Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you said to me pre season would you be ok with 6-7 after 13 I'd vehemently agree after all the injuries but it seems in spite of Richo not because of him.

Needs to go badly. Club needs a big shake up and an attitude change.

Hannebury hasn't been elite for 2+ years.

Membrey is very good though, Hunter Clark should reach that level and Nick Coffield should be worth the wait, very highly rated junior.

Hannebery still has the potential to be an elite player again now that he's got his body right, he was pretty good yesterday for his first game back.

Clark and Coffield have been disappointing so far for top 10 picks, they are still only young but I have my doubts that they will become elite players.

Hannebery hasn't had a good season since 2016.
I can't remember a year Carlisle would be in the top 50 players in the comp - certainly never made an AA squad, his best B&F performance was a 4th.

Marshall probably has a better claim than both right now as he can be argued to be the 'best of the rest' (behind Gawn and Grundy) as a ruckman.

Like Membrey, Carlisle would make any team in the comp, even the all star North line up.

Marshall definitely has the potential to become an elite ruckman, he's still only 23 and is already matching it with some of the best ruckmen in the game.

I'll admit, after their good start to the year (4-1, with the only loss being by 5 points on the road in Perth), I was of the belief that the Saints had turned the corner.

2-6 since then, including 4 losses of 40+ points, and the only wins coming against the bottom two sides, along with a bottom 4 percentage, and they're looking putrid right now.

St Kilda are finding a few this year atleast. Rowan Marshall looks A grade, Josh Battles disposal is atrocious but he does everything else well, Matthew Parker looks like he will have a long career.

The real problem has been their horrible selections with their first round picks. Billings aside the rest have faltered and failed to live up to the hype for injury reasons as well as lack of talent reasons.

If St Kilda have millions to spend id like to see them be aggresive and trade away their top picks. Cant bomb what you dont have. Focus on the later stages of the draft. A area they are doing quite well in as of late

Interestingly, the Saints are 17th in the league for win/loss ratio in 1st (17th in percentage too) and 3rd quarters (15th in percentage). To me, this is a mental thing, but whether that's poor preparation and motivation by the coaches OR the players is to be determined, I guess.

Perhaps they play better when they're given more freedom and leeway, rather than rigid pre-game and half-time drilling of "the message" and "the gameplan"?

Billings, Gresham, Hannebery and Carlisle would all be considered elite while Membrey would make any teams forward line as a medium sized forward.

We've had bad luck with injuries this year along with the unavailability of McCartin, Steven and Roberton but even so we shouldn't be getting thrashed by a middle of the road Brisbane team at home with the team we put out there yesterday. The same old problems just aren't being fixed and that falls back on the coach.
Some very good players there but if they are 'elite' then so are about 1/4 of the players in the AFL.

Steven is probably elite but McCartin is even injury free pretty close to a spud. Roberton is a quality player.

Matthew Parker looks like he will have a long career.

23 years old, averages 10 disposals and a goal a game, and has gone goalless in 5/13 games. 190cm tall, but rail thin and doesn't provide a marking target. Threatens with flash, but kind of seems like a junk stopgap TBH.

23 years old, averages 10 disposals and a goal a game, and has gone goalless in 5/13 games. 190cm tall, but rail thin and doesn't provide a marking target. Threatens with flash, but kind of seems like a junk stopgap TBH.

Thats because St Kilda are well crap at kicking the ball to a forward. He is very good at pressure acts, disposes well when he gets it and overall a smart footballer.

St Kilda have some issues but dont think forward line is one of them. Its Seb Ross/Jack Steele and the like absolutely torching the ball forward of the centre as well as the worst half back line in competition for disposal too. For me they have a forward line that is in say the top 8 in the competition. Will be top 5 if Max King comes on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope definitely you , what was it after freo beat you in rd 3 you declared your side “wouldn’t lose to freo for at least the next 5 years”.
Makes ng such grand statements definitely reeks of someone pretty chuffed at where their team is.
You obviously cannot read bait when you see it. You took it. I knew you and a couple of others would be in the shadows reading every post. You're obsessed. Here you are months later reciting it.

Like mate. Get a hobby!

I'll admit, after their good start to the year (4-1, with the only loss being by 5 points on the road in Perth), I was of the belief that the Saints had turned the corner.

2-6 since then, including 4 losses of 40+ points, and the only wins coming against the bottom two sides, along with a bottom 4 percentage, and they're looking putrid right now.
Its falling 70 points behind against teams that were 7th and 9th during yesterdays game that should be the final blow. Cant say the team is ready to take any step forward when they cant even show they can compete with fringe top 8 sides. Injuries shouldn't mean blowouts in these types of games.

Hannebury hasn't been elite for 2+ years.

Membrey is very good though, Hunter Clark should reach that level and Nick Coffield should be worth the wait, very highly rated junior.

Coffield only just going in the 2's. Every chance to turn in to another plodding back flanker unfortunately. Saints have about 12 of these. Hope he can turn it around.

How much responsibility do the players hold? The coaches can't execute the skills for them.

They can alter game style to ensure the right people get the ball in the right areas of the ground. They have a complete inability to get the best ball users the ball.

Savage, Newnes and Clark need to be getting the ball down back 90% of the time. Instead its Battle/Geary/Billings who are. Two of those are awful disposers and with Billings you want him getting the ball closer to the forward 50. If I took over tomorrow first thing id do is essentialy change the entire defense and midfield strategy. My team would be

FB: Battle, Carlisle, Newnes
HB: Clark, Bruce, Savage
C: Billings, Ross, Acres
HF: Sinclair, Membrey, Hind
FF: Long, King, Parker
R: Marshall, Hanneberry, Gresham
I/C: Dunstan, Armitage, Coffield, Patton

Think Bruce is wasted up forward, he is a intercept marker if I have ever seen one. Clark and Savage need to be fed the ball. Newnes may have more talent then the role ive given him but they need a lock down defender. Acres needs to sit on the wing and be a full time midfielder. King can chop Marshall out of the ruck when needed.

How much responsibility do the players hold? The coaches can't execute the skills for them.
And the ones not performing will get delisted or moved on.

That does not absolve Ratten or richo of responsibility.

The forward set up and ball movement is absolute junk right now. It's worse than last year.

People have this warped view of Ratten. A failed senior coach.

St Kilda are finding a few this year atleast. Josh Battles disposal is atrocious but he does everything else well,
Lol, what!? Battle's kicking is arguably his biggest strength. One of the best and most precise kicks I've seen for someone of that size and he's also very dual-sided.

Has hardly missed a target all year (hence an exceptional kicking efficiency of over 86%!) and it's not because he's taking the safe kicks that others his size usually take in defence, either. He consistently goes for the types of kicks that the likes of Nathan Brown wouldn't dream of attempting, and almost always pulls them off.

Mystifying comment.

Last edited:
They can alter game style to ensure the right people get the ball in the right areas of the ground. They have a complete inability to get the best ball users the ball.

Savage, Newnes and Clark need to be getting the ball down back 90% of the time. Instead its Battle/Geary/Billings who are. Two of those are awful disposers and with Billings you want him getting the ball closer to the forward 50. If I took over tomorrow first thing id do is essentialy change the entire defense and midfield strategy. My team would be

Think Bruce is wasted up forward, he is a intercept marker if I have ever seen one. Clark and Savage need to be fed the ball. Newnes may have more talent then the role ive given him but they need a lock down defender. Acres needs to sit on the wing and be a full time midfielder. King can chop Marshall out of the ruck when needed.

Personally, I'd let Jake Carlisle be that intercept marker (3rd in the league in marks per game last year, and top 10-15 in intercept possessions per game in 2017-2018 as well), and let Nathan Brown stay at FB. Bruce can play CHF, Membrey FF, King in the FP/2nd Ruck, and either Parker or Long out of the forward line.

Geary is needed defensively, and Jimmy Webster also provided some good rebound when fit last year as well, so I'd try and work them into the mix somehow.

I'd still have a role for Steele in the middle as well, ahead of someone like Armitage (who is cooked as an AFL footballer). He's one of the best tacklers in the league, and one of the Saints' better contested ball winners too.

Have you ever seen Josh Bruce play in defence? One of the worst defenders I have ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back