NT Alice Springs: 2024 Curfew

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacinta Price has never let a crisis get in the way of demanding more money for her mum's school.
A lot of the kids that are on our streets – I think I’ve been arguing for some time now that we need boarding facilities built for these kids. The Yipirinya School, the Elders from that school, have been calling for boarding facilities so that they can assist in the lives of these kids. These kids come from town camps and they’re some of our most marginalised. We need to look at the problem starting with them before they head down the road toward incarceration and the sorts of behaviour we’re seeing carried out on our streets.
A little light readfing about this school.

Mr Clothler said he preferred to sleep rough rather than stay in a house with family or friends, where tensions could reach a fever pitch due to desperate overcrowding.Alice Springs leaders seek evidence of long-term plans to reduce crime amid curfew
Alice Springs community leaders are pushing for more accountability from those tasked with addressing the drivers of crime, as the town endures another curfew.

"Everybody coming in and out, in and out. Drunk family," he said.

"Some people come and they fight. It's just not good."

He claimed recent violence in the town was largely due to unresolved payback between families from surrounding communities, inflamed by alcohol.

He feared this was leaving many children in a vulnerable position.

"The mother and father, they drink and fight and that's why the kids run away, and they look for other troubles," he said.

Domestic violence researcher, Chay Brown, said Alice Springs needed a coordinated approach for managing the rollout of the Commonwealth's $250 million rescue package, which includes funding for domestic violence and youth services.

Jacinta Price has never let a crisis get in the way of demanding more money for her mum's school.

A little light readfing about this school.
That's a pretty poor comment. Boarding schools and facilities for Aboriginal students are very successful. More are needed in Alice and surrounding areas. The paltry $329k allocated by the government to upgrade Yipirinya won’t cut it.

Don't knock her because you don't like her politics. Any idea is worth trying, isn't it? Nobody else is doing anything and things are getting worse. Albo has gone totally silent on indigenous disadvantage since the failed referendum.

Interesting article from the Weekend Australian. This is the kind of individual community effort there needs to be more of. Self-starters.

Sounds as if the commonwealth needs to start from scratch with that money and build the houses they keep promising. People having decent housing can then have a positive flow-on effect into their relationships. It won't solve problems of DV and youth crime but it would be a start.

The other thing mentioned in the article I posted above is that the community it was about has banned alcohol. This is a MUST.

Sounds as if the commonwealth needs to start from scratch with that money and build the houses they keep promising. People having decent housing can then have a positive flow-on effect into their relationships. It won't solve problems of DV and youth crime but it would be a start.

The other thing mentioned in the article I posted above is that the community it was about has banned alcohol. This is a MUST.
New houses will be vandalised by alcoholic DV perpetrators and bored youth. Why bother

They need to go to school and work. Maybe they can help build the new homes so there's a sense of pride in them which might give them a fighting chance of not being vandalised soon after completion? Work/purpose is needed there first imo

Has Linda Burney raised her head yet or is she still in witness protection since the voice was defeated?

Maybe the minister should attend the area at least to feign interest in what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trouble again today.

In short:​

The Northern Territory's police minister says a decision around whether to extend a 72-hour snap curfew in Alice Springs will be announced tomorrow.

It comes as a violent brawl broke out in the Alice Springs CBD this afternoon, with police arresting five people and seizing weapons.

What's next?​

The curfew may be extended for a further seven days with the police minister's approval.

Yeah it's got to be crippling for the town, what tourist would want to visit atm.
I mean the one famous tourist attraction they have anywhere near, they banned people climbing. Not exactly a tourism hub otherwise. I know its about 4 hours away but what other reason would tourists have to go there?

That's a pretty poor comment. Boarding schools and facilities for Aboriginal students are very successful. More are needed in Alice and surrounding areas. The paltry $329k allocated by the government to upgrade Yipirinya won’t cut it.

Don't knock her because you don't like her politics. Any idea is worth trying, isn't it? Nobody else is doing anything and things are getting worse. Albo has gone totally silent on indigenous disadvantage since the failed referendum.

Interesting article from the Weekend Australian. This is the kind of individual community effort there needs to be more of. Self-starters.

Successful for who? Successful by what metric? Let's create another Stolen Generation by taking kids out of their homes.

I mean the one famous tourist attraction they have anywhere near, they banned people climbing. Not exactly a tourism hub otherwise. I know its about 4 hours away but what other reason would tourists have to go there?

If you know where to go there are some of the most beautiful places on Earth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure there's plenty of nice and unique things to see around there in the outback. Being very isolated out of the way and crime in town would only be what would deter me from visiting.

I'm sure there's plenty of nice and unique things to see around there in the outback. Being very isolated out of the way and crime in town would only be what would deter me from visiting.
It’s a very interesting town with amazing scenery around it - Ormiston Gorge, Standley Chasm, McDonnell Ranges, for example. The town has interesting historical sites and museums, including Telegraph Hill which was the midway point of the telegraph line that was constructed from Adelaide to Darwin in the 1870s, enabling communication with Britain in a few hours, instead of taking months to send a message. I read a book about it a while ago: Alice on the Line, the Overland Telegraph One Family’s Story.

Uluru, Kings Canyon, Kata Tjuta are several hours away but well worth seeing and exploring. It’s like another world in Central Australia, as far from big city suburbia as you could imagine, in one country.

Heard that my cousin that works there a teacher said that it's not really that bad, you just have to be 'careful'.
I have friends who work there, family who live and work there.
No issues.
Plenty of places all round Australia in the big smoke with worse issues.

Media need to sell their papers, doesnt make it actually real.

I have friends who work there, family who live and work there.
No issues.
Plenty of places all round Australia in the big smoke with worse issues.

Media need to sell their papers, doesnt make it actually real.
As with most things in life the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Media love to blow things up for stories but I don't think downplaying obvious serious problems helps anyone either..

Kalgoorlie is by far and away the most dangerous place I've lived and Alice Springs has a lot more issues atm.

NT Alice Springs: 2024 Curfew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back