get bored sometimes knowing that the result is a foregone conclusion once you are clearly going to run away with the win?

We still remember 2006. And a certain missed opportunity in 2008. That pain in the guts is still a driving factor, and every victory tastes sweeter for the bitter pills we swallowed for a Very Long Time.

I am completely and utterly envious of your position. I have never seen a side that can chop and change, bring KPP's in, suspend stars and rest the greats in the forward line and still be an unstoppable force.

It's actually because we do chop & change that we maintain our momentum. We suspend stars who do not behave as we expect them to, so that when they return they come back as better team mates and better men for the experience.

We are committed to playing an exciting brand of football: man defences & 'risk & reward' running football. When The Genius That Is Bomber announced to our board that this was to be our strategy (after 2006), he advised them that when we make mistakes, we will be scored on. So he backs his players to be creative and unselfish, and they respond with flair and finesse. When we go on song, the explosive athleticism is so sensational that even our opponents find themselves attracted to our brand of football (and feel free to contradict me here, if I'm wrong :rolleyes:).

And above all else, we play as we do because it isn't logical for Geelong to be able to play AFL. We were a broke club in a small backwater a decade ago, before Cook, Costa, Thompson, Wells & then Balme (thanks for letting us have him, btw) created an organisation of vision, intelligence & real flair. And The Genius That Is Bomber empowered the players to create and maintain the culture that is the very core of our club, so it is the players who maintain our fanatical dedication to core values such as honesty, intergrity & accountability. And of looking after your mates and your club as if they were your family.

The laws of physics dictate that a bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly. Similarly, the laws of fiscal fundamentals indicate that a small semi-rural town of 160k people shouldn't be able to maintain an AFL club with close on 40k members, a profit line now entrenched well into the black, star players (and coaches) who stay at Geelong for less than they could get anywhere else, and a dominance of their competition now unparalleled in contemporary Australian sport.

But we do. "We are Geelong".

I'm sick of getting my hopes up only to be shown who the real favourites are. Can someone else have a go please?

I love you like a brother, but the answer is still "No". ;)

No, when you cried your way through GF's in the 90's like I did as a kid, you never take anything for granted. I love our footy, as much for results as the style and with how it keeps me on the edge of my seat, but I never, ever, take any game we play as a foregone conclusion.

No, when you cried your way through GF's in the 90's like I did as a kid, you never take anything for granted. I love our footy, as much for results as the style and with how it keeps me on the edge of my seat, but I never, ever, take any game we play as a foregone conclusion.

Respect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amen! Top post. :thumbsu:

Thanks mate...I'd like to say it was good character and all, but it's just really under the 'learning from pain' column.

Ahh being a kid following your football team, what a life!

Couldn't agree more. I've been to every Geelong GF since 1989.
I am savouring every moment of this era as I know it can't/won't last at this level for ever and the losses still burn, particularly 2008. But the memories we are building here will last me a lifetime!
And it's the way we've done it. No draft concessions. No bottoming out. Battling the salary cap, draft equalisation and now the Expansion Teams.
I get as much pride and pleasure out of watching how we set the Gold Standard in player discipline and redemption with SJ and now (hopefully) Stokes.
Then there's the genius of drafting Harry Taylor and the jPod!
All this while suffering the gut-wrenching blow of losing Matty Regan, an AA CHB in a Premiership Year, and the retirement of the great white hope Nathan Ablett.
So much to remember!! Lucky I have my DVDs.....

It's like you looked into my soul! +1:thumbsu:

The wounds from the 90's are deep, but their positive legacy is a greater enjoyment and appreciation of the success we have now.

Even when we're up by 10 goals in a final Q, I'm still anxious!!

We still remember 2006. And a certain missed opportunity in 2008. That pain in the guts is still a driving factor, and every victory tastes sweeter for the bitter pills we swallowed for a Very Long Time.

It's actually because we do chop & change that we maintain our momentum. We suspend stars who do not behave as we expect them to, so that when they return they come back as better team mates and better men for the experience.

We are committed to playing an exciting brand of football: man defences & 'risk & reward' running football. When The Genius That Is Bomber announced to our board that this was to be our strategy (after 2006), he advised them that when we make mistakes, we will be scored on. So he backs his players to be creative and unselfish, and they respond with flair and finesse. When we go on song, the explosive athleticism is so sensational that even our opponents find themselves attracted to our brand of football (and feel free to contradict me here, if I'm wrong :rolleyes:).

And above all else, we play as we do because it isn't logical for Geelong to be able to play AFL. We were a broke club in a small backwater a decade ago, before Cook, Costa, Thompson, Wells & then Balme (thanks for letting us have him, btw) created an organisation of vision, intelligence & real flair. And The Genius That Is Bomber empowered the players to create and maintain the culture that is the very core of our club, so it is the players who maintain our fanatical dedication to core values such as honesty, intergrity & accountability. And of looking after your mates and your club as if they were your family.

The laws of physics dictate that a bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly. Similarly, the laws of fiscal fundamentals indicate that a small semi-rural town of 160k people shouldn't be able to maintain an AFL club with close on 40k members, a profit line now entrenched well into the black, star players (and coaches) who stay at Geelong for less than they could get anywhere else, and a dominance of their competition now unparalleled in contemporary Australian sport.

But we do. "We are Geelong".

A very good overall assessment. Put our achievements so far into perspective - there was a lot of pain for passionate Cats supporters for quite a few years. So many lost GFs.

I am only getting used to Geelong winning now !

What impresses me now is that we are not just front runners. Early on we just rolled over the top of sides and were rarely tested. I always got nervous when we were tested. However come 2007 we were rarely tested - but we all got a little concerned against Collingwood in that final.

But now Geelong is a team that knows how to win from behind. They know how to hang in there and then win from behind. Last week was a good example, the 2009 Hawthorn game and the 2009 GF another example.

I think this team will be hard to beat in the finals as they will not know when they are out of the contest. They do not have to be leading a game all day to win it anymore. This side now would probably not lose the 2008 GF. They could now take the knocks of that game and still win.

I have great confidence then we will do well this year. If Corey and Ottens return, have long enough to get match fit for the finals - then we will be an even better side. Given we are already playing well - it becomes really important then to manage the side, knowing we are good enough, so we are in our prime come finals.

With few bad injuries, good injury management, a few rotations or resting of key players at key times - and using this policy to work out who are the next best players to use if we strike injuries in the finals - will I think see us thru to another GF appearance. This team is that good IMO.

We have a team that is a joy to follow. Enjoy it while the sun is out. I think somehow there maybe still a few more glorious September days for Cats fans ahead.

This would have to be the general sentiment of every Gen X Geelong supporter everywhere - it was a fantastic rollercoaster ride watching Ablett Snr, Brownless, Excell, Lindner, Stoneham, David Cameron etc. but at the same time, we won absolutely nothing. I would imagine St. Kilda supporters growing up now will feel the same way.

(only cried after '89, was too old after that:D)

Include 1989 in there too, and you've also spoken for me. :(

I'll never be arrogant in victory, because I know too well what it's like to be on the other side. I'll also never take any of this for granted, and no matter what happens in the future I'll be a proud Cats member.

Despite our run over the last three years, I still get excited when people refer to Geelong as the benchmark - because there were many, many long years when we were a long way off it and I never dreamed we'd be where we are today.

Yeah we were such a strong side over such a long period of time but we had too many glaring weaknesses that could be exploited by other good teams. Looking back I barely remember my reaction to any of it - except for the 95' Grand Final where I just sat in resignation - however now I feel mostly sorry for the players. Its almost a crime that the likes of Ablett, Hocking, Couch, Stoneham, Brownless etc etc never won a Flag.

I know its only a matter of time before we lose that edge, so thats why I try and be humble. Its all cyclical, and in three four years time the likes of Melbourne and WCE will be trampling all over us. My one wish as a supporter though is that we continue as we do and never bottom out. I remember how Carlton were such a proud club and then they got into the motion of tanking for priority picks and if that were Geelong I would have been disgusted.

In the past we may have never been the best side, but we were never the worst either :p

It's like you looked into my soul! +1:thumbsu:

The wounds from the 90's are deep, but their positive legacy is a greater enjoyment and appreciation of the success we have now.

Even when we're up by 10 goals in a final Q, I'm still anxious!!

it was about the 7 minute mark in the last quarter of the 07 granny that I put my arm around my sons shoulder, and said "I think we're home".I've been going to watch the cats play since about 1970. I took a lot of convincing.

I can't take this period for granted. Just amazement.

it was about the 7 minute mark in the last quarter of the 07 granny that I put my arm around my sons shoulder, and said "I think we're home".I've been going to watch the cats play since about 1970. I took a lot of convincing.

I can't take this period for granted. Just amazement.

lol, for me it was 3 quarter time, singing out the front of gate 2or3. There was about 100 people in a circle singing the cats song...

I'm sure our time will come soon, as long as we maintain our list and build the kids up physically. I'm starting to get over the whole contender/pretender crap. I'm sure you would have been copping it had Bigfooty been around in the late 80's/90's.

In the meantime I guess we all sit back and admire with absolut awe the Geelong bandwagon that just keeps rolling on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back