I'm all in next season

Remove this Banner Ad

We have replaced Robbie Gray with Fat Willie Rioli after a 2 year holiday - DOWNGRADE
We have replaced Amon with Horne-Francis which is a DOWNGRADE FOR 12 MONTHS

Sadly in the end Robbie was cooked, as for Junior if he shows up lean, mean 'n' hungry then it's an upgrade.

I liked Amon but as Kano once said, every 3rd disposal went to the oppo. Don't think we'll have to wait 12 months for JHF to impact.

The acquisition of Horne-Francis has definitely made me somewhat reconsider my choice to suspend my membership until 2024. But I think I will stick with that for now.
I have actually changed my mind. I'm not going to let Ken ruin the first year of watching a Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis midfield live.

Part of the problem with Hinkley isn't just his coaching itself, it's just the fact that the place had become stale. I think bringing in a young player of JHF's quality might give the players reason to have some renewed excitement again. JHF's impact on our fortunes next year could go beyond just his football.

I have actually changed my mind. I'm not going to let Ken ruin the first year of watching a Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis midfield live.

Part of the problem with Hinkley isn't just his coaching itself, it's just the fact that the place had become stale. I think bringing in a young player of JHF's quality might give the players reason to have some renewed excitement again. JHF's impact on our fortunes next year could go beyond just his football.
Yeah that’s fair. Have a long time to decide I guess. I’m comfortable with my decision but in the end I will probably lose out by missing some good stuff. Oh well. **** you Ken.

I reckon with a reasonable draw and a ok run with injuries we are certs to play finals next year.
Question is will the club see that as a good enough result to extend Ken ?
Another thing is what’s available if he does go?
Lots are hanging there hats on Carr but the reason for that is there is nothing around much apart from recycled failures.

Couldn't disagree more with this. I'd say we are less all in than most sides in the AFL, and arguably less all in than we've been since 2012.

All in was getting a flag out of Ebert, Gray, Watts, Westhoff, Motlop, Rockliff, Boak, Dixon. That was our all in, back in 2019, and we failed to capitalise.

Right now virtually none of our players are hitting their peak 26-29 period. Just look at the high ceiling players on our list:
Rozee - 22
Butters - 22
JHF - 19
Houston - 25
Burton - 25
Powell-Pepper - 24
Sinn - 19
Marshall - 24
Jones - 20
Farrell - 23
Hayes - 23
Pickett - 21
MG - 20
Bergman - 20

The only guaranteed 22 blokes currently in that window are Wines, Finlayson, Aliir, Fantasia and Rioli.

If we do manage to miraculously score a flag next year it could set us up for a genuine era of dominance with what we've done.

The baby Bombers finished 8th (of 15) in 1992 including a 160 point thrashing.

They famously had 7 players in the GF under 21.

For us that could be...

MG
Bergman
Sinn
Jones
JHF
Burgoyne
Visintini/Lord

Plus a host of 22/23 year olds.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon with a reasonable draw and a ok run with injuries we are certs to play finals next year.
Lots are hanging there hats on Carr but the reason for that is there is nothing around much apart from recycled failures.

Bring in an outside agency to help decide our next coach. I get it that people are swept up in the romanticism of Carr but

level heads need to prevail. Freo in '22 played a lot of slow, boundary line focused controlled footy which is not appealing to me.

Sure Josh took Nth Adelaide to a premiership but remember that was from 5th at the end of the H&A season with 11 wins 7 losses & a % of 52

If we have a different coach in '24 let's get it right and not jump at shadows.

We definitely went all in on Ken, by accident. Just because it was the cheapest option, not because we're necessarily a chance for the flag next year, but we have to try now.

I think he'll be happy to leave, cash in hand, and being able to claim it's on his own terms next year. If he gets us back to finals, he'll be lauded as leaving the club in a much better position than he found it, despite no success in 11 years. That's what he's all in for.

Bring in an outside agency to help decide our next coach. I get it that people are swept up in the romanticism of Carr but

level heads need to prevail. Freo in '22 played a lot of slow, boundary line focused controlled footy which is not appealing to me.

Sure Josh took Nth Adelaide to a premiership but remember that was from 5th at the end of the H&A season with 11 wins 7 losses & a % of 52

If we have a different coach in '24 let's get it right and not jump at shadows.
They will set up a panel probably 4 people. If Ken goes mid season and Carr gets to coach 10 games and does well he will be in pole position.

If Ken gets the arse late in the season because we just miss finals or play one or two finals, the club should have set some loose process in play to pounce once they told Ken, in the words of Roberto Duran - No Mas.

I like this post because it recognises that we can win the flag next year and for bringing the positivity we need to make it happen.

I dislike it at the same time for calling us all-in when we're very clearly not. All-in is giving up all your chips if it goes wrong. It's committing to the now at the cost of the future. We aren't in that position though, we have a very young core and are not bringing in old players like Geelong has done.

We can and should be aiming to win the flag next year, but nothing we've done will hurt our chances the year after either.
Poorly named thread with the use of the misunderstood term: "All in," which is a term used in poker when a player risks ALL his chip to see the other player's cards. What risk has Port taken? And at what cost? Horne-Francis isnt a risk, and his cost was not onerous, and as for Rioli, we basically go him for free.

Davies was totally correct in pulling up that knob Rowie, with his "Port are all in" taunt. Rowie was setting Davies and Port up, and Davies clearly outlined the difference between going "all in" for a premiership, and doing what every club is doing every year - That is to play your best, get into finals, and look to play in the grand final. He clearly put Rowie down for the idiot that he is.

Please stop giving oxygen to that moron! If you are positive about next year, then great, because being super positive about 2023 is completely separate and different to being "all in." I agree with you that there is a lot to be excited about next year, a lot of interesting sub-plots to the season, not the least of which is seeing who replaces Kenny in 2024.

If they announce a succession plan, I'll immediately start coming to home games again. While an extension is still a very real possibility, I can't add to the club's attendance figure or support them financially on top of my membership.

I'll maintain my membership because of my insanely good seats, and I'll be very excited to watch our players on TV.

jim-breuer-half-baked.gif

danny-de-vito-no.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im all in on the Butters - Rozee - JHF midfield and the layer of young players who all look to have something to add. It’s hard not to get excited about what we could be.

In terms of all in on a premiership next year? No and I don’t think the club is either. We obviously want to play finals but the makings of a premiership team are from ‘25.

Despite what some around here think it isn’t all one big conspiracy to keep Kenny in a job.

Next year is either going to be Ken's last year as Port Adelaide coach, or he will be a premiership coach. Read that again slowly and tell yourself that is a fact.
If that was guaranteed I would be all in too. Everyone would be. But with the possibility that Koch and the other flogs will extend him no matter where we end up, there's this grey cloud hanging over the season.

Last year I thought no finals would see the end of him (what a crazy ****ing concept), so when the logical chances of claiming the premiership were gone, I was actively barracking against Port. I hated doing that. I don't want to do it again. So, against all better judgement, I at least have to start the year on this "all in" ride. Let's go.

charlize theron film GIF

I reckon the factor that could most contribute to us making finals in 2023 is starting pre-season training earlier due to no finals this year.

Even then, I expect a 9th-12th finish next year

The tigers have restocked however if it doesn't work I want Port to try and get Hardwick he's out of contract
Imagine 2 hard nuts leading our coaching department

Im all in on the Butters - Rozee - JHF midfield and the layer of young players who all look to have something to add. It’s hard not to get excited about what we could be.

In terms of all in on a premiership next year? No and I don’t think the club is either. We obviously want to play finals but the makings of a premiership team are from ‘25.

Despite what some around here think it isn’t all one big conspiracy to keep Kenny in a job.
Yes, it is.

You can think we are going to win the flag next year. That still wouldnt mean we are all in. That would just mean we are confident in the list we have built.

All in specifically is about sacrificing the future for a short-term shot. It means that if we don't win the flag next year or the year after that the years after that will suffer because of the actions we are taking now. Its not what we are doing at all.

Also have to factor in that we no longer have Robbie to literally win 4-5 games a year completely off his own boot. He was unable to do that in 2022, and it showed. I see another 9-12th placed finish next year.

Also have to factor in that we no longer have Robbie to literally win 4-5 games a year completely off his own boot. He was unable to do that in 2022, and it showed. I see another 9-12th placed finish next year.
Nah, we will easily make the top 8 ... Our final position this year is universally seen as under-performing, and not representative of the true quality of the team. Since then, we have significantly added to the quality of the list, with more to come.

A better coach would have got us into the finals this year, and be serious contenders next year. Nevertheless, even with Ken still at the helm, we will have a marked improve next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all in next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back