Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

List makeup:
KPD/3rd talls: Hurley, Hooker, Hartley, Gwilt, Pears, Francis
Running backs/smalls: Baguley, Hibberd, Gleeson, Ashby, Morgan, Tipungwuti
Mids: Watson, Heppell, Z.Merrett, Myers, Bird, Stanton, Goddard, Hocking, Colyer, Zaharakis, Howlett, Laverde, Langford, Fantasia, J.Merrett, Parish, Redman, Hams, Wallis
Small forwards: Dempsey, Edwards, Cooney, McKenna, Kommer, Long, Eades
KPF/3rd talls/2nd rucks: Daniher, Brown, McKernan, Ambrose
Rucks: Leuenberger, Bellchambers, Nyuon

Best 22:
FB: Baguley, Hurley, Hooker
HB: Hibberd, Hartley, Gleeson
C: Stanton, Watson, Z.Merrett
HF: Laverde, McKernan, Colyer
FF: Brown, Daniher, Zaharakis
R: Leuenberger, Heppell, Hocking
I/C: Bird, Goddard, Myers, Langford

A lot of players are versatile so I've listed them in different parts of the ground, as opposed to their best position, to fit them in.
I think we're okay in the backline, midfield and rucks but we need more tall forwards, which we'll acquire in next year's draft.

List makeup:
KPD/3rd talls: Hurley, Hooker, Hartley, Gwilt, Pears, Francis
Running backs/smalls: Baguley, Hibberd, Gleeson, Ashby, Morgan, Tipungwuti
Mids: Watson, Heppell, Z.Merrett, Myers, Bird, Stanton, Goddard, Hocking, Colyer, Zaharakis, Howlett, Laverde, Langford, Fantasia, J.Merrett, Parish, Redman, Hams, Wallis
Small forwards: Dempsey, Edwards, Cooney, McKenna, Kommer, Long, Eades
KPF/3rd talls/2nd rucks: Daniher, Brown, McKernan, Ambrose
Rucks: Leuenberger, Bellchambers, Nyuon

Best 22:
FB: Baguley, Hurley, Hooker
HB: Hibberd, Hartley, Gleeson
C: Stanton, Watson, Z.Merrett
HF: Laverde, McKernan, Colyer
FF: Brown, Daniher, Zaharakis
R: Leuenberger, Heppell, Hocking
I/C: Bird, Goddard, Myers, Langford

A lot of players are versatile so I've listed them in different parts of the ground, as opposed to their best position, to fit them in.
I think we're okay in the backline, midfield and rucks but we need more tall forwards, which we'll acquire in next year's draft.

I think you've picked a side with possibly mostly the best players but this team really lacks pace. Colyer is the only player here with any speed. Think we'd need to drop one tall and bring in a guy like Fantasia, Morgan, Edwards etc to break the lines with pace.

I think you've picked a side with possibly mostly the best players but this team really lacks pace. Colyer is the only player here with any speed. Think we'd need to drop one tall and bring in a guy like Fantasia, Morgan, Edwards etc to break the lines with pace.

Good team on paper. But your spot on - 7 blokes over 196 will get torn up.

In that case, I'd drop McKernan/Brown for Fantasia and if Zaka continues to be sluggish, one of Edwards/J.Merrett/McKenna will replace him.

FB: Baguley, Hartley, Goddard
Hb: Fanta, Hurley, Hibberd
C: Colyer, Watson, Z Merritt
HF: Mckernan, Daniher, Hocking
FF: Dempsey, Hooker, Edwards
R: Luey, Heppell, Myers

I/C: Laverde, Zaha, Brown, Gleeson

Fwd : I think Dempsey will prove himself as a forward in 2016. I would like to see him work with Edwards and be unpredictable in our forward line together. I want to see Daniher push up the ground and drag the best defenders at times his having a quiet game.

Hooker wouldn't be easy to beat as a 1v1 FF...hocking to provide him and Danniher with protection

Last edited:
Ok let's see.

Baguley Hooker Francis
Hibberd Hurley Goddard
Stanton Heppell J Merrett
Colyer McKernan Z Merrett
Laverde Daniher Langford
Leunberger Watson Hocking
Bird Myers Fantasia Zaharakis
This year, playing both Laverde and Langford forward resulted in a handy second ass hole for the team (if you're into that sort of thing). I don't see enough changing within 6 months to make it a best 22.
You only wanting to develop one guy up forward at a time if you are serious about being competitive...

Thoughts on Watson to full forward or centre half forward? Bird, Heppell, Myers, Hocking all win their own ball, Watson can go into the middle when and if required.

Thoughts on Watson to full forward or centre half forward? Bird, Heppell, Myers, Hocking all win their own ball, Watson can go into the middle when and if required.
Problem there is that we really only have 2 genuine inside ball winners in big numbers, Heppell and Watson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are calling this too soon. Watson has shown no signs of deterioration when uninjured. He's still only 30 right now and he doesn't rely on explosive pace to do his thing. I don't mind him spending a little more time up forward in order to transition to the next tier of inside mids, but that should happen at a pace that best suits the team. I think we are talking about 20% more time forward each year so long as he remains effective. That would mean at the age of 33 he would be a forward that runs through the midfield which sounds about right to me. Because he will always be wanted in the midfield in bursts, he is the perfect 3rd tall, whereas it is physically more demanding to play CHF.

FB Baguley Hartley Hooker
HB Hibberd Hurley Fantasia
C Colyer Watson Stanton
HF Laverde McKernan Zaharakis
FF Eades Daniher Cooney
R Leuenberger Heppell ZMerrett
Int Myers Goddard Bird Parish

Unlucky Hocking Langford TBell Edwards Brown

AFL;

FB: Baguley - Hartley - Hurley
HB; Hibberd - Hurley - Gleeson
C; Stanton - Heppell - Colyer
HF; Z.Merrett - Brown - Langford
F; Zaharakis - Daniher - Cooney
R; Lleunberger - Watson - Hocking/Bird/Myers
I/C; Bird/Hocking/Myers - Goddard - McKernan - Laverde

VFL;

B; Ashby - Pears - Francis
HB; Fantasia - Gwilt - Tippa
C; J.Merrett - Howlett - Parish
HF; Edwards - Ambrose - Long
F; Kommer - TBC - McKenna
R; Nyuon - Hams - Myers/Bird/Hocking
I/C; the rest

AFL;

VFL;

I/C; the rest

Oh noes Hooker died and Hurley doubled! Not sure how to feel.

I went a bit earlier but I'm going to amend mine and edit this later. At the moment I'd say the certainties should be;

Baguley Hurley [1]

[2] Hooker Hibberd

[3] Heppell Zerrett

Laverde [4] Colyer

[5] Daniher [6]

Leuenberger Myers Watson

Goddard Stanton Hocking Zaharakis

Note: I've really only got Stanton, BJ the clone donator, Hocking and Zaharakis on the bench to show what positions on the field I'd like to open up. Also, I'd love for Colyer to be able to play off a wing but it'll depend on whether he can get better at his quarter-to-quarter efforts.

At this point I'd love to sneak in Hartley, Gleeson, Jerrett, Fantasia, Mckernan, Mckenna and probably Langford ahead of Edwards, but I'll hold off for a while. Other than Hartley/Brown, I'm assuming the new draftees are a bit off the pace even though one or two of them will likely feature early.

AFL;

VFL;

I/C; the rest
You realise you picked 23 players!?

I think Hocking is best 22. But I think we have to leave 2 of our slow midfielders (Watson, Heppell, Myers, Goddard, Hocking, Bird, Howlett) out to get a better mix. Hocking is likely to be quite underdone also.

Hocking gets pickjed before Myers or Bird. Hell. I would take Hocking before Goddard as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back