Andrew Mackie on the outer at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Pat_Footy

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Mackie was dropped for an elimination final. In the cats press conference after the game, Thompson described Lonergan as the preferred option and Mackie was doubtful to force his way back into the team.

Mackie is a class act and would be in most teams 22.

Does anyone think he could be disgruntled enough to ask for a trade?

Mackie was dropped for an elimination final. In the cats press conference after the game, Thompson described Lonergan as the preferred option and Mackie was doubtful to force his way back into the team.

2 points - we don't need much more bolstering in the defence - it was probably our strongest group. With time they will grow together and hopefully be a force like the cats/pies.

Secondly - and i've said this for a while - Mackie is an average footballer. He's made to look good in a strong defence that has a mature midfield putting pressure on the opposition midfield.

When trading for players - you trade for need - and for us that is genuine midfield class and an extra forward who can provide strong defensive pressure i50.

Wouldn't think so, Pat, but we could hope!:D:thumbsu:

I really rate Mackie. He is made to look a lot better than he is because of the players around him obviously. I don't think he's reached his potential yet at 26. If he was at the eagles he would probably be a half forward which he played earlier in his career. I would be a supporter of him releasing butler or hurn out of defense though.

But yes its a stretch, a lot of water needs to go under the bridge. Getting dropped for a grand final was the clincher for Mummy.

I reckon he signed a super long contract with them not long ago.
5 years something like that but that sounds too long could have been joking.

I thought Mackie was quite poor in his early years of development, but he turned out to be a good player. That's what makes me hopeful with our bunch of kids - though much criticized by some, I think they have shown a lot and I'm hopeful they'll come through and be good servants for the club.
All that said and done, I don't think we need him. Defence is not our problem.

I thought Mackie was quite poor in his early years of development..

The issue was Mackie was so light he was a featherweight. It took a long time to finds a position where he could use his skill by foot. The game probably changed with zoning etc more to his body shape.

I doubt he would be going anywhere. He signed a 4 year contract last year (I think) but in these days in teams who knows. He is 02 draft same as Lonergan where as Scarlett,Milburn,Enright,Wojo are 99 or earlier The fact is most of our defense is old and even is he misse's out now he will still be needed for the future. If he spits it because he doesn't get picked it would be interesting try to determine his value.

He was P7 in the 02 draft but is now more importantly he is a seasoned Premiership player that would be plug and play at most clubs

ewww no.

one of the most over-rated players in the comp. goes ok in a killer team, even geelong supporters dont like him.

would rather lewis stevenson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a couple of best on grounds which i just can't get over. He was simply outstanding.

He probably is surplus to the eagles and if he's recently signed a 4 year contract it's dead in the water.

If he fell into our laps I'd be absolutely rapt, but that's not going to happen.

And if were only bidding what he's worth to us, we'd lose out in a bidding war.

Yeah, not sure 3rd tall rebound defender is really a problem for us - Schofield/Brown/Spangher, Bones, JJones are all capable.

Mackie is good, got great disposal but he's limited by the people around him. He's not a star, but he's solid. And we have Butler, Sheppard, Bones, Schofield who can play his role. Don't need him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Mackie on the outer at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back