Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Myers was on the up in 2014 and we were hoping for a big 2015. I don't think he has proven himself as a high calibre AFL player. He was struggling on the right side but learnt to overcome this late 2014.

Hocking is heart and soul.. Very good player.
Myers breaking his collarbone in the first 5 minutes in 2015 had a lot to do with not being able "to prove himself" even though I think in the eyes of many he had already shown his importance in the side. He's an extremely under-rated player.

Colyer is under zero pressure.
The reason Bird is straight into the team is that he is a hard bodied forward who runs through the middle. We have been crying out for this for years... Tried to turn Howlett into that player but he just doesn't read the play well enough. Bird is also the perfect foil for the development of one of the young forwards. With two really hard bodies in Hooker and Bird, we have that chance to create a comparatively pressure free spot of the likes of Langford/Laverde etc
For example;
Bird Hooker Cooney
Laverde Daniher Goddard
It's hard to believe but i think it really has happened... We now have a balanced forward line

Colyer isn't under pressure right at the minute but if Fantasia and Edwards step up and even Cooney finds a bit of form then it will definitely come at some stage, his pace is very good but he still doesn't get a whole heap of the ball, he would need to go up another level or two to permanently keep his spot if the expected improvement comes from the younger brigade, you cant fit them all into the 22.

As long as it is through improvements to fringe players rather than a decline in form to the incumbents, I hope ever player is under pressure to hold their spot.

I'd even like to see people suggesting Heppell, Watson, Daniher, Hooker and Hurley aren't a given based on others improving.

Colyer isn't under pressure right at the minute but if Fantasia and Edwards step up and even Cooney finds a bit of form then it will definitely come at some stage, his pace is very good but he still doesn't get a whole heap of the ball, he would need to go up another level or two to permanently keep his spot if the expected improvement comes from the younger brigade, you cant fit them all into the 22.
I would think that he doesn't get a whole heap of the ball because he spends a fair amount of time forward. We want him for intense bursts of speed through the midfield, so he can't spend too much time there...

I would think that he doesn't get a whole heap of the ball because he spends a fair amount of time forward. We want him for intense bursts of speed through the midfield, so he can't spend too much time there...

Totally agree, but if we are to improve as a team and some of the younger brigade step up then a player who is used just for bursts of speed will become a liability.

FB: Baguley - Hooker - Francis
HB; Hibberd - Hurley - Gleeson
C; Stanton - Heppell - Colyer
HF; Z.Merrett - McKernan - Bird
F; Zaharakis - Daniher - Langford
R; Lleunberger - Watson - Hocking
I/C; Myers - Goddard - J. Merrett - Laverde

Do we think Brown is more highly rated than Hartley, or is it more likely Brown went first as he can play forward?
Let's be honest here, we all know that VFL stars are not necessarily stars at AFL level.

Hartley was let go by Collingwood despite them losing Maxwell and others and being disparate for replacements.

Brown showed glimpses of brilliance at AFL level but always had his campaign cut short by injury.

How many players have gone from AFL to VFL and come back as AFL stars?

Both have a big challenge, Hartley to prove that he is AFL standard and Brown to hold his body together despite stepping up several notches in intensity.

Let's be honest here, we all know that VFL stars are not necessarily stars at AFL level.

Hartley was let go by Collingwood despite them losing Maxwell and others and being disparate for replacements.

Brown showed glimpses of brilliance at AFL level but always had his campaign cut short by injury.

Both have a big challenge, Hartley to prove that he is AFL standard and Brown to hold his body together despite stepping up several notches in intensity.

Hartley was cruelled by injuries and was so far back it was easier to just cut him (senior list > rookie list > cat b rookie list/NSW Scholarship player).

Brown is the one for me. He was taken in the first round on the back of an absolutely dominant school season iirc with many predicting him to be boom or bust. Injuries, a lack of confidence and a lack of position (again iirc he was thrown around a lot) hurt him across his career at Geelong.

For the guys who are fighting back onto AFL lists (after time away from AFL enviroments), shows more determination and grit than any of the guys selected directly from the VFL.

Astute recruiting and even if we get 2/3 depth years out of these guys, it will hopefully allow us time to recruit and develop more KPP's at Essendon.

Do we think Brown is more highly rated than Hartley, or is it more likely Brown went first as he can play forward?
I rate Hartley higher but Brown fills a bigger need.

Hartley had a spate of injuries and doesn't play anything like Maxwell.

Totally agree, but if we are to improve as a team and some of the younger brigade step up then a player who is used just for bursts of speed will become a liability.
Yeah i'm not sure how we would rate him as a half forward so far? I think his defensive pressure up forward has probably been good, but i guess we would want more goals from him? That said, if he can get a goal a game when he is only spending half his time up forward then i guess that ticks the box. His stats kind of add up if you consider a good return to be 12 midfield touches from half a game plus 6 possessions per half game up forward? If he hadn't been injured he would have been on track for 17 touches a game so i would say he is thereabouts. I also think he concentrates on defensive accountability and that is going to place him behind the ball at times.
As far as his future is concerned, i'm far more confident than i am with any of our up and coming crew. He looks almost the complete player to me... I particularly like the way is overhead marking is developing, and i think its clear how much work and effort he is putting in. I think i will stand by my comment that he is under zero pressure ;) Not to say that can't change, but i would rate his current team status on a similar level to Hibberd.

Essendon’s best 22 (FOXSPORTS)

B: Mitch Brown, Michael Hurley, Mark Baguley

HB: Michael Hibberd, Cale Hooker, Aaron Francis

C: David Myers, Dyson Heppell, Brent Stanton

HF: David Zaharakis, Tom Bellchambers, Zach Merrett

F: Travis Colyer, Joe Daniher, Adam Cooney

FOLL: Matthew Leuenberger, Jobe Watson, Brendon Goddard

I/C: Craig Bird, Heath Hocking, Kyle Langford, Darcy Parish

EMERGENCIES: Martin Gleeson, Patrick Ambrose, Ben Howlett

OTHERS: Michael Hartley, Shaun McKernan, Tayte Pears, Jason Ashby, Courtenay Dempsey, Orazio Fantasia, Yestin Eades, Nick Kommer, Jayden Laverde, Jackson Merrett, Mason Redman, Shaun Edwards, James Gwilt, Alex Morgan,

ROOKIES: Tom Wallis, Jake Long, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Conor McKenna, Will Hams, Gach Nyuon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main questions I'd have with the above are the absence of McKernan, Fantasia and especially, Laverde.
Meh, there is probably only one development spot to assign in our full strength side and it is a total raffle as to who it could go to. Parish is probably being underestimated as a starter round one, particularly if we try to squeeze an extra tall into the forward line which will be tempting...
It is hard to see TBC ahead of Mckernan at CHF though isn't it? I'd far rather Mckernan as the third tall with Hooker forward and Brown/Hartley down back. Mckernan looks ideal as a third tall whereas i'm not convinced he is a CHF. TBC probably even less so...

Nearly all of us have Cooney outside the 22. Who thinks it will actually happen? Can't help but feel
Round one Cooney plays.

If he's fit, he's too good a player to leave out.

Smack not even in the emergencies... geez that's an oversight. Bloke was bloody good last year.

IMO, he starts the year as our second choice tall forward (meaning automatically in the best 22), and a very tidy ruck backup - gotta say, of the three (Leuey, Bellcho and Smack), Bellchambers is the likeliest to be left out for round 1. But honestly, assuming preseason goes well for all, I'm more than happy to play all three and Daniher in the same side until we see reason not to.

Francis ahead of Gleeson? For round 1?? Bit harsh on Marty.

And Parish ahead of Fantasia, also very harsh. Most draftees can't just walk in to your best 22.

Anyways, list is complete so my crack at our round 1 side:

FB: Baguley - Hooker - Hibberd
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Gwilt
C: Stanton - Heppell - Myers
HF: Colyer - McKernan - Zaharakis
FF: Cooney - Daniher - Merrett
R: Leuenberger - Watson - Goddard

Int: Fantasia - Laverde - Langford - Bellchambers

Emg: Brown - Bird - Hocking

It's harder than people think. It depends so much on form and also if players fulfil their potential.

B: Hibberd Hurley Baguley

HB: Gleeson Pears Myers

C: Parish Watson Stanton

HF: Zaharakis Daniher Z.Merrett

F: Coyler Hooker Goddard

R:Leuenberger Heppell Bird

IC: Bellchambers Hocking Fantasia Laverde

Cooney, Gwilt, Howlett, J. Merrett, McKernan & Dempsey all could easily be slotted in in front of the younger players.

I just like to look at this reserves side... There are not too many names in there that you wouldn't be reasonably confident to see hold their own in the seniors. It gives me some real hope!
B: Anthony Tipungwuti, Michael Hartley, Jason Ashby
HB: Alex Morgan, Tayte Pears, Aaron Francis
C: Jackson Merrett, Darcy Parish, Orazio Fantasia
HF: Kyle Langford, Patrick Ambrose, Shaun Edwards
F: Yestin Eades, Mitch Brown, Conor McKenna
Foll: Gach Nyuon, Will Hams, Ben Howlett
I/C: James Gwilt, Nick Kommer, Mason Redman, Jake Long

Smack not even in the emergencies... geez that's an oversight. Bloke was bloody good last year.

IMO, he starts the year as our second choice tall forward (meaning automatically in the best 22), and a very tidy ruck backup - gotta say, of the three (Leuey, Bellcho and Smack), Bellchambers is the likeliest to be left out for round 1. But honestly, assuming preseason goes well for all, I'm more than happy to play all three and Daniher in the same side until we see reason not to.

Francis ahead of Gleeson? For round 1?? Bit harsh on Marty.

And Parish ahead of Fantasia, also very harsh. Most draftees can't just walk in to your best 22.

Anyways, list is complete so my crack at our round 1 side:

FB: Baguley - Hooker - Hibberd
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Gwilt
C: Stanton - Heppell - Myers
HF: Colyer - McKernan - Zaharakis
FF: Cooney - Daniher - Merrett
R: Leuenberger - Watson - Goddard

Int: Fantasia - Laverde - Langford - Bellchambers

Emg: Brown - Bird - Hocking
Don't think you can have all of Leuey, TBell, Smack in the same side.
Leuey is a given for no1 ruck if fit imo, which makes it either TBell or Smack. I, like I suspect most, would have Smack. But I'd bet TBell gets first crack if fit.

If he's fit, he's too good a player to leave out.
If fit and in good form, he plays.

His form at the end of this year was atrocious, however, which probably explains why people have him outside the 22.

If fit and in good form, he plays.

His form at the end of this year was atrocious, however, which probably explains why people have him outside the 22.

Agreed.

Plays round 1 IMO, from there, his name means nothing.

Who will it be?
McKernan, TBell or Leaunberger...???

Stats say McKernan has earnt the right...

McKernan - career games 43, 2015 - ave hitouts - 22.9, disposals - 18.3, marks - 3.8, goals - 0.7, tackles - 1.6
TBell - career games 79, 2015 - ave hitouts - 24.7, disposals - 9.8, marks - 3.6, goals - 0.2, tackles - 1.5
Luey - career games 108, 2015 - ave hitouts - 19.6, disposals - 7.6, marks - 2.1, goals - 0.5, tackles - 2.2

McKernan is well ahead of the other 2 in terms of disposals and hitting the scoreboard more. If he can improve more in 2016 he could become a real weapon and we may even have the luxury of using TBell or Luey off the bench as the back-up...Thoughts..??

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back