Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has copped a lot of negative analysis from some bf posters in recent weeks, but he generally is a good player. Not pick 3 of course, but he locks down and often beats the big opposition forward. His interception game is generally reliable too. He will pair well with Ridley.
Also hes had no motivation for the last 2 years...that may not change but i hope so. He atleast has Ridley, Redman, Mcgrath around him

His 2021 was excellent (if i have the right year)

Not unhappy about the McKay acquisition. I think it strengthens our list at the very least from a structural point of view.

If Shiel is the one to make way I understand that too. Good when he’s at his best but struggled to put a full season together.

isn't this essentially what Tsatas will end up?

Oh no, more than one weapon, more than one threat, more than one lever to pull.

However would we cope?

Jaye Clarke saying we offered less then the Hawks. Though not exactly clear on what we offered either

We are leading the race for Gresham

Goldy choosing between us and Colingwood.

North Melbourne free agent Ben McKay to join Essendon​

North Melbourne free agent Ben McKay has landed on his club of choice for 2024, and it may just be the start of a huge off-season for the Bombers as they look to bolster their list.

Jay ClarkJay Clark

@ClarkyHeraldSun

3 min read
September 22, 2023 - 6:48PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
CODE Sports
[PLAYERCARD]Adem Yze[/PLAYERCARD] named Richmond head coach

Essendon has won the race for North Melbourne free agent Ben McKay and is pushing hard for Jade Gresham and Todd Goldstein as part of a blockbuster triple play.
In one of the biggest moves in free agency history, the Bombers are in the box seat for St Kilda goal kicker Gresham and are fighting Collingwood for Roo ruckman Goldstein.
It looms as a masterful move from the Bombers who won’t have to give up anything in a trade for McKay, 25, Gresham, 26, and Goldstein, 35, as all three are free agents.
But North Melbourne faces a nervous wait over what compensation the club will receive for McKay’s departure as Essendon offered less money for McKay than Hawthorn, who was also interested.
It remains unclear whether Essendon’s offer is more than $800,000 a year for McKay, which would be required to trigger band one compensation, gifting the Kangaroos pick three as compensation.
The other outcome for North Melbourne is an end-of -first-round compensation pick which would slide back to the early 20s (following academy selections) in the draft order.
[PLAYERCARD]Ben McKay[/PLAYERCARD] has chosen Essendon as his preferred destination. Photo by Michael Klein.

Ben McKay has chosen Essendon as his preferred destination. Photo by Michael Klein.
North Melbourne could follow GWS Giants’ move (on Jeremy Cameron to Geelong) and match a free agency bid from Essendon to force a better trade deal, but it seems unlikely.
List boss Brady Rawlings said the Roos would consider their next move.
“We understand that free agency is part of football,” Rawlings said.
“Given Ben is a restricted free agent, we have the option to match any contract that’s on offer to him.
“The official start of the free agency period is still a couple of weeks away so we’ve got time to assess our options and make a decision in the best interests of the North Melbourne Football Club.”
The AFL is also weighing up a special assistance package which could hand the Kangaroos another early draft pick and young star draftee Ryley Sanders as part of its next generation academy.
The Hawks came hard late for McKay and are believed to have offered a more lucrative offer in a bid to pip the Bombers and beef-up Sam Mitchell’s back line.
But in a massive coup for the Bombers, list boss Adrian Dodoro landed McKay and remains the frontrunner for Gresham, who could add more potency at ground level in the forward half.
Dodoro is preparing to take former West Coast midfielder Matt Rosa under his wing for next season to help prepare him to take over the list management duties.
Richmond and Carlton are also in the running for Gresham, but the Saint is keen on Essendon.
[PLAYERCARD]Todd Goldstein[/PLAYERCARD] is also set to leave the Roos. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)

Todd Goldstein is also set to leave the Roos. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)
Goldstein is also weighing up joining forces with Sam Draper in the Essendon ruck department next year but has also attracted interest from Collingwood to help out Darcy Cameron.
The Magpies were caught short in the ruck this year when Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox went down injured, leaving the club to ruck Dan McStay and Billy Frampton this season.
The Magpies are in the premiership window which could be tempting for Goldstein who is still chasing a flag.
But Essendon play two ruckmen and are eyeing Goldstein who was one of the best tap ruckmen in the competition under Brad Scott at Arden St.
Importantly for the Bombers, they want to keep hold of their first round draft pick (eight) and add the mature-age talent after a disappointing end to the season put them out of the finals race.
Scott went down a similar route at North Melbourne adding free agents Shaun Higgins, Nick Dal Santo and Jarrad Waite late in their careers.

More Coverage​

Draft Intel: 10 top prospects to watch in Coates League decider
Yze grilled on expectations, McQualter, Ratten, top four
But Essendon will secure McKay and Gresham in their prime.
Essendon will lose defender Brendon Zerk-Thatcher to Port Adelaide, but McKay is the strong-bodied key defender the back line has been missing.
Port Adelaide only has a future first-round draft pick to pull off moves for Zerk-Thatcher and Esava Ratugolea from Geelong.
Originally published as North Melbourne free agent Ben McKay to join Essendon

Last edited:
Loving the Saints supporters coming in here over the last 48 hours talking like Gresham is GAJ. The idea that we'd trigger band 1 compo for a barely B-grade half-forward is just silly talk (unless we were looking to secure the compo pick in a later trade, which as has been pointed out by others here, is not the scenario Ralphy was blowing smoke about and certainly not what the Saints fans are imagining in their wild fever dreams).

Speaking of silly talk though, I'm still bullish on Zerk + 27 for Port's F1. They can then on-trade 27 to Cats for Esava. Not sure how how else they manage both: they can't do the inverse trade with Cats (Cats next pick after 7 is 81), and Port's current picks this year (37 and 43) are unders. I think both we and the Cats would be looking for something in the 20-30 range as market value.

We then either hold the F1 for next year's crop, or use it to trade into the late teens/early 20s on draft night if we see a slider we like.

Really quite galling if we are considering moving Shiel considering tonight’s game was dominated by a clearance mid that can drive his legs and take the game forward
Shiel aint DeGoey. He cant break or dispose well in tackles.

Loving the Saints supporters coming in here over the last 48 hours talking like Gresham is GAJ. The idea that we'd trigger band 1 compo for a barely B-grade half-forward is just silly talk (unless we were looking to secure the compo pick in a later trade, which as has been pointed out by others here, is not the scenario Ralphy was blowing smoke about and certainly not what the Saints fans are imagining in their wild fever dreams).

Speaking of silly talk though, I'm still bullish on Zerk + 27 for Port's F1. They can then on-trade 27 to Cats for Esava. Not sure how how else they manage both: they can't do the inverse trade with Cats (Cats next pick after 7 is 81), and Port's current picks this year (37 and 43) are unders. I think both we and the Cats would be looking for something in the 20-30 range as market value.

We then either hold the F1 for next year's crop, or use it to trade into the late teens/early 20s on draft night if we see a slider we like.
Do port need an F2 before they can trade F1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zerk + F2 for ports F1 works just as well.

I think the AFL would have to approve any trade of a port future first because of the JHF trade moving multiple firsts the past few years. But that’s been a successful trade for them so should be zero issues
We need to make sure we get true market value for BZT. The value of acquiring BZT and Ratugolea is being understated. They were bundled out of the finals in straight sets due to a lack of key defenders. Despite what Port BF nuffies are saying, the club wants both these players to push for a flag.

Really quite galling if we are considering moving Shiel considering tonight’s game was dominated by a clearance mid that can drive his legs and take the game forward
what's galling is a shiel degoey comparison lol. actually, probably more offensive than galling

what's galling is a shiel degoey comparison lol. actually, probably more offensive than galling

There’s one bloke on our list capable of driving his legs out of a stoppage and our moron coach has parked him on a forward flank.

Forgive me in thinking that to keep up with the Jones’s you actually have to keep up with the Jones’s.

McKay is an underrated pick up IMO. Need to exploit the FA market further with Gresham and the Shiel deal to build a core group in the right age bracket.
The thing that excites me the most is, he may not be the best FB but he is a genuine key position player.

As some mentioned, we haven't had a genuine sized defender for what feels like half a decade.

What would disappoint me is the length of contract. 5 years, 6 at a stretch takes him to 31.

There’s one bloke on our list capable of driving his legs out of a stoppage and our moron coach has parked him on a forward flank.

Forgive me in thinking that to keep up with the Jones’s you actually have to keep up with the Jones’s.

Is that how you use the expression to keep up with the jones’?

Normally the smart thing to do is not keep up with the jones’, So ….. trade shiel to avoid having a player that drives the ball fwd?

Is that how you use the expression to keep up with the jones’?

Normally the smart thing to do is not keep up with the jones’, So ….. trade shiel to avoid having a player that drives the ball fwd?

Ok let’s switch out the idiom for something a little more contemporary.

We’re behind everyone else, and we’re going to catch up to them by going slower than they are?

View attachment 1811343 1695433438543.gif

he has had 7 preseasons

he has played 70 games

whipping boy confirmed

i note its all dependant on what we pay. If we don't trigger band 1, i will be much less negative.

He's played 56 in the last 3 years so he's certainly put the injuries behind him. Ironically, Brad wouldnt play him when he was at Norh but we did have a very settled backline back then with Thomson and Firrito.

Ben has been excellent when the mix is right down back.

Personally I think you are getting him at the cherry ripe time and should be happy. injuries are behind him, entering his prime and has a couple of gears left in him.

He's played 56 in the last 3 years so he's certainly put the injuries behind him. Ironically, Brad wouldnt play him when he was at Norh but we did have a very settled backline back then with Thomson and Firrito.

Ben has been excellent when the mix is right down back.

Personally I think you are getting him at the cherry ripe time and should be happy. injuries are behind him, entering his prime and has a couple of gears left in him.

i have never and will never feel good about paying band 1 for an average player.

i have never and will never feel good about paying band 1 for an average player.

Nobody does but A. You always pay overs to get anyone to change clubs, B the bands are secret herbs and spices so its moot and C - you dont pay, the AFL does. Thats the only reason you guys are into him. You dont pay.

McKay strikes me as a very important structural in. The guy that can truly hold down a key back position against the bigger forwards. BZT got dominated at times this year. I could see our back 6 being really solid next year if Ridley can stay fit and McGrath can show a bit more consistency across the entire year. It'll also make it way easier for us to introduce the younger guys like Reid and Cox if we aren't either putting them straight onto the best forwards or having disadvantageous matchups using Laverde/Ridley on them.

I also like the idea of Gresham as well. A bit more experience up forward would be handy and I think now is the right time for some value acquisitions that mostly just cost salary cap and not draft picks. Then as we develop a bit more and become a genuine finals capable side then you can go more all in and start trading away the draft picks.

If we end up as:

In: 9 (Post McKay), 31, 37, 46, Hollands, Gresham, Goldstein and McKay
Out: Shiel (feel like he's gonna go), Zerk-Thatcher, Snelling, Stewart, Lord, Phillips, Montgomerie, Voss, McBride, Walla and Munkara

With someone like Parker as a Cat B I'd be happy. Snelling and Voss I think will be lucky to get retained at this point. I'd still be trying to get Hollands or Davies from GC for one of those second rounders though.
Revising this with the addition of McKay, replacing Lohmann with Hollands and losing 28 because of it.

Gives us a rookie slot to fill (Tex, Menzie, D'Ambrosio, Hunter) if we want to. Plus two Cat B rookie spots available. Also feel like we could look at targeting that pick 16/17/18 that Gold Coast will get from the Dogs with 31 and 37 if we wanted to. Use 3 picks, what will end up as 11/12/13, 21 and a pick that probably comes into the early 40's between GC and Dogs bids. Use them on Darcy Wilson, Archer Reid/Riley Hardeman and Taylor Goad, for the RD look at Will Brown and maybe a small forward who slipped through. Wilson as a mid/forward, Reid as a forward/ruck, Hardiman as a left footed half back, Goad as a Young ruck and Brown as a big bodied mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back