Autopsy Alice is Wonderland

Remove this Banner Ad

How was that for boring Kingy you cretin?

That is the kind of performance we have threatened to have for a while but finally put it together. The main difference being the forwards actually performing and converting.

Sturt was okay but I don't think he was good with ball in hand. He was too slow to make decisions and almost seemed like he thought he would have the time he normally does in the WAFL. Hopefully JLo gives him a run of games to get him up to speed. He can be a major it factor in our forward line if given the chance.

One thing nobody has talked about is us getting stronger after the bye. Cox coming back into the backline is going to be massive.

It should be horses for courses. Having Darcy, Jackson, Amiss, Treacy, Sturt and Banfield all in the line up at 1.89cm+ looks top heavy in the wet IMO.

Ok...seriously Clark, Jackson and Sharp have been our best trade ins in a long time.

While the likes of Logue, Tucker, Hill, Weller, etc have done little at their new clubs.

But every player gets better when they leave Fremantle..............

Not the standout from today or anything, but this team is noticeably better when Freddy is playing. I assume he was subbed out as a precaution?

The burst of speed he has is so important for us, it’s the icing on the cake for days like today. But in the tough and tight arm wrestle type games, it’s our point of difference. He’s getting more consistency in his game now and we need to keep him fit and playing.

Absolutely.

Switkowski and Freddy fit and in form makes the opposition nervous, would be great to clone them both.

Melbourne v Fremantle​

8 Jordan Clark (FRE)
5 Josh Treacy (FRE)
5 Hayden Young (FRE)
4 Sam Switkowski (FRE)
4 Caleb Serong (FRE)
2 Alex Pearce (FRE)
2 Luke Jackson (FRE)

Either Young or Treacy got a BOG from one coach and nothing from the other. Treacy I reckon. Young got a 2 and a 3 I think.

Could also be….
Treacy 5
young 5
Clark 4 and 4
Switter 3 and 1
Serong 3 and 1
Pearce 2
Jackson 2

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As much as I enjoyed the game I’m being a bit cautious with the optimism.

1. It’s a wide ground which limits the opposition ability to corral our lateral ball movement.

2. The Dees had a perfect storm day. Reminded me of how GC took the Cats apart in Darwin. The Cats just didn’t show up at all & neither did Melbourne. (Or us against the Eagles).

I believe we’re absolutely on the right track & will play finals but I doubt we will have it all our own way like that again. It does show how our footy is supposed to look but when players like Amiss & Walters who’ve been utterly clamped recently suddenly seem to have acres of space I’m suspicious of how much pressure was actually out there.

Sorry to be that guy!

Don’t disagree with what you’re saying but Treager Park is actually 2m wider than Optus and 9m narrower than the MCG.
ac3168af099c9ac25282ad1be03a1f85.jpg

Got to say Chapman hasn’t exceeded my (and I think most supporters) expectations, I’ve always thought he would be AA quality. Add Amiss to that as well

I think it's safe to say Pearce/Cox/Chapman/Ryan/Walker/Aish/Clarke is the best back 7 in club history.

As much as I enjoyed the game I’m being a bit cautious with the optimism.

1. It’s a wide ground which limits the opposition ability to corral our lateral ball movement.

2. The Dees had a perfect storm day. Reminded me of how GC took the Cats apart in Darwin. The Cats just didn’t show up at all & neither did Melbourne. (Or us against the Eagles).

I believe we’re absolutely on the right track & will play finals but I doubt we will have it all our own way like that again. It does show how our footy is supposed to look but when players like Amiss & Walters who’ve been utterly clamped recently suddenly seem to have acres of space I’m suspicious of how much pressure was actually out there.

Sorry to be that guy!

So you don't expect too many wins by 15 goals this year? Good call. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t disagree with what you’re saying but Treager Park is actually 2m wider than Optus and 9m narrower than the MCG.

Good to know. I just kept hearing people talking about the wide open spaces of it so assumed it was unusually wide. Should have known not to take commentators seriously!

I was watching yesterday and noticed at one point, when we were about 80 odd points that we had kicked like 18.7 or something like that. Against the saints we kicked 9.18. That was really a belting much close to this game than any of our other close games we played.
yeah for reference the xscore difference on that game had us ahead by about 50, and 'only' by 60 on the weekend

It should be horses for courses. Having Darcy, Jackson, Amiss, Treacy, Sturt and Banfield all in the line up at 1.89cm+ looks top heavy in the wet IMO.
Think it depends on how they play as well. Sturt in particular was impressive with his pressure and ground ball work. Those are usually problem areas for him, but in the last few WAFL games he was doing good in those areas and that translated in the Melbourne game.

Ground condition can also play a significant role. Not sure about the MCG is like, but Perth is supposedly a firm surface and their was a lot of talk by the commentators pre game about Treager Park being soggy. Softer ground is harder to run on and would make it more difficult to make up ground or spread.

here’s just a little one for Caleb serong - mate well played but when you are interviewed post game you don’t need to run us through all your clearance lingo and more importantly give the opposition any insight into what we are doing.

Good to know. I just kept hearing people talking about the wide open spaces of it so assumed it was unusually wide. Should have known not to take commentators seriously!

I think because there’s not a massive grandstand hemming it in makes it look bigger than it is

I can't ever remember seeing Gawn pushed around like that. Darcy, you are a beast!

I wonder if this is going to be a strategy they use? Get Darcy to muscle the ruckman and beat the crap out of him for three quarters and then bring Dogga in to clean him up around the ground. Regardless, I loved watching Darcy steamroll Max off the ball.

Carlton core is like 5 years younger, come on. You could argue Pies would be better off with a mini restart and adding picks around Daicos but the big Vic clubs play by entirely different rules.

If it was Essendon, they'd probably give up Perkins. Him and a couple of good picks is pretty nice. Hawks are probably arrogant enough to think they are about to contend. Watson and a couple of 1sts? A contracted Petracca is worth whatever they say and they'd have to work with him to make it work but I'm sure their next flag team doesn't have him, Oliver or Gawn in it (again, keep Gawn though)
I hear what you are saying but unless I’m getting a top 2 or 3 pick I’m not even dreaming of letting petracca go.
An equal argument could be made that Moore and Degoey should be put on the trade table if the pies don’t win this year (same draft as Petracca).
Neither side is going to do it though. Rebuilds are hard and fraught with risk. Most teams who rebuild never win a flag.

And yeah maybe I was stretching it with Carlton, but dont sleep on how mature they are either, compared to Melbourne.
Petracca is 2014 draft
Oliver is 2015
Lever 2013
May 2010
Gawn 2009
Arguable that’s the dees five best?

Fritsch is only 26 I think, and kozzie Pickett is still 2019 draft and a relative kid.

Let’s look at Carlton’s core:
Cripps 2013
Mckay 2015
Curnow 2015
Weitering 2015
Walsh 2018

Yes Walsh is 2018 and probably rounds out their core of elite talent/top 5 players on the list.
DeKoning is turning into a top player too and is from the 2017 draft.

While Melbournes elite talent core is older.. it’s not THAT much older.
Their biggest challenge will be replacing May but while he’s been class - you can find key defenders easier than one might think. We have seen this before.

When I look at Carlton’s list of under 23 players (2019 and onwards draft) I’m not seeing any names jump off the page to be honest. I’d argue Melbourne are ahead of them there with people like Pickett, Rivers, Windsor, JVR all looking like long term likely 200 gamers.

Guys like saad and Williams at the Blues are not exactly kids either. Equally neither is Viney or Salem.

Yet there’s a commonly accepted view that Carlton are here to stay for the next 5 years or so. If they are then Melbourne are right up there with them for another three or four, IF their culture off field is right.

I’ll absolutely agree the rules are different for the big vic clubs but is they an even greater reason for a smaller club like Melbourne not to slip back into a rebuild that could easily go pear shaped?

I think it's safe to say Pearce/Cox/Chapman/Ryan/Walker/Aish/Clarke is the best back 7 in club history.
The Dawson/McPharlin/Johnson/Duffield/Spurr/Sutcliffe/Mzungu comes close for mine. I would still take McPharlin and Johnson (although Chapman has the potential to go well past) and whilst I would take Pearce on this year's heroics, Dawson was a great shutdown defender. Ryan shades Duffield defensively but a case could be put up that Duffield shades Ryan offensively. Aish over Sutcliffe and Clark will finish better than Mzungu because of his kicking although Mzungu at his best was pretty good both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Alice is Wonderland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back