Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson Hately delisted. What happened to him? He was a pretty highly rated in his draft year. His decision to force his way back to Adelaide doesn’t seem to have aged very well.

Rule changes have made it very hard for this type of player, being big but slow hard ball distributor. Whereas even as recently as the 2018 draft it was a desired position a lot have changed in the last few years.

Having said that, he played a few okay games but was generally not great when I saw him.

Last edited:

A delisting doesn't happen immediately at the time it is announced. I believe that a player only comes off the list (officially) when the next list lodgement gets placed. This means that if any delisted player, for some magic reason, secures a contract worth big money via FA, the club would still be compensated.
Pretty sure they would be a delisted free agent. At the same time any player getting delisted isn’t suddenly going to get an eye watering offer.

Why should it be?

Literally no one knows what it'll be over the life of the contract, how do you calculate for that?

That's why CBA increases aren't included nor are team performance-based incentives.
Ralph has already reported what the likely CBA is for 3-5 years

There is a handful of 1mill players in the game for the past few years he expected over 50 in 2028 based on the CBA thats a significant increase

If the cap is %10 more in 2027-2029 then what it is now then thats an extra 80k if we have the benchmark of 800k for band 1

i don't think mckay would've ended up in sydney for less than $900'000, and he was never getting that from any club
Wonder too if it was that it has anything to do with its looking a lot like Sydney have Grundy they cooled on McKay now making a decision and moved on.

Last edited:
Whether Harms is the best option is another matter.

But I think people are looking at Harms the wrong way.

We need a physical, defensively disciplined midfielder like we need a big key defender and a KPF/CHF who can get around the ground and boss a contested mark. His age isn't relevant.
Is Setterfield not as defensivily disciplined as Harmes, Perkins?

Is Hobbs not as physical

Age is very relevant, always is, always will be

Ralph has already reported what the likely CBA is for 3-5 years

There is a handful of 1mill players in the game for the past few years he expected over 50 in 2028 based on the CBA thats a significant increase

If the cap is %10 more in 2027-2029 then what it is now then thats an extra 80k if we have the benchmark of 800k for band 1

So we don't actually know what the cap will be or what the biggest contracts will be?

Neither of which are relevant to what a compo pick awarded in 2023 is anyway.

They don't allocate a compo pick based on what a contract in 2028 might be relative to the rest of the league, they base it on how it compares to current contracts.

Why are we not signing Snelling then?

Perkins did some great jobs on Dawson, Cripps ect this year

You dont have unlimited list spots

We need half backs, quality KPFs, quality small forwards, quality mids more

The argument being snelling is missing other traits, aside from the fact we know what the team looks like with him in it.

I'd also say the point is we want certain traits, styles and personalities in this team.
Once they are in place we can look at the quality/age demographic of them and improve as we go from that baseline.

Not waiting for the perfect age player with everything to come in and save us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The argument being snelling is missing other traits, aside from the fact we know what the team looks like with him in it.

I'd also say the point is we want certain traits, styles and personalities in this team.
Once they are in place we can look at the quality/age demographic of them and improve as we go from that baseline.

Not waiting for the perfect age player with everything to come in and save us.

Snelling has been a real success story; 64 games from a guy picked up in the MSD is a great return.

He's been a hard-worker who has filled a valuable role in that 23 - 30 range of players on the list who can do their job when there's an injury.

If we manage to draft in some guys who can pad out that area of the list such that Snelling is no longer needed, then I wish him all the best. If he stays on another year to help continue filling that role, then I'm not going to kick and scream about it.

With Davey Jnr, Wanganeen, Menzie and then some depth in the midfield region of the list he's getting pushed further and further down the order as-is.

Why are we not signing Snelling then?

Perkins did some great jobs on Dawson, Cripps ect this year

You dont have unlimited list spots

We need half backs, quality KPFs, quality small forwards, quality mids more

Scott clearly doesn't rate Snelling, he's also not a physical presence. Not sure how you arrive at playing Guelfi over Snelling but anyway.

Defensive discipline isn't run with roles. It's a constant 2 way work ethic and sacrificial attitude around the ball. Not to mention that Perkins is generally awful around stoppages.

You've touched on a key point, though. It will almost certainly be a reality that nothing will change in the middle. We're all in with our approach. So I look forward to having the same discussion in 12 months time.

Oherwise I would play the 3 virtually untried small forwards on the list rather than prioritising 1 more list spot there.

Tex and A Davey (even if his future is higher up the ground) have as much ability, I'd say more, than Carlton's Motlop. Look at what Motlop has been able to do with a decent run of games. If J Davey is good enough, and those who have seen him play say he is, he will get to a point after about round 8 next season that he can play.

We don't develop smalls via the VFL because we always seem to be waiting for something our counterparts are not waiting for.

Snelling has been a real success story; 64 games from a guy picked up in the MSD is a great return.

He's been a hard-worker who has filled a valuable role in that 23 - 30 range of players on the list who can do their job when there's an injury.

If we manage to draft in some guys who can pad out that area of the list such that Snelling is no longer needed, then I wish him all the best. If he stays on another year to help continue filling that role, then I'm not going to kick and scream about it.

With Davey Jnr, Wanganeen, Menzie and then some depth in the midfield region of the list he's getting pushed further and further down the order as-is.
while i think in the past snelling has done amicably as a shutdown-defensive forward, as well as a good physical player, for someone his height he lacks the speed to have a genuine impact on the game (which i think is relevant for a number of our smaller players, think of a charlie cameron type) or the foot skills of a caleb daniel who can and does match the physicality of snelling

while i think in the past snelling has done amicably as a shutdown-defensive forward, as well as a good physical player, for someone his height he lacks the speed to have a genuine impact on the game (which i think is relevant for a number of our smaller players, think of a charlie cameron type) or the foot skills of a caleb daniel who can and does match the physicality of snelling

These reasons are why Snelling was an MSD pick-up and occupies that 23 - 30 region on our list where with a fully fit or a more developed list he's not playing.

I would suggest that amicable is the last trait you want in a shutdown-defensive forward...

Not perfectly accurate but generally decent

Some interesting names there:

Hugh McCluggage
Ben Ainsworth
Isaac Cumming
Harry Perryman

Cumming particularly interest me. Excellent ball user and was in and out of the GWS side this year.

Some interesting names there:

Hugh McCluggage
Ben Ainsworth
Isaac Cumming
Harry Perryman

Cumming particularly interest me. Excellent ball user and was in and out of the GWS side this year.

Cumming copped an injury before their Round 9 game then wasn't available for selection until after Round 14 which had the bye the next week.

He played a VFL match in that bye week, then was straight back in to the AFL side. So would think he's a required player at GWS.

Perryman or Ainsworth might be the gettable ones on that list.

images

Just get the feeling we’ve missed on McKay. Nothing with proper substance has said so but too many posts and whispers saying that he’s landed on the hawks.

Bit of a stinger, not because I think McKay is the answer to our premiership hopes but that if he signs for a 6 year deal and we also offered a 6 year deal then we are just so far and away from being a destination club that we once were, our appeal of playing in big games, being such a big club, worst class facilities and having cash to burn means sweet FA lol. Ahwell, hope I’m wrong but gut feel is hawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back