AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following couple of quotes are from the match report for our game - I'm confused by the terminology of subbed out as I didn't think we had subs in the AFLW or have they simple used the wrong word:

- The Bulldogs' midfield faced a further setback in the second quarter with Dominique Carruthers (eight disposals) subbed off injured.

- Sarah Hartwig kicked the Bulldogs' only goals, putting her side on the board in the last five minutes of the third quarter before being subbed off in the final quarter with a potential corked thigh.

Could be a good game next week. Sydney will have their tails up after breaking through for their first win in their history.

And I looks like some well deserved celebrations after today's win

Don't think it'll be another 75 point win like last year

Looks like we'll be playing on a ground the size of a postage stamp next week. Watching the Swans-GWS game from North Sydney Oval, and they were saying the ground is only 131m long, 36m shorter than GMHBA.

Means that Chloe Scheer can kick goals from half back though 😉

Means that Chloe Scheer can kick goals from half back though 😉
Could work in our favour if we could get quality ball out of the middle with the likes of Prespakis, McDonald and Morrison in the middle and good one-on-one players like Scheer and Darby up forward and Surman and Darcy Moloney at ground level, especially with the 5-6-5 set up they have at centre bounces.

Love the reply

Was weird in a few matches today the umpires actually reviewed a few decisions between themselves (goal, field and boundary) before signaling a score. I wonder if that was a directive made overnight after the Prespakis howler.

Was weird in a few matches today the umpires actually reviewed a few decisions between themselves (goal, field and boundary) before signaling a score. I wonder if that was a directive made overnight after the Prespakis howler.

I still need to watch a replay of our match and to see the reaction of other umpires at that decision

Watching it at the ground, after Prespakis kicked the ball, the goal umpire seemed to very quickly position themselves to the behind side of the goal post as if they just expected it to fade and be a behind - we had some very quick goal celebrations but I thought that must have been to try and fool the goal umpire

Instead, it seems the goal umpire was the one out of position and blindly went with what they expected to have happened

Watched the relay last night

The big names obviously good but I also like Surmans work. Both Moloneys I liked. Bowen seems a solid player too.

I was impressed with Crockett-Grills work as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was impressed with Crockett-Grills work as well.

She's a player who most would say has her limitations & a lower ceiling than a number of other players, especially in our midfield - in a way, you could liken or see similarities between her role in our W team and that of Tommy Atkins in our M team

IF they're the players that are expected to carry the workload in the guts, then I'm not sure we actually see the best of them and from a fan's perspective they're more open to criticism

But when we have stronger players around them, it then allows them to then play their role within the side which allows them to get the best out of themselves and I think we really saw that on Saturday - Prespakis, A.Mac & Nina leading the way in the midfield, and then we've got our midfield bull in JC-G who nicely went about her work & imposing herself on the contest

It would have been great to see her kick the opening goal, but she just never stops and got to love that about how the approaches the game

The following couple of quotes are from the match report for our game - I'm confused by the terminology of subbed out as I didn't think we had subs in the AFLW or have they simple used the wrong word:

- The Bulldogs' midfield faced a further setback in the second quarter with Dominique Carruthers (eight disposals) subbed off injured.

- Sarah Hartwig kicked the Bulldogs' only goals, putting her side on the board in the last five minutes of the third quarter before being subbed off in the final quarter with a potential corked thigh.

There's no sub but, since injured players leaving the field don't count toward the interchange cap, I guess they're just using "subbed off" as the terminology for that distinction.

Feels like this is Kharma for extracting the urine over the Ben Keays non-goal on mad Monday

Prespakis point should have been a goal, AFL confirms - Prespakis point should have been a goal, AFL confirms

In addition to the longer kicking, which was matched by really fantastic spread and positioning, also felt there was
#Better body positioning in contests, so we were winning one-on-ones smarter not just harder
#Better strength and fitness
#much more even contribution across the team - even though the footy intelligence of Prespakis and Morrison really stands out, and the obvious stars like AMac, there weren't anything like the number of "oh no" moments;
#much cleaner hands, especially when chasing a loose ball. like they each have spent months just getting the feel of it in their hands.
all of which suggests that the extra-long off-season was out to exceptionally good use.

And Moloney. Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Really skilled, great height, and elusive as a whip-snake. Rare combination...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back