AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aishling seriously looks like she could be anything. The athleticism, the skills, the willingness to take opponents on.

If they can get the ball forward to her often enough in a little space, look out...

Former skipper is impressed too...

We've seen this with our men's team and now we're starting to see it with our womens program - the pull of the Hoops & playing for the team they grew up supporting

💙

Kate Surman says her new status as a Geelong Cats player probably won’t “really feel real” until she makes the move back to Victoria, but it will be a homecoming of sorts for the lifelong Cats fan.

The forward/midfielder became a Cat earlier this month via a trade with Port Adelaide, which saw Maddy Keryk and Pick 12 head to the Power, and relishes the chance to pull on the Hoops for AFLW Season 8.

“It’s a bit of a dream come true – I’m 31, so it’s a dream that I never thought would actually be a dream,” Surman said.

“Growing up as a Cats supporter and then playing and then having my own Cats guernsey is a bit of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and a bit of a dream.

“It’s surreal at the moment, but I’m sure it will sink in once I’m down there.”

We've seen this with our men's team and now we're starting to see it with our womens program - the pull of the Hoops & playing for the team they grew up supporting

💙

Kate Surman says her new status as a Geelong Cats player probably won’t “really feel real” until she makes the move back to Victoria, but it will be a homecoming of sorts for the lifelong Cats fan.

The forward/midfielder became a Cat earlier this month via a trade with Port Adelaide, which saw Maddy Keryk and Pick 12 head to the Power, and relishes the chance to pull on the Hoops for AFLW Season 8.

“It’s a bit of a dream come true – I’m 31, so it’s a dream that I never thought would actually be a dream,” Surman said.

“Growing up as a Cats supporter and then playing and then having my own Cats guernsey is a bit of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and a bit of a dream.

“It’s surreal at the moment, but I’m sure it will sink in once I’m down there.”

Very pleased for Kate, no doubt. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around having a dream that you never thought would actually be a dream.

Sounds 'dreamy', I guess...

:think:

Very pleased for Kate, no doubt. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around having a dream that you never thought would actually be a dream.

Sounds 'dreamy', I guess...

:think:

Easy…it’s just worded a bit awkwardly & would sound better with a bit of editing

I’m a couple/few years older than Kate, but as a youngster if you asked me what I wanted to do it was to play AFL and as much as that was my dream, there was a couple of hurdles:

1st - my cardiologist didn’t think it was a good idea and nearly had a heart attack himself when a 9yr old me said that I wanted to play football when I grow up

2nd - there was no AFLW, and can’t say that the VFLW was a big thing back then either

As a kid I would have loved nothing more than pulling on the Hoops when older, it would have been the ultimate dream if you asked my family & especially my dad - but as a young girl it really wasn’t as option as girls just didn’t play football like the boys did when they grew up, so it was a dream without any real way of working towards it

So let’s take Kate for example - 10yr old Kate may well have dreamed about pulling on the Hoops but it’s a dream that 10yr old self knows at that stage she can’t work towards. If instead you could tell that 10yr old Kate that in 15yrs that she will have the ability to play football in a womens AFL league & a couple of years after that she could even play in the Hoops - then suddenly that dream has a reality & ending to work towards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's hope the AFL don't get their way here.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see the AFLW fixture mirror the men's, or at least have a season where everyone plays each other once a season, and then swap the home team every 2nd year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back