I'm all in next season

Remove this Banner Ad

If Ken was sacked and we went backwards for a year or two, even that would literally be his fault. This is his group.
So your saying if Ken goes we will still be crap because this group is not good enough.
So how long after his gone do we keep blaming him?
Sounds like if we do well it’s because Hinkley is gone but if we do bad it’s still his fault.
Good for the new coach nothing will be his fault.

So your saying if Ken goes we will still be crap because this group is not good enough.
Sounds like if we do well it’s because Hinkley is gone but if we do bad it’s still his fault.
Then we've come full circle from 2012. Can't wait for the next decade of "Coach not-Hinkley saved Port after the smoking crater Ken Hinkley and David Koch left" rhetoric.

That’s the superficial analysis of a simpleton. I can’t even be bothered explaining it to you.

Seems like a passion for Boak. Looks like in retirement he could make some good coin taking AFL players from
Any club over to do his pre season training program.

Head of fitness in the making perhaps?

This is stupid. Especially when we're a club who still jumps up and down and points to 2012 to excuse the colossal failures under Hinkley.

The players don't get Men In Black mindwiped the second Hinkley steps out the door. The list management that acted based on Hinkley's agenda doesn't magically fix itself because he's gone. A new coach still has to deal with a big fat question mark of a ruck division and a big hole a KPD. He has to turn around a culture where winning hasn't been a priority and where nobody is held accountable, and there will absolutely be pushback from elements of the playing group on those things.

The new coach gets 2-3 years to make the team his own, both in terms of culture and strategy. If it's clear he's not going to work out, he might not make it to 2 years. He might be able to change the team sooner. But anyone who has more than a cursory glance at the football we're playing will be able to see if we've been able to air out the club enough to get the stench of Ken Hinkley failure out of the place.

I’m not happy it’s just something that was never going to happen.
Obviously this year the pressure will be on,I’m sure a poor start like last year would be the death rattle for him.
Interesting to see what sort of draw we get next year particularly early.

Why wasn't it going to happen? Seems like every other club in the league would have sacked him after that season.

To the posters that think we will improve, do you think Ken will change his gameplan?

I get the enthusiasm with the young players but with the development of the young players you also get another year older for Jonas, Boak, Dixon, etc (Gray gone too).

I agree we have a good young list and I'm excited to see their individual progress, but I cannot see Ken changing tac. Every other coach in the league knows what Ken is going to present now. There's never a surprise.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I reckon 2023 is a wasted year and all I hope is that Ken doesn't set fire to the place on his way out by playing guys like McEntee and Francis Evans over young exciting prospects.

He doesn't really have to change his gameplan for us to record more wins. We know the current gameplan can get us up the ladder, we finished top 2 twice.

We absolutely can't win the flag obviously, but we can finish top 8, even top 4. We'd need a combination of a favourable draw, our young players continuing to improve and good luck with injury, but neither of those are wildly out of the question.

2023 is absolutely a wasted year, because we have a list that could challenge for and win a flag. But that's not to say that we can't move up the ladder under a fairly reasonable set of circumstances.

He doesn't really have to change his gameplan for us to record more wins. We know the current gameplan can get us up the ladder, we finished top 2 twice.

We absolutely can't win the flag obviously, but we can finish top 8, even top 4. We'd need a combination of a favourable draw, our young players continuing to improve and good luck with injury, but neither of those are wildly out of the question.

2023 is absolutely a wasted year, because we have a list that could challenge for and win a flag. But that's not to say that we can't move up the ladder under a fairly reasonable set of circumstances.

I reckon the gameplan is cooked. Everyone knows how to deal with it now. Maybe I end up being wrong, we'll see I guess.

To be fair in the eyes of the media this seems to apply to the old coach too.

When we win its because of "the brilliant mind of Ken Hinkley"

When we lose its because "he can't kick it for them!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wasn't it going to happen? Seems like every other club in the league would have sacked him after that season.
Because we have a board that’s like no other in the league.
People get on here whining about Ken when the real blame stands squarely with the board.
Kens doing what we all do in the workforce looking after himself.
Would you walk away from a job that pays that much because some twat on a internet forum says your no good ?
He’s there only because this board appointed him and gave him an extension.
It’s not the Port Adelaide Football Club it’s the Port Adelaide Social Club.
It’s as simpleton as that.

This is stupid. Especially when we're a club who still jumps up and down and points to 2012 to excuse the colossal failures under Hinkley.

The players don't get Men In Black mindwiped the second Hinkley steps out the door. The list management that acted based on Hinkley's agenda doesn't magically fix itself because he's gone. A new coach still has to deal with a big fat question mark of a ruck division and a big hole a KPD. He has to turn around a culture where winning hasn't been a priority and where nobody is held accountable, and there will absolutely be pushback from elements of the playing group on those things.

The new coach gets 2-3 years to make the team his own, both in terms of culture and strategy. If it's clear he's not going to work out, he might not make it to 2 years. He might be able to change the team sooner. But anyone who has more than a cursory glance at the football we're playing will be able to see if we've been able to air out the club enough to get the stench of Ken Hinkley failure out of the place.
I know what you are saying, but teams can turn around very quickly. Take Collingwood for example. Absolute basket case with their cap situation and almost wooden-spooners, sacking coach, pres, and recruiters. Then almost into the grand final the next year. Our list is better than theirs IMO. The negativity here def gets over the top.

If Koch & Ken go, anything is possible

Because we have a board that’s like no other in the league.
People get on here whining about Ken when the real blame stands squarely with the board.
Kens doing what we all do in the workforce looking after himself.
Would you walk away from a job that pays that much because some twat on a internet forum says your no good ?
He’s there only because this board appointed him and gave him an extension.
It’s not the Port Adelaide Football Club it’s the Port Adelaide Social Club.
It’s as simpleton as that.
Yes the board are to blame. No one would argue with that. But people are allowed to be frustrated at a guy and his family turning the club into their nest egg for a decade plus. Ken Hinkley doesn’t care about Port Adelaide. It’s as simple as that.

I know what you are saying, but teams can turn around very quickly. Take Collingwood for example. Absolute basket case with their cap situation and almost wooden-spooners, sacking coach, pres, and recruiters. Then almost into the grand final the next year. Our list is better than theirs IMO. The negativity here def gets over the top.

If Koch & Ken go, anything is possible
I’d say the negativity overall is actually more tempered then it should be. We’ve wasted a decade with horrible, easily avoidable decisions.

I’d say the negativity overall is actually more tempered then it should be. We’ve wasted a decade with horrible, easily avoidable decisions.
Yeah, I would say the negativity is underwhelming given our glorious history.

We have a vain ignoramus as a president who only cares about his image.
We have a intransigent fool as a coach with a loser mentality lacking strategy and the ability to improve.

They are a heady mix.

Both will reside over the worst times of the Port Adelaide Football Club and history will not be kind.
Both are not Port Adelaide people.

From a player perspective we want all in. The young boys need to learn a winning culture. Might not be at GF level, but still winning more than losing is a good start.

Jonas, Boak, even RGray, Dixon and that age group grew up mostly losing. That hasn’t helped leadership now

We r not all in but I think we could be a 5-8 team next year. Our storming up the ladder is about which/how many of the young boys start breaking out. There output needs to take over Lycett, Dixon, Boak, Jonas.

I reckon the gameplan is cooked. Everyone knows how to deal with it now. Maybe I end up being wrong, we'll see I guess.

I agree. My two major gripes with Hinkley are that our gameplan is stale and that it lacks versatility. The lack of versatility can't be fixed. We don't have a plan B and Hinkley is a shit gameday coach. I don't think that will change.

However it might be that with the list we have next year the gameplan may suddenly work. With JHF in the midfield I believe we will be stronger and it might be that the our defense might not find itself under the same pressure it has been. Additionally we will have more offensive power going forward, and if Rioli fires we will have the strongest forward line in a long time.
  • Dixon won't get shorter or weaker, he will still play his power forward role well.
  • Marshall having a breakout year
  • Georgiades likely to improve his goalkicking and growing in stature as a KPF,
  • SPP also settling into his role as a very good defensive forward,
  • Rioli and possibly Fantasia as offensive small forwards with Butters and Rozee rotating forward
  • Finlayson likely to spend more time forward assuming we have fit rucks with Hayes and Teakle improving
We might find that our gameplan of keeping the ball in the forward line might work for us. Suddenly, sadly, there is a chance that Hinkley's gameplan looks like a stroke of genius because we have the cattle to pull it off. Especially if we can find a KPD to bolster our defense. Or it may not work that way. With other teams knowing what we will do the list changes might not be enough to make our tired gameplan work for us. Time will tell.

Yes the board are to blame. No one would argue with that. But people are allowed to be frustrated at a guy and his family turning the club into their nest egg for a decade plus. Ken Hinkley doesn’t care about Port Adelaide. It’s as simple as that.
The days of coach’s really caring are long gone.
There’s so much money in it for them they are all about looking after themselves.
Your correct people are frustrated I canceled my membership after last years preliminary final.

I blamed the board for extending Ken’s term I blamed Ken for being a shyt coach I blamed the players for the most gutless performance I’ve seen a Port team show in over 50 years.
Successful business have successful management I have zero confidence this board will even appoint a quality successor after Ken.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all in next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back