Wendouree
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Heathcote Saints
Hi all i heard, afl wants Carlton, Collingwood & Essendon,
to get new away Jumpers for away matches siver with a dark Monogram
just heard it on white line feaver

what do you think? we never clashed with any clubs?

cheers

Carlton and Essendon don't clash with anyone and if they do, the other teams already have an alternate

Andyt30 said:
I think we won't have a say in it they want's us to have it by 2007 season

a very sad day indeed if that goes ahead like you say:thumbsdown:

Without getting stroppy at me here, as there appears to be a lot of emotion, why cant we have an away jumper. Its not as if our uniform hasnt evolved over the years anyway. Its a conitnuos thing.

Whats the actual problem ?

If it was to be changed why wouldnt we just reverse it instead of what the AFL has proposed.

It's a 'clash' jumper not an 'away' jumper, which is an important distinction to make. If there's a supposed 'clash' and we're the away team then we'd have to use the alternate strip.

I don't have a problem with it. It'd be very rare occassions where we'd have to wear it.

It's nice to see Carlton aren't acting like arrogant jerks like Collingwood who are of the opinion there's one rule for them and one for everyone else. The legal eagles at Carlton realise it's a perfectly legal decree from the AFL and thus we've come up with an alternate strip that may have to be pulled out once a season.

There's also an allowance for a change of jumper for special occassions (i.e the last Princes Park game) or Milestones.

Having said all that... How much of a problem is jumper clashes really? Not much at all. I'm not sure why the AFL needs to anger everyone over this, but they can and they are I guess

We need to be a progressive club if we are to thrive. An alternate jumper once or twice a year won't kill us. Go the silver or white with the blue monogram. I can live with that.

We are looking to offload Princes Park .... oops MC Labour Park to the AFL for 30 years to save the maintenance fees. It would be untimely to ******** them off at the moment. It is apparent that Carlton no longer have the money or the backing to obstruct the AFL for the sake of it. Take on board the small changes so we have enough credit to fight the larger changes.

The Old Dark Navy's said:
We need to be a progressive club if we are to thrive. An alternate jumper once or twice a year won't kill us. Go the silver or white with the blue monogram. I can live with that.
Ahh.. but...

They say 1 or 2 games a year, it'll defintely start like that and then sometime in the near future they'll make it more games. The number of games in ratio to alternate jumper is bound to increase in due time. Might even reach a stage where its 11 games - i hope not though!

I'd like an away strip. I reckon if we do get one it should be similar to Melbournes away strip(the one they wear against us). Have the huges carlton logo in navy blue and the rest white.

Thoughts?

I agree, big blue logo on white would look great. DEFINITELY NOT silver. Just cheap and nasty. White has class like the current guernsy. Dont get sucked into teh power style graphics. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankly I see this as such a non-issue it's not funny.

I simply cannot see what the big deal is. We would be required to wear the jumper on maybe 2 or 3 times in the home and away season, and if we're playing finals with a chance to win a flag they can wear pink and green for all I care. I love our jumper, but I cherish our 16 premierships a hell of a lot more!

On this point, the AFL has my total support.

i think a clash jumper would be fine, it can generate some PR for the club when released, can get some member/supporter involvement in either the design of the jumper of the final selection and if handled correctly can raise some revenue for the club through merchandise

my problem is with carlton selling thier jumpers for $180-$200

also may be a chance to get some sponsors onborad, like we did with blue M&M's

BTW the afl wants all clubs to adpot a clash jumper not just Carlton, collingwood & Essendon

Why do we have to use only blue and white? I reckon we should wear something like one of our training guerneys. - The one that's predominately yellow. I reckon the more proactive we are when dealing with the AFL's marketing ideas, the more attractive our club will be for sponsers. :thumbsu:

There's good logic behind a clash jumper too. Twice this year we've clashed with our opponents, and considering they were both away games, the fault lies with us.

I could live with a clash jumper on those occasions we play away to Geelong and Melbourne. A dark blue logo on sky blue background a la Sturt or the old Prahran jumper might be worth looking at too. Not the heritage jumper please.

Although I think socks are as big an issue than jumpers - how Collingwood and Adelaide wore the same last week is beyond me.

As a big fan of both the NHL and soccer I have no problem with Away jerseys. Hell in the NHL every team wears white away!

And for all those traditionalist freaks out there - just look at the Detroit Red Wings home and away jerseys. They have the classic logo on both jersey's:
- White on Red @ home
- Red on White Away

And both look plenty classy.

I actually look upon Carlton as the type of club who would adopt a clash jumper proactively.

Carlton are very traditional, but havn't been afraid to make changes in the name of progress. They went out to actively get the best players, and the best coach in the late 60's. They were one of the first club to start acting professionally with money around that time, and became successful because of that. They changed their jumper for the M&M's promotion, they considered playing all their away games in Sydney in the earely 90's etc.

Carlton have traditionally been quite a forward thinking club, and this is something they should adopt quite easily. I think the Carlton culture is more accepting of changes like this. Collingwood are not. Neither are Essendon but we are less vocal, because our culture is not as loud or abrasive like the Pies.

Dan26 said:
I actually look upon Carlton as the type of club who would adopt a clash jumper proactively.

Carlton are very traditional, but havn't been afraid to make changes in the name of progress. They went out to actively get the best players, and the best coach in the late 60's. They were one of the first club to start acting professionally with money around that time, and became successful because of that. They changed their jumper for the M&M's promotion, they considered playing all their away games in Sydney in the earely 90's etc.

Carlton have traditionally been quite a forward thinking club, and this is something they should adopt quite easily. I think the Carlton culture is more accepting of changes like this. Collingwood are not. Neither are Essendon but we are less vocal, because our culture is not as loud or abrasive like the Pies.

Our best proactive move was trying to buy North Melbourne!;) Now they are going to have to move to the Gold Coast. lol

Should definitely do it. Guernsey clashes (Melbourne in particular for us, worse for some other teams) have been a plague on the league for years, and it just looks unproffessional to keep on going with it. The alternate ones look good, give fans new merchandise to buy if they want (I'd probably buy an alternate one over the real one, just for novelty value), and solve that problem.

My favourite was the proposed Navy logo on silver background. Unique in the league (no-one wears silver), gives off an aura of class, and maintains the traditional elements of the Carlton jumper. I'd be pro-active and snap up that design before someone else comes up with something similar and gets first dibs on it

I like the idea of Carlton having a clash jumper. If it is marketed correctly, and I do mean correctly, it could create quite a bit of revenue for the club, which we all know would help the club out no end.

Secondly, we would have to wear it only 2-3 times a year, and really, it's hardly like we would be abandoning our traditional Navy Blue.

audas said:
I agree, big blue logo on white would look great. DEFINITELY NOT silver. Just cheap and nasty. White has class like the current guernsy. Dont get sucked into teh power style graphics. :(

How could you not like silver and blue, the colours of the mighty Dallas Cowboys! Is it because of Richmond's silver guernsey last year? which I agree did look awful, but that's probably due to the putrid yellow.

Silver and blue would look awesome IMO

Or even mainly white with blue would be good (just like the Cowboys home jersey :thumbsu:)

Carltons first colour was orange and think its a great colour (great to work with in design and marketing). A burnt Ochre kind of orange would be nice.
The orange comes from the caps we used to wear.

Choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Afl wants Carlton, collingwood & Essendon to adopt new away jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back