AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Gardiner gone, we only have 2 players left who we drafted in both the 2019 & 2020 drafts.
Moloney in 2020 & Amy Macdonald in 2019 (and she was pick 80).

Just goes to show how pathetic our recruiting was in the early years and it wasnt until 2021 (with a fair amount of AFLW assistance) that we got our act together.

So what is the difference with the draft? Have we actually got the number 1 pick now? Because for a fringe player that is a great get... and to be honest anything is a good outcome as she was not really a game changer or one to lose sleep over IMO

So I have been looking and as far as I can tell we have gotten the number 1 draft pick for Gardiner, that is an almighty win as far as I am concerned. She was down the pecking order for us and replacable.. we have the chance now to get the top young girl in the country, and IMO with the development and exposure into junior girls footy just as the natural flow on from the AFLW the talent level is rising rapidly there... and the person we get will be more likely to be a very good immediate player than it was ever 2-3 years back

So I have been looking and as far as I can tell we have gotten the number 1 draft pick for Gardiner, that is an almighty win as far as I am concerned. She was down the pecking order for us and replacable.. we have the chance now to get the top young girl in the country, and IMO with the development and exposure into junior girls footy just as the natural flow on from the AFLW the talent level is rising rapidly there... and the person we get will be more likely to be a very good immediate player than it was ever 2-3 years back
#1 pick is a mighty return - not sure of the caveats in the draft - but still... seems more than fair return.

GO Catters

#1 pick is a mighty return - not sure of the caveats in the draft - but still... seems more than fair return.

GO Catters
it is massive overs just on face value, there is not a chance in hell she is worth the number 1 pick. Unless there is more going on that I haven't found out yet (and there is a sizeable chance this is the case)... we are making out like bandits here

With Gardiner gone, we only have 2 players left who we drafted in both the 2019 & 2020 drafts.
Moloney in 2020 & Amy Macdonald in 2019 (and she was pick 80).

Just goes to show how pathetic our recruiting was in the early years and it wasnt until 2021 (with a fair amount of AFLW assistance) that we got our act together.

That said, AMac was a "Wells special" - I know, he's not the AFLW list manager but the term still applies.

I think Darcy still has huge upside, even though she's more than earning her spot in the team.

Scrolling through the 2020 AFLW draft, we did pick up Liv Barber early too - thought she looked good (albeit injury prone) before packing up for the bright lights of Melbourne.

Remmos (39) and Williams (27) were misses, though Williams played 5 games for the Tigers last season - more than she played for us.

2019 was not so good, though our first pick again (Millie Brown) decided to also head for the big city so maybe we're more the victims of circumstance than just poor drafting.

So what is the difference with the draft? Have we actually got the number 1 pick now? Because for a fringe player that is a great get... and to be honest anything is a good outcome as she was not really a game changer or one to lose sleep over IMO

The main difference between this upcoming draft and the standard/traditional draft, is that this isn't a completely open draft

Instead, this is an overage/mature selection draft where the available players have been in previous draft/s

The key reason for this is due to the short turnaround been the two seasons last year, and this is seen as a bridging draft with things to return to normal ahead of the next season

That's one of the contributing factors with teams being more willing to trade picks this trade period than we have necessarily seen previously

And while it's an overage draft, that doesn't mean selecting 25yr olds - still the opportunity to look at 19/20yr olds, and with the VFLW starting up it's a chance to look at the talent coming through there

That said, AMac was a "Wells special" - I know, he's not the AFLW list manager but the term still applies.

I think Darcy still has huge upside, even though she's more than earning her spot in the team.

Scrolling through the 2020 AFLW draft, we did pick up Liv Barber early too - thought she looked good (albeit injury prone) before packing up for the bright lights of Melbourne.

Remmos (39) and Williams (27) were misses, though Williams played 5 games for the Tigers last season - more than she played for us.

2019 was not so good, though our first pick again (Millie Brown) decided to also head for the big city so maybe we're more the victims of circumstance than just poor drafting.

And with Remmos she was also splitting her time over winter between basketball with the Supercats & our VFLW team

She may have been bit of a speculative pick that didn't pay off

Agreed - she didn't seem to be more than a good ordinary player, at least at AFLW level. Would pop up and do some good things every now and then, but from a team / list perspective, nothing we probably can't cover? And #1 - even in a supplementary draft - is very useful.

This is a very shallow draft pool due to the caveats around it but no1 is quite a good result for us though im sad to see her go.

This is a very shallow draft pool due to the caveats around it but no1 is quite a good result for us though im sad to see her go.
I was absolutely a Laura fan. But the stellar VFLW form wasn't really translating to consistent impact at the top level. She may go on to be a really quality contributor at the Swans, given more time and opportunity.

But I can certainly see the prospect of this being a win-win-win (for Cats/Swans/Gardiner) down the track. Seems like an equitable outcome for all parties involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why I clicked on the article, but this is from the Swans article regarding the Gardiner trade - seems we've got 2 picks in return for Laura moving north:

The Sydney Swans welcome Laura Gardiner to the red and white after securing a trade with Geelong Cats, who will receive picks 1 and 27 of the AFLW Season Eight Supplementary Draft.

Good excuse for a holiday:

Geelong coach Dan Lowther and captain Meghan McDonald made a last-ditch trip to Ireland to win the pair's signatures.

The pair join fellow countrywoman Rachel Kearns at the Cats, who now have one remaining list spot to fill. The club holds the No.1 pick in Tuesday's supplementary draft.

That also makes 6 Irish lads & lasses at the club - obviously they're not all from the same county's, but it's got to be welcoming to already have fellow countrymen & women at the club when you're considering moving to the other side of the world

Good excuse for a holiday:

Geelong coach Dan Lowther and captain Meghan McDonald made a last-ditch trip to Ireland to win the pair's signatures.

The pair join fellow countrywoman Rachel Kearns at the Cats, who now have one remaining list spot to fill. The club holds the No.1 pick in Tuesday's supplementary draft.

That also makes 6 Irish lads & lasses at the club - obviously they're not all from the same county's, but it's got to be welcoming to already have fellow countrymen & women at the club when you're considering moving to the other side of the world

Definitely helps that we've signed two teammates as well, as they'll already know one person when they come over here. I wonder it Tuohy will put as much work in getting this duo up to speed on Aussie Rules as he did when Rachel Kearns first got to the club too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back