HB: Hibberd - Brown - Fantasia
C: Stanton - Heppell - Colyer
HF: Zaharakis - Hooker - Goddard
FF: Mckernan - Daniher - Bird
R: Luenberger - Watson - Z. Merrett
IC: Hocking - Myers - Parish - Laverde

EMG: Gleeson - Langford - Bellchambers

Some of the more contentious stuff includes:
3 tall backs - i think its ideal where possible and i like the idea of Hurley being able to play 3rd tall when we have a fit list. Francis will come into contention for 3rd tall spot too as the season goes on.
Hooker up forward - I prefer it because we need his leadership up there and we need two genuine targets not just Daniher.
Parish in the side ahead of Gleeson/Langford/J.Merrett - i just think his class and ability will see him into the seniors from day one and will end up playing ~15 games in his first season.
Fantasia taking Gleeson's spot off the half back flank - although unproven i think Fantasia has better line breaking ability than Gleeson and we don't need him on the wing so much with Colyer back in the side as well.
Bird will play quite a bit of time in the forward line i think. Again adds much needed experience.

Not one player in the forward line with genuine pace. Sides would waltz it out of there.

Update on my best 22 :

B: Martin Gleeson, Michael Hurley, Mark Baguley
HB: Michael Hibberd, Cale Hooker, Brendon Goddard
C: David Zaharakis, Jobe Watson, Zach Merrett
HF: Travis Colyer, Shaun McKernan, Shaun Edwards
F: Mitch Brown, Joe Daniher, Courtney Dempsey
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Heath Hocking, Dyson Heppell
I/C: David Myers, Craig Bird, Adam Cooney, Brent Stanton

* Leverde to play for Dempsey during his suspension.
* Pears , Gwilt or Hartley to come in as 3rd tall when playing teams with 3 key talls.

Reserves:

B: Anthony Tipungwuti, Michael Hartley, Jason Ashby
HB: Alex Morgan, Tayte Pears, Aaron Francis
C: Jackson Merrett, Darcy Parish, Orazio Fantasia
HF: Mason Redman, Patrick Ambrose, Jayden Laverde
F: Yestin Eades, Tom Bellchambers, Conor McKenna
Foll: Gach Nyuon, Kyle Langford, Ben Howlett
I/C: James Gwilt, Nick Kommer, Jake Long, Will Hams

A maybe Best 22 in 3 years:

B: Martin Gleeson, Michael Hurley, Alex Morgan
HB: Michael Hibberd, Cale Hooker, Aaron Francis
C: David Zaharakis, , Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish
HF: Jayden Laverde, Joe Daniher, Shaun Edwards
F: Travis Colyer, Shaun Mckernan, Yestin Eades
Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Dyson Heppell, Kyle Langford
I/C: David Myers, Jackson Merrett, Mason Redman, Orazio Fantasia

* Another young key forward should be the target in next years draft / trade period.

Update on my best 22 :

* Pears , Gwilt or Hartley to come in as 3rd tall when playing teams with 3 key talls.

Reserves:

* Another young key forward should be the target in next years draft / trade period.
I like your future best 22. For once, it looks pacy on paper.

Not one player in the forward line with genuine pace. Sides would waltz it out of there.

Perhaps that is a fair criticism but unfortunately the guys that have the pace are either needed elsewhere in which case they will rotate through the forward line eg Colyer, Merrett, Fantasia and Laverde. The other guys with better pace like Edwards, McKenna, Long, Eades, Kommer just have too many question marks to include them as best 22 right now. Although i fully expect Edwards and Mckenna at least to be playing some senior games.
Also i would back Bird to do a better job locking down the best rebounding defender than many of the pacier guys.

One other thing i always wonder about is - is it really lack of pace that allows opposition to break out or is it getting outmarked and not being disciplined enough in getting back defensively/not having proper structures.

Update on my best 22 :

Reserves:

Future 22 too small in defence. Would slot Hartley in there.

Picking a best 22 in position for next year is an exercise in futility.

New, defensive coaches, along with our fast developing list means there's no way to get this right. The best I could hope for is to get the spine right, to build the rest around it.

At this stage, I think we (Woosha & Guy) could develop Pears to the stage that we can afford to shift Hooker forward to be a tall alongside Brown and Daniher (full forward).

What I like about the list at the minute is that there is genuine competition for spots. Particularly given change of coach and some ageing champions.

The way I see it there is only a handful of locks for the first part of the season - Watson, hurls, hooker, Daniher, Heppell, bags, leuy, zerret and Goddard could genuinely demand a spot in the 22.

The likes of Stanton, Cooney & zaka competing against collyer, parish, Edwards, eades, laverde, Langford etc for those wing / half forward rolls.

T bell mckernan competing for second ruck forward,

Hibbo, Dempsey, Gleeson, Francis, Morgan competing for half back / rebounding defender.

Brown, francis, gwilt, Hartley, pears, Francis for second / third defender

Etc etc. personally I hope to see more of laverde Langford, Fantasia collyer along with enough exposure for a few of this years crop over Stanton, Cooney and some of the other older guys who are past their best.

2016 version;-

Gwilt Hurley Baguley
Hibberd Hooker Myers
Stanton Heppell Zakka
Laverde McKernan Z.Merrett
Watson Daniher Cooney

Leaunberger Goddard Bird

Bench from: Hocking Colyer Brown Dempsey

I think Bird will bring a lot to the table and can rotate with Hocking as our tough inside mid. Goddard & Watson to rotate ruck rover and forward pocket - both bring some class to our forward line & are capable of kicking multiple goals which we need.
Defense looks very strong, & both Hooker & Brown can play CHF so McKernan can give Leaunberger a chop out in the ruck if required.
Also lots of depth with Fantasia, Langford, Howlett, Edwards, Ambrose, TBell, Parish etc who will get time in the 22 if form warrants.
Team is starting to look pretty strong and a lot of it will be between the ears in terms of if we can make the 8 - realistically bottom half of the 8, but I think this team can do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016 version;-

Gwilt Hurley Baguley
Hibberd Hooker Myers
Stanton Heppell Zakka
Laverde McKernan Z.Merrett
Watson Daniher Cooney

Leaunberger Goddard Bird

Bench from: Hocking Colyer Brown Dempsey

I think Bird will bring a lot to the table and can rotate with Hocking as our tough inside mid. Goddard & Watson to rotate ruck rover and forward pocket - both bring some class to our forward line & are capable of kicking multiple goals which we need.
Defense looks very strong, & both Hooker & Brown can play CHF so McKernan can give Leaunberger a chop out in the ruck if required.
Also lots of depth with Fantasia, Langford, Howlett, Edwards, Ambrose, TBell, Parish etc who will get time in the 22 if form warrants.
Team is starting to look pretty strong and a lot of it will be between the ears in terms of if we can make the 8 - realistically bottom half of the 8, but I think this team can do it.
I would be annoyed if this was our 2016 team. Way too old. We need games into kids if we want to see growth and development.

Less Cooney and Dempsey, and possibly Gwilt. Would prefer games into guys such as Fantasia, Langford, Gleeson, Edwards.

I would be annoyed if this was our 2016 team. Way too old. We need games into kids if we want to see growth and development.

Less Cooney and Dempsey, and possibly Gwilt. Would prefer games into guys such as Fantasia, Langford, Gleeson, Edwards.

I somewhat agree MAAAATTDAAAAMON and no doubt the likes of likes of Fantasia, Langford, Gleeson, Edwards will be pushing for spots in the 22, but just coz a few of our guys are getting up in years doesnt mean they cant perform - just see see Hawthorn.....

but just coz a few of our guys are getting up in years doesnt mean they cant perform - just see see Hawthorn.....
A) Hawks are not rebuilding, and are playing for now.
B) Hawks have older players that have been, and are still, great players.

That Gwilt, Dempsey and Cooney were ever on Essendon's list, or still on the list reflects poorly on Essendon. They have nothing in common with the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne, and nor do Essendon with Hawthorn.

Gwilt, Dempsey
Gwilt was good depth for us last year.
Putting Dempsey in that group is incredibly laughable. Has been a good player for us for a long time, and has started to decline over the last year or two.

Suggests to me that you barely know Essendon but still feel inclined to come to our board and make your judgements on the players. Which is fine, feel free to do so.

Okay, yeah Cooney and Dempsey were good players once, and Gwilt has always been handy, but we are talking about 2016 yeah? Entering 2016, to compare them and Essendon to Hawthorn's situation and to Hawthorn's star veteran players suggests to me that your knowledge of Essendon may be lacking, or at best biased, but whatever.

I am also confident that if Gwilt, Cooney and Dempsey had all been out of contract at the end of 2015 and were all delisted or 'retired', it would not have raised eyebrows for very long for even the most knowledgeable Essendon fan, so don't be so patronising.

I am also confident that if Gwilt, Cooney and Dempsey had all been out of contract at the end of 2015 and were all delisted or 'retired', it would not have raised eyebrows for very long for even the most knowledgeable Essendon fan, so don't be so patronising.

Gwilt was very good for us last year, Dempsey OK & Cooney disappointing. I feel all these guys can contribute and have the ability to be best 22 in 2016.
I certainly wasn't comparing them to the Hawks stars, more so our list in terms of having a good mix of age and youth. But draw from that what you will not here to argue you clearly dont know our list very well making some of the misinformed comments above.

Okay, yeah Cooney and Dempsey were good players once, and Gwilt has always been handy, but we are talking about 2016 yeah? Entering 2016, to compare them and Essendon to Hawthorn's situation and to Hawthorn's star veteran players suggests to me that your knowledge of Essendon may be lacking, or at best biased, but whatever.
That's not what you said though. You said it reflects poorly on Essendon that they were ever on our list. I don't believe I compared us to Hawthorn at all.
Rich. Would be wise of you to remember which board you're on when you post.

Gwilt was very good for us last year, Dempsey OK & Cooney disappointing. I feel all these guys can contribute and have the ability to be best 22 in 2016.
I certainly wasn't comparing them to the Hawks stars, more so our list in terms of having a good mix of age and youth. But draw from that what you will not here to argue you clearly dont know our list very well making some of the misinformed comments above.
Misinformed?

Essendon topped up on older players thinking they were on the verge of something, it was a gamble and for various reasons it didn’t work. It didn't cost an arm or a leg, so not too much damage done. Now it is time to rebuild, and I think the best way for that to happen us to play the kids, especially when the the older players are not in the top 15-18 players anyway. Gwilt has always been handy, but what is the benefit for Essendon playing him medium and long term, when the short term benefit is questionable anyway? Play Hartley or Brown, or get games into Francis, or use Goddard down back in that role and develop other players up the ground.

Dempsey and Cooney at their best are still good players, but both have struggled with form and fitness these last few years, and I would have thought getting games into others who will still be there in 2017 and beyond is a better idea, but what can I possibly know - I am not an Essendon supporter!

Anyway, I didn't plan to be a keyboard warrior today, so I am signing off from this thread. For what it is worth, I like the Bombers and feel they are not too far off the mark. I really want to see Gleeson cement his place and have a creative role, and I hope Mitch Brown can make the most of his second chance, like McKernan did last year. Getting games into Gleeson, Mckernan, Laverde, Langford, Francis and Parish etc should be a high priority, and set their sights on the future.

I am not sure what you mean by me being rich, but if it is in relation to Geelong that is funny.
That would be comedic gold actually. But it is not what he meant.
rich: (of a remark) causing ironic amusement or indignation.

This is a lot harder than it seems without opposition to consider and with no clear vision of how the new recruits will fare over the NAB challenge. Gave her a crack though..

Bags Hurls Gleeson
Pig Hooker Goddard

Trav Jobe Stants

Edwards Smack Laverde
Zaka Joey Bellchambers*

Leuey Zmerret Hep

Myers Bird Hocking Fantasia
Francis Langford Tippa
(Sunday game TBA)

* logical decision on paper, but needs to show his worth over the preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back