Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d rather 2 years of an average maybe cooked Dougal Howard on bugger all coin as a mature age stop gap then 7 years of McKay on top money to be slightly above average at best.

Man, are our KPP stocks shot to bits. I see one best-22 lock who is a genuine KPP (not undersized) - Wright.

Everybody else is a midget or permanently injured.
The irony of having Dodoro “build the spine first” list manager with a list devoid of a good spine.

Lucky for him we’ve lacked the spine to get rid of him.

Does anyone think nick Haynes could be a short term defense option whilst Reid and Hayes develop? Could possibly provide a cash damp from gws.

Why a disaster ? Would be good to fill the gap but it is not really a disaster. Not like getting McKay puts us in top 4 contention next year.

The money/contract is a bit of an issue for sure - but it would have given us our full back of the future.

There’s also no point having cap space if we aren’t going to spend it, right?

We need to look at improving at some stage.

You guys act like our only issue is defence lol.

Ben Mckay wearing a dons jersey next year won't change s**t for us.

This has Dylan Shiels written all over it. Apart from the trade. Who on this forum in hindsight would give Dylan Shiel the contract we did. At least DS had an AA selection. McKay has literally done nothing. 70 odd games in 7 years and his stats across the board are avg at best bar ONE - intercept marks. wow. who gives a s**t.

Our supporter base seems so desperate for any type of "good" news some people actually think chasing Ben for this amount is good. Its borderline laughable.

gerard on 360 had to stop himself from laughing. He literally said McKay has done nothing to deserve this contract amount. But thats the market. You don't buy stupid s**t on hot markets. Thats numero uno

We have a heap of issues.

But we need to start actually trying to resolve some of them soon

If we miss out on McKay it at least gives us $$ to fix our other two main issues. Big bodied midfield depth & genuine speed on the ball. back and forward.

Ridley is more important than any McKay and maybe Baldwin can fill a gap. We have time fo find another defender. Maybe Reid comes good too.

I wouldn't be opposed to McKay if the time and money is right but I also kind of want to see us not get him and get rid of Zerk at the same time. See how we fair, and if Reid can get on the park with Cox pinch hitting.

The only downside is I've looked ahead for the next 2 years in terms of free agency and there's not much on offer. Either they're too old or too small. But it picks back up after that though, so if we bite the pillow for a couple of years we could use the coin we've tucked away to prepare an all-out assault for the cogs we'd need around the time we'd expect our window to open.

So we don't actually know what the cap will be or what the biggest contracts will be?

Neither of which are relevant to what a compo pick awarded in 2023 is anyway.

They don't allocate a compo pick based on what a contract in 2028 might be relative to the rest of the league, they base it on how it compares to current contracts.
We have a very good idea

The avg salary of a player is expected to be 200k more in 5 years time which runs over Mckays time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The argument being snelling is missing other traits, aside from the fact we know what the team looks like with him in it.

I'd also say the point is we want certain traits, styles and personalities in this team.
Once they are in place we can look at the quality/age demographic of them and improve as we go from that baseline.

Not waiting for the perfect age player with everything to come in and save us.
Well thats a different argument if were considering all traits not just discipline and hardness

And on that basis i wouldnt touch Harmes with our situation either

Harmes wants guaranteed games, he doesnt get that with us and hes not playing for 150k a year

Not signing McKay is okay as long as we don't even up with another Weidemann on the list just because he is old enough to be shit.

Laverde and Ridley can carry on and Reid and Cox can provide the aerial support from the flanks.

McKay will be great for whoever signs him.

Scott clearly doesn't rate Snelling, he's also not a physical presence. Not sure how you arrive at playing Guelfi over Snelling but anyway.

Defensive discipline isn't run with roles. It's a constant 2 way work ethic and sacrificial attitude around the ball. Not to mention that Perkins is generally awful around stoppages.

You've touched on a key point, though. It will almost certainly be a reality that nothing will change in the middle. We're all in with our approach. So I look forward to having the same discussion in 12 months time.

Oherwise I would play the 3 virtually untried small forwards on the list rather than prioritising 1 more list spot there.

Tex and A Davey (even if his future is higher up the ground) have as much ability, I'd say more, than Carlton's Motlop. Look at what Motlop has been able to do with a decent run of games. If J Davey is good enough, and those who have seen him play say he is, he will get to a point after about round 8 next season that he can play.

We don't develop smalls via the VFL because we always seem to be waiting for something our counterparts are not waiting for.
You highlighted Harmes for 2 reasons which is covered by 3 other players

He is almost 28, unless you think were contending in 2025? Then he is a no go or your committing to Zerrett as a half back 100% for the next 3 years

Harmes isnt that great around stoppage either. If he was hed be playing for a far shallower midfield than ours last weekend

Harmes doesnt fix anything, as i said your relying on the draft and kids development

We have given away high capital for midfielders in Perkins, Hobbs, Tsatas and no doubt another this year. That is where the improvement has to come from

Not a guy turning 28 whos being pushed out

The solution isnt there, so dont manufacturer it

Totally, good luck at the Hawkes. Just looks like sour grapes when posters start potting McKay that he's a total spud when 4 pages back he was the second coming.
I was potting mckay (both of them tbh) for longer than i can remember....do i get a pass?

Not sad if we don't get him. Thats 750k we can spend on a quality player someday

Harmes to me feels like another Jake Kelly or Tom Cutler. Those players don’t raise the ceiling of your best 22 and ever so slightly raise the floor. Their best is serviceable and their average is crap.

Harmes to me feels like another Jake Kelly or Tom Cutler. Those players don’t raise the ceiling of your best 22 and ever so slightly raise the floor. Their best is serviceable and their average is crap.
Except 3 years older and plays in a spot where we have a tonne of depth and hes not a gun passing any of them by a country mile

Totally, good luck at the Hawkes. Just looks like sour grapes when posters start potting McKay that he's a total spud when 4 pages back he was the second coming.
Have you not seen how it works

As soon as player is linked to club in media heavily then he becomes 30% better automatically

We have a very good idea

The avg salary of a player is expected to be 200k more in 5 years time which runs over Mckays time

‘Expected’ to be, the ‘average’ salary of a player… so they don’t know. And for the purposes of compensation it’s irrelevant, as previously mentioned.

I’ve literally just re typed the same thing multiple times whilst you fail to comprehend it.

‘Expected’ to be, the ‘average’ salary of a player… so they don’t know. And for the purposes of compensation it’s irrelevant, as previously mentioned.

I’ve literally just re typed the same thing multiple times whilst you fail to comprehend it.
They can determine very closely future cap and player payments

800k in a 15.5 cap is far different to 800k in a 22 mill cap

The 800k band needs to change at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back