All Aboard

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still very much in “one week at a time” mode. I go into each game equally prepared to be disappointed or delighted, and for the last few weeks it’s been the latter 😊. I expect to spend all the rest of our season, however long that may be, doing just the same.

I’ll make it crystal clear.
I’m not taking about real supporters I’m talking about Bandwagon supporters that we have on this forum.
You understand now?
Define real and bandwagon supporters. I'm preparing myself for your definitions and imminent self-flagellation. Literally quaking in my boots.

Last edited:

Real: going to every home game during the Primus coaching period, and staying to the final siren
Me.
Hang on: the game re Collingwood at Footy Park, Mr PL and some of our crew went to the car park where we used to bbq before every home game at half time and set up the gazebo and had a few whilst the game was still going. It was bucketing down. As the designated driver I couldn't go out and get hammered but did slip out at 3/4 time for a drink. We could still see the scoreboard though!

Last edited:
Do we have a better squad in terms of talent and structure than 2014 2020 and 2021? I think yes, moreso we now have a generational talent that can walk us to a flag the same way danger/dusty/daicos has in JHF. We never had that in the other prelims, yeah wingard and an aging gray but i dont think they had as high impact consistently during games as JHF. The question is can Jason do it in finals intensity games

It's more comparable to 2014. Look at the 2020/2021 teams, almost every player had or was going to have a good AFL career. Look at the 2014 team and there's a lot of players who never really amounted to much but for that moment came together as part of a team that got a run on and got close to doing something. That's more like what we are right now IMO. Agree that JHF is the wildcard match winner we've never had in past teams though.

I'm still a little cautious about getting too excited until we win a preliminary final, but we're definitely playing with a hard edge that's been missing in recent years. That's what wins finals, and if we keep playing like that in September, the sky is the limit.

As bad as the insipid loss to Brisbane at home was, it does appear like it was a defining moment in our season. Since then, we’ve managed to grind out wins & hang tough through the most demanding periods of our games. We’ve kept our heads in the tight finishes & managed to seize the opportunities when it’s mattered most.

Under Ken, we’ve always been a team who can score quickly & totally dominate a quarter of footy here & there. We’ve repeatedly been masters at sucking the masses in, then failing badly when it’s mattered most.

We are going to find out very soon whether the clubs collective mindset is finally shifting back to its more traditional roots, of just finding a way to win. If the last 5 or 6 weeks is anything to go by, we may just be a silly chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, Kens reign is an AFL record for games coached without a GF appearance, St Kilda have played in 3 in the last 15yrs.
You've got to make them for a chance to win them.
St Kilda under Ross Lyon have, let that sink in.
Success is measured by winning not participation.
In the words of Ricky Bobby, if your not first your last.

I finally went to a game last night and enjoyed every minute of it. One of the most enjoyable games I've been to. The outrage over Houston's bump is funny to me. It was a footballing act and one that used to be commonplace. I thought what Thilthorpe did to Jones was a lot worse but Lachie wasn't knocked out so it gets glossed over.

This. Every media idiot trying to outdo each other in Hyperbole. The Outrage set calling for people's heads, red cards, send offs. FMD. It was a perfect shirt front, as you said absolutely common place and applauded only a generation ago. The AFL used to have Ad campaigns celebrating these type of hits. "its not a good look for the game" these fawning dipshits stammer. He didn't get him in the head. If you ever played footy at a decent level you would have copped one of these.
The game intensity certainly went up.

As bad as the insipid loss to Brisbane at home was, it does appear like it was a defining moment in our season. Since then, we’ve managed to grind out wins & hang tough through the most demanding periods of our games. We’ve kept our heads in the tight finishes & managed to seize the opportunities when it’s mattered most.

Under Ken, we’ve always been a team who can score quickly & totally dominate a quarter of footy here & there. We’ve repeatedly been masters at sucking the masses in, then failing badly when it’s mattered most.

We are going to find out very soon whether the clubs collective mindset is finally shifting back to its more traditional roots, of just finding a way to win. If the last 5 or 6 weeks is anything to go by, we may just be a silly chance.
If you throw in Tredder's untenable comment to get the team to go on a run last year, you could actually make a case that these idiots in the coaching box actually do listen to the supporters but it takes a bit of time to get through.

The last time St Kilda won a flag
1 Ross Lyons wasn’t born
2 Color tv was 9 years away
3 Decimal Currency came in.

Why are you reheating your boner for benchmarking against the worst club in the league?

When Port flamed out in 86/87 and no less a figure than Russell Ebert was given his marching orders, how many Port supporters were benchmarking against the plight of Centrals?

This is Port Adelaide we’re talking about.

No need for “be grateful for your leftover offal, there are starving kids [Molly Meldrum, Eric Bana] in Africa!” gaslighting.

I'm still a little cautious about getting too excited until we win a preliminary final, but we're definitely playing with a hard edge that's been missing in recent years. That's what wins finals, and if we keep playing like that in September, the sky is the limit.

yeah this feels a bit different and I'm pretty on board

The last time St Kilda won a flag
1 Ross Lyons wasn’t born
2 Color tv was 9 years away
3 Decimal Currency came in.
Unless they've had the same coach for the last 58 years this post is totally and utterly irrelevant.

Why are you reheating your boner for benchmarking against the worst club in the league?

When Port flamed out in 86/87 and no less a figure than Russell Ebert was given his marching orders, how many Port supporters were benchmarking against the plight of Centrals?

This is Port Adelaide we’re talking about.

No need for “be grateful for your leftover offal, there are starving kids [Molly Meldrum, Eric Bana] in Africa!” gaslighting.
It was in reply to a question asking what other side supporters had gone through compared to us.
I used St Kilda but as we both know there are other high profile clubs that have had less success than us over the last 20 odd years or more.

Playing in Grand Finals for me is not success, neither is playing in finals.
They are both required to gain opportunity but unless you take that opportunity you’ve failed.
Ebert got the push because he couldn’t deliver a flag, ruthless but that’s the way Port used to be run, if your not first your last.
It’s a different football world now.
It’s all about the Game day experience and other BS double talk.
Making money is much more important than winning flags,the business side of it overshadows the playing side of it.
I want exactly the same thing as you want, the club to win a flag and that is the benchmark.
I don’t support the management and definitely don’t support the coach.
I support the team and I don’t support people that slag every single thing about the club over and over again.

Read on the main board a while back, there was a meeting and agreement for Hinkley to step aside end of this year. Richmond supporter I think. Quite random and specific.
Had a quiet chuckle to myself yesterday, at a post on the main board from a Bulldogs fan who said he couldn't understand why Port fans don't like Hinkley. As far as he's concerned, the man is a genius to keep getting us into the finals. What he can't get through his skull is the fact that until now, Ken's game plan hasn't stood up in September. Hopefully this year is different.

Unless they've had the same coach for the last 58 years this post is totally and utterly irrelevant.
It was in reference to a question asked.
What other supporters had endured compared to us.
That was first off the rank but could have used other clubs like Carlton,Essendon and so on.
We are not alone in failure over the last 25 years but that doesn’t mean we should be accepting what has happened over the last 12 years.

It was in reply to a question asking what other side supporters had gone through compared to us.
I used St Kilda but as we both know there are other high profile clubs that have had less success than us over the last 20 odd years or more.

Playing in Grand Finals for me is not success, neither is playing in finals.
They are both required to gain opportunity but unless you take that opportunity you’ve failed.
Ebert got the push because he couldn’t deliver a flag, ruthless but that’s the way Port used to be run, if your not first your last.
It’s a different football world now.
It’s all about the Game day experience and other BS double talk.
Making money is much more important than winning flags,the business side of it overshadows the playing side of it.
I want exactly the same thing as you want, the club to win a flag and that is the benchmark.
I don’t support the management and definitely don’t support the coach.
I support the team and I don’t support people that slag every single thing about the club over and over again.

Objective incompetence is worse than perceived negativity (scrutiny, calls for accountability).

Tredrea’s “untenable” bombshell led to Ken sitting on the bench, blubbering, and a 13-game win streak.

The booing when it looked like the 13th-placed Brisbane Lions would beat us by 100pts at Adelaide Oval led to Ken blubbering, and a rich vein of form that may culminate in a home Qualifying Final.

If anything there should’ve been even more calling this regime out, as the results are either wackily coincidental, or finally got some complacent, overly-comfortable arses into gear, no?

It’s a shame Michael Gudinski and Shane Warne passed without seeing their club win a[nother] flag, but then Port and St Kilda are not the same.

The thing is, we have the same issues we've always had. We dont look like a side thats gonna win 3 in a row in finals.

But who the **** does. There is no Collingwood this year, no Melbourne, no peak Geelong, just 8-9 sides bumbling along inconsistently looking like gods and trash week to week. Whoever wins this year is Bradurying it.
I just hope the Hawks don't do a 2016 Bulldogs, and reach the grand final from 7th. Because if they get there, the fairytale scenario will be rammed down everyone's throats, and the game will be umpired accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Aboard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back