Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's happened to 6 of the last 23 teams that started 4-1. Which still makes the $2.10 for the eight look attractive.
It’s early days yet. But given the start that is good value now.

Saints over achieving at the moment. Richie doing well with what he has but still feel as though they need access to the top 1-4 in the draft. Great efforts though.

Our 2017 picks 7 & 8 & 2018 pick 1 are still to come into the side. Despite our good start I still think we’ll add another top 12 pick this year. That’s quite a bit of talent to add to the team. In addition, hopefully we can add a quality free agent or two over the next 12-24 months & Hanneberry & Carlisle to return. Finally, we are one of the younger teams in the comp, from memory we are around the 3rd youngest, therefore there’s plenty of growth left in this group. Maybe not finals this year & highly unlikely top 4 however 2021 & beyond bodes well IMO.

Unfortunately, McCartin and Roberton have both likely played their last games, so wouldn’t be highlighting them as “to come back in”. Thankfully, King takes McCartin’s place as the young KPF (and supposedly should be better) whilst Wilkie has slotted in nicely to Roberton’s role.

Barring their injuries, King would supposedly pushed Walsh for the 1st pick, and Bytel would’ve been a first round selection (draft-watchers correct me, please). Add in Clark and Coffield who were pick 7 and 8, respectively, and there should be some good youth coming through. But I’m not getting ahead of myself, because if all/most of these guys can’t take the next step and the Saints can’t get Hannebery right, then the only real addition is Carlisle (plus Steven getting back to fitness) so this side could be “it”.

Until St Kilda beat a side that can’t, in some way, have their performance explained by their own shortcomings, I’m keeping the lid firmly on. Whilst I think that Purple rat and others in the media focus too much on the other sides in St Kilda’s wins, it’s not entirely invalid.

Unfortunately, McCartin and Roberton have both likely played their last games, so wouldn’t be highlighting them as “to come back in”. Thankfully, King takes McCartin’s place as the young KPF (and supposedly should be better) whilst Wilkie has slotted in nicely to Roberton’s role.

Barring their injuries, King would supposedly pushed Walsh for the 1st pick, and Bytel would’ve been a first round selection (draft-watchers correct me, please). Add in Clark and Coffield who were pick 7 and 8, respectively, and there should be some good youth coming through. But I’m not getting ahead of myself, because if all/most of these guys can’t take the next step and the Saints can’t get Hannebery right, then the only real addition is Carlisle (plus Steven getting back to fitness) so this side could be “it”.

Until St Kilda beat a side that can’t, in some way, have their performance explained by their own shortcomings, I’m keeping the lid firmly on. Whilst I think that Purple rat and others in the media focus too much on the other sides in St Kilda’s wins, it’s not entirely invalid.

I’ve removed both Robbo & McCartin from my thinking. I doubt either plays again. Not for St Kilda anyway.

As you said, I think we cover both with Wilkie & King, which could actually be a net gain given Wilkie’s comparability (minor downgrade) to Robbo & King’s obvious talent advantage (significant upgrade) over McCartin

Nah **** purple.

IF you still can’t give us credit after starting 4-1 when we were widely tipped to be wooden spooners,

THEN you are clearly the biggest ****wit going around in the media.

The best thing about our current position is going into this year I thought we had no future.

Now I’m not saying our future looks much better than everyone else’s right now. But it’s so rewarding to finally see our lesser players standing up. Players like billings, Lonie and Sinclair are finally showing us what they are capable of.

I'm not sold on the Saints at all yet. They beat GC, Bombers when they were a rabble, lost to freo, beat Hawks and a beat a decrepid Melbourne. Are any of those contenders? You give that draw to any good side and they'd probably be 5 and zip.

Sure they look better than last season. But let's see how they match up to a decent side first.

I'm not sold on the Saints at all yet. They beat GC, Bombers when they were a rabble, lost to freo, beat Hawks and a beat a decrepid Melbourne. Are any of those contenders? You give that draw to any good side and they'd probably be 5 and zip.

Sure they look better than last season. But let's see how they match up to a decent side first.

We were 6 points away from being 5 and zip. You saying we're that close to being a good side? :eek:

All those teams seem to be doing better than most right now.

But you are right, we should not get carried away so early. We've been pretty lucky with some close wins too.

You realise it’s completely hypocritical to say we beat Gold Coast when they are crap even though they have been great this year and yet in the same breath say the opposite of Melbourne who made a prelim last year but because they’re going crap so far this year?

Youve missed the point if this thread. We’re not expecting to make finals. We’re not trying to say that we aren’t having any more problems. The point is that Allan Richardson needs to be under more pressure for his performance and he has performed well under pressure. It’s not just him. We know that it’s also due to assistants and our off field group.

We’re also revelling in the fact that for the first time in a while, we’re not a complete basket case. Even with your clearly unimpressed view you have to concede we’re not terrible this year.

Don’t worry. It will all come crashing down eventually and then people like you can be nice and happy that normalcy has resumed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back