Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon says they're not talking to the media about Shiel, so that must be coming from Dodoro for whatever reason. Lyon is aware of Shiel's 2023 though, so he's obviously being discussed. This from Fox;

"Lyon refused to rule out interest in the Bombers’ midfielder, but questioned where the noise around the 30-year-old’s availability in the upcoming exchange period.

“Well as a club, we don't sort of conduct our business in the media,” Lyon said.

“Three's lot of noise around it.

“I know he missed the last 10 rounds with quite a few injuries.

“It (the noise) certainly wasn‘t generated from us.

“So I'm not sure where that’s all come from, to be honest.”"
Pick 13 and we don't negotiate with sex pests.

They both ripped into the decision and said the AFL needs to stop manipulating the competition and need to let club dig themselves out of the situations they get themselves in.

Interesting quote in there about getting nothing for being middle of the road. Sums up where we have been forever. Stuck in the cycle of mediocrity.

Massimo is so Hawthorn.. precise kicking left footer. Can see him having a career despite his defensive shortcomings.

Wish him all the best despite hoping he never wins another game.
If we are concerned at all in losing a fringe player when we finish 11th… our issues are much deeper than we think. Honestly think he’s fringe at the hawks too. All the best mass, we move on.

Sam Edmund

Dylan Shiel (Essendon) & Jade Gresham (St Kilda)

“The theory is, as reported in the Herald Sunyesterday, Essendon has an abundance of midfielders and Dylan Shiel turns 31 in March.

“He’s coming off a 12-game season and coming into the last year of his contract on a decent wage. This was his big six-year deal when crossing from the Giants when Carlton came hard for him.

“St Kilda aren’t interested in keeping Jade Gresham despite what they say publicly. He’s also well paid, and they need more midfield support.

“Gresham would leave as a free agent and because Essendon would pay him enough it gives St Kilda either a first-round or end of first-round compensation pick. It would be 13 given their first pick is 12, or at the end of the first round of course.

Then the trade period sometime later, St Kilda send a pick back to Essendon for Shiel. The theory goes it could be that same pick that they use in the Gresham deal. List managers I’ve spoken to said they would be floored if the Saints gave up a first-rounder for Shiel.

“They’ve got 31 so it would be more likely that the Saints would give up 31, or that second-round pick for Shiel and Essendon allow it given the Saints would be taking on Dylan Shiel’s wage at the same time.

“Essentially it’s a pick buy. St Kilda will be buying a pick here.”

Lyon says they're not talking to the media about Shiel, so that must be coming from Dodoro for whatever reason. Lyon is aware of Shiel's 2023 though, so he's obviously being discussed. This from Fox;

"Lyon refused to rule out interest in the Bombers’ midfielder, but questioned where the noise around the 30-year-old’s availability in the upcoming exchange period.

“Well as a club, we don't sort of conduct our business in the media,” Lyon said.

“Three's lot of noise around it.

“I know he missed the last 10 rounds with quite a few injuries.

“It (the noise) certainly wasn‘t generated from us.

“So I'm not sure where that’s all come from, to be honest.”"
allegedly shiel's leading the push to be traded but that could easily be smoke and mirrors

Sam Edmund

“The theory is, as reported in the Herald Sunyesterday, Essendon has an abundance of midfielders and Dylan Shiel turns 31 in March.

“He’s coming off a 12-game season and coming into the last year of his contract on a decent wage. This was his big six-year deal when crossing from the Giants when Carlton came hard for him.

“St Kilda aren’t interested in keeping Jade Gresham despite what they say publicly. He’s also well paid, and they need more midfield support.

“Gresham would leave as a free agent and because Essendon would pay him enough it gives St Kilda either a first-round or end of first-round compensation pick. It would be 13 given their first pick is 12, or at the end of the first round of course.

Then the trade period sometime later, St Kilda send a pick back to Essendon for Shiel. The theory goes it could be that same pick that they use in the Gresham deal. List managers I’ve spoken to said they would be floored if the Saints gave up a first-rounder for Shiel.

“They’ve got 31 so it would be more likely that the Saints would give up 31, or that second-round pick for Shiel and Essendon allow it given the Saints would be taking on Dylan Shiel’s wage at the same time.

Are we even going to use 31? It has to be an upgrade of picks somewhere, perhaps even 27 and Shiel for the end of first round compensation pick (no chance they’ll be getting pick 13).

Sam Edmund

personally can't see us ponying up too much cash for him but given we're likely spending big on mckay, but i'm no trade guru

Why wouldn’t we just give Shiel to the saints for 32 and then take Gresham for 500k? Paying Gresham 750 makes no sense unless we’re getting the pick back. Pick 32 will be pushed out quite a bit with academy, FA and father sons too.

Why wouldn’t we just give Shiel to the saints for 32 and then take Gresham for 500k? Paying Gresham 750 makes no sense unless we’re getting the pick back. Pick 32 will be pushed out quite a bit with academy, FA and father sons too.
Becuase saints won’t want to trade 32 for Shiel. And lose Gresham for peanuts.

Becuase saints won’t want to trade 32 for Shiel. And lose Gresham for peanuts.
“St Kilda aren’t interested in keeping Jade Gresham despite what they say publicly. He’s also well paid, and they need more midfield support.”

And 32 is not that great in this draft.

Edit: we apparently want a player for BZT. Given the range of ports picks I don’t think we rate the later second of the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let me get this straight, St Kilda want us to overpay for a player that don't want, so that they can get a high draft pick.
So that they can send a late 2nd back to us for a player that they want.
There is nothing in it for us, we could easily get a late second back from another club for Shiel, with or without his salary.

“St Kilda aren’t interested in keeping Jade Gresham despite what they say publicly. He’s also well paid, and they need more midfield support.”

And 32 is not that great in this draft.

Edit: we apparently want a player for BZT. Given the range of ports picks I don’t think we rate the later second of the draft

We may only be taking 2 picks in the draft which makes pick 32 redundant.

Worth mentioning that earlier today. Edmund said you needed to shed Shiels salary due to brining in McKay Gresham and your big re-signings.

So whatever pick we give you. Which doesn’t seem to be the first round compo, you might try move on if you guys believe you won’t use a second rounder.

We may only be taking 2 picks in the draft which makes pick 32 redundant.
Yeah, and the whole thing doesn’t make sense to me. Salary dump Shiel to take on another big salary for a so/so player. Unless we’re getting a semi decent pick back, paying Gresham that much doesn’t add up

Worth mentioning that earlier today. Edmund said you needed to shed Shiels salary due to brining in McKay Gresham and your big re-signings.

So whatever pick we give you. Which doesn’t seem to be the first round compo, you might try move on if you guys believe you won’t use a second rounder.

First part is incorrect though. Wording would be interesting, I’d hazard a guess it’d be along the lines of “Would help essendon in paying for McKay and Gresham”.

Either way, this whole scenario doesn’t really sound like it benefits us. And is very short term thinking (aka - apparently clearing shiel’s salary for one year…a guy we want to keep btw… by overpaying Gresham for at least the next 3.) The logic doesn’t work.

I promise you, salary cap relief isn't an issue at Essendon

Are we even going to use 31? It has to be an upgrade of picks somewhere, perhaps even 27 and Shiel for the end of first round compensation pick (no chance they’ll be getting pick 13).
31, 37 (Zerk), 49 (Mass) is 370pts on top of the Lions 1st rd pick which the dogs hold and have Croft
Could be a stockpile to target a 1st rd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back