Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the game yesterday and you could just sense the feeling in the atmosphere that Richardson is gone.
Unfortunately for Richardson, he just doesn't have enough elite talent to work with. I did not see any standout player for the Saints.
On the other side of things, Brisbane look to have a whole core of brilliant players and they are long and very tall.
And why don’t we have elite talent? Is it every single player on our list is no good? Or is it due to development? I’m pretty confident I know what the issue is.

The issue we have is that Richo reportedly has a trigger clause that gives him next year if we win a final, so if we were to sack him now (thus taking away his chance to trigger that final year), we presumably would be required to pay out as much as all of next year's contract.

So that is why we might have to wait until finals are out of the equation mathematically before sacking him, as much as we might like to do it ASAP- to not start looking too far after North and Carlton.
I don’t think that’s true, he isn’t contracted for next year yet so why do we have to pay him out? Regardless I’d do it anyway. He’s had FIVE years, that’s more than enough time and he’s still not performing. Even something as stupid as starting Carlisle forward today, just doesn’t make sense and reeks of desperation.

I went to the game yesterday and you could just sense the feeling in the atmosphere that Richardson is gone.
Unfortunately for Richardson, he just doesn't have enough elite talent to work with. I did not see any standout player for the Saints.
On the other side of things, Brisbane look to have a whole core of brilliant players and they are long and very tall.

We have enough elite talent, Richo just makes them look bog ordinary.

And why don’t we have elite talent? Is it every single player on our list is no good? Or is it due to development? I’m pretty confident I know what the issue is.

No, not every single player on the list is poor but you haven't targeted any brilliant players. Does St Kilda have any indigenous players on their list?
I hope I am not out of line asking the question but Brisbane have a great diversity of talent. Their indigenous players cut you guys up to pieces today. They have very tall and extremely athletic players.
I didn't see any jumping beans for the Saints. Not enough spring heeled jacks.
Poor recruiting in my opinion.

No, not every single player on the list is poor but you haven't targeted any brilliant players. Does St Kilda have any indigenous players on their list?
I hope I am not out of line asking the question but Brisbane have a great diversity of talent. Their indigenous players cut you guys up to pieces today. They have very tall and extremely athletic players.
I didn't see any jumping beans for the Saints. Not enough spring heeled jacks.
Poor recruiting in my opinion.

Did they cut them up because they're indigenous or because they're good at football? Probably could have worded this better.

Does St Kilda have any indigenous players on their list?

Greshem (who is arguably their most talented player), Parker and Long come straight to mind as being indigenous I think? Someone may be able to confirm for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is elite?
Steven would be borderline elite.

Most clubs have 2 or 3 elite players in the starting 22.

Billings, Gresham, Hannebery and Carlisle would all be considered elite while Membrey would make any teams forward line as a medium sized forward.

We've had bad luck with injuries this year along with the unavailability of McCartin, Steven and Roberton but even so we shouldn't be getting thrashed by a middle of the road Brisbane team at home with the team we put out there yesterday. The same old problems just aren't being fixed and that falls back on the coach.

Get a proper and productive game plan.
Have players picked on merit and form.
Have players played in their proper positions.
Boost in moral.
Give Ratten the rest of the year to see what he can do with the group.
Stop supporters being turned off going to the footy.

He’s had 5 years and is one of the clubs longest serving coaches, and we are still going no where. Why keep him? What has he done to deserve to keep his job?
Agree. The precedent is set this year with Bolton getting sacked and Scott getting tapped on the shoulder. Unless it happens this week, a smashing against Richmond will tip it over the edge, but I very much think St Kilda will respond.

I was genuinely shocked yesterday, I haven’t seen the Saints roll over like that in a long time.

Greshem (who is arguably their most talented player), Parker and Long come straight to mind as being indigenous I think? Someone may be able to confirm for me.

Yep all of those plus Robbie Young and going forward Gresh is in the small handful of players with elite potential. The other poster doesn't have a clue.

Billings, Gresham, Hannebery and Carlisle would all be considered elite while Membrey would make any teams forward line as a medium sized forward.
Hannebury hasn't been elite for 2+ years.

Membrey is very good though, Hunter Clark should reach that level and Nick Coffield should be worth the wait, very highly rated junior.

We've had bad luck with injuries this year along with the unavailability of McCartin, Steven and Roberton but even so we shouldn't be getting thrashed by a middle of the road Brisbane team at home with the team we put out there yesterday. The same old problems just aren't being fixed and that falls back on the coach.

Hannebery hasn't had a good season since 2016.
I can't remember a year Carlisle would be in the top 50 players in the comp - certainly never made an AA squad, his best B&F performance was a 4th.

Marshall probably has a better claim than both right now as he can be argued to be the 'best of the rest' (behind Gawn and Grundy) as a ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back