Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Labor is centre left.

They really need to do a lot more for the average worker and battler though.
They are?
How do you figure that?
Their 2022 election platform was not a left of cente platform

1723002068926.png

Government making people sign NDAs to get briefings on policy in their fields so that they are gagged and can't criticise it from a position of knowledge

Don't sign and you get no info

Not very democratic

and this is meant to be the "center left" party according to some

Irony that they are anti immigration with the flag of St George of Malta, who never er=ver wanted to visit england
They are?
How do you figure that?
Their 2022 election platform was not a left of cente platform

View attachment 2071215

Not sure how libertarian the greens re

Comment assumes Labor want to be progressive?
Just realised I also meant to say, even if Labor don't want to be progressive, they definitely want to stay in power and not lose the next election. But not being progressive hasn't helped them at all in the polls. The one time I can remember them getting an uptick was when they made the stage 3 tax cuts more progressive. The public liked a move to make things fairer and didn't pay attention to Dutton wailing "BROKEN PROMISE!!!"

So being progressive in this instance isn't only a matter of ideology. I'd argue it's pragmatic too for increasing their chances at the next election.

Now, now, let's not start having a go at Gen X-ers, let's keep our focus on entitled Boomers and lazy Millennials :ninjav1:
30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by Peacock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may also be a reason…. That nrl team looks good now..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You think he's posting memes about cost of living because of this?

Government making people sign NDAs to get briefings on policy in their fields so that they are gagged and can't criticise it from a position of knowledge

Don't sign and you get no info

Not very democratic

and this is meant to be the "center left" party according to some

You just go on a footy forum and spill the beans anonymously . But i see your point.

You just go on a footy forum and spill the beans anonymously . But i see your point.
Effectively they're trying to silence the advocates/experts so their is no valid criticism of their policy

Or be able to say you don't know what you're talking about because you didn't come to the briefing to discredit the criticism

Government secrecy is a massive issue in Australia now

FOI is broken on purpose as well

This is state and federal regardless of who is in power it seems

Corporate profits create inflation
Inflation forces RBA to raise rates
Raised rates negatively impact asset-poor people.

How hard would it be for the Govt to close the circle by increasing corporate tax rates (and/or reducing deductions) and giving it back to asset-poor people?

Don't forget a huge chunk of the Stage 3 tax cuts still went to the very-well-off people who are also making money from increasing interest rates. The ALP made it slightly better.

But they've done nothing to address out-of-control corporate monopolies from profiteering. Instead they prefer to pretend that the bottom 30% actually have more discretionary spending to shed, to get inflation down, while the top 20% are boosting their spending forcing things in the other direction.

This is the most head-in-sand Government I've ever seen. At least the Libs acknowledge what was happening when they stagnated wages deliberately and who benefited from it. A good 20-30% of Australians are doing it real tough, mostly ALP voters and the ALP are patting themselves on the back over and over again instead of telling us what else they will do to help.

How hard would it be for the Govt to close the circle by increasing corporate tax rates (and/or reducing deductions) and giving it back to asset-poor people?

Don't forget a huge chunk of the Stage 3 tax cuts still went to the very-well-off people who are also making money from increasing interest rates. The ALP made it slightly better.

But they've done nothing to address out-of-control corporate monopolies from profiteering. Instead they prefer to pretend that the bottom 30% actually have more discretionary spending to shed, to get inflation down, while the top 20% are boosting their spending forcing things in the other direction.

This is the most head-in-sand Government I've ever seen. At least the Libs acknowledge what was happening when they stagnated wages deliberately and who benefited from it. A good 20-30% of Australians are doing it real tough, mostly ALP voters and the ALP are patting themselves on the back over and over again instead of telling us what else they will do to help.
it gets better
raising rates raises inflation
government indexing based on inflation, wait for it, raises inflation

Also the targets the RBA have could be adjusted to match modern society better, because they're still using the same metrics they did 40 years ago

it gets better
raising rates raises inflation
government indexing based on inflation, wait for it, raises inflation

Also the targets the RBA have could be adjusted to match modern society better, because they're still using the same metrics they did 40 years ago
The cause and effect for the RBA would largely remain the same. Corporate profits were driving inflation world-wide. The RBA has one lever, the Government has 400 and are refusing to look at them because they're paralysed with fear.

The cause and effect for the RBA would largely remain the same. Corporate profits were driving inflation world-wide. The RBA has one lever, the Government has 400 and are refusing to look at them because they're paralysed with fear.
yes the lever for the RBA largely remains the same and yes the unwillingness of governments to do anything themselves is a large problem

all i am saying is the measurements the RBA have are not good for 2024 and that means the damage they do is worse than it could be if they had better or different operating parameters

that is on the list of things the government could do

How do rising rates hurt asset poor people? Rising rates are an expense paid on investment in assets. If you dont invest in assets then rising rates dont impact you directly. Thus rising assets dont impact renters. The rent price problem is largely unrelated to rising rates and is driven by lack of housing supply.

Rising rates do hurt businesses looking to expand however. The biggest groups impacted by rising rates are sectors related to investment. Why do people think rising rates just impact households and not business?

Whilst i support higher corporate taxes (because they tax foreign investors who dont pay income tax here) they do, however, add to inflation by pushing up consumer prices and thus are not a good policy to introduce during times of inflation.

There has been little evidence of an increase in monopolist pricing (Excluding qantas). Profits rose mostly because of supply side problems created by the pandemic response and they have been coming back down as these supply problems have eased. These profits are completely valid because they help reallocate resources to ease the supply problems that created them. Without these temporary higher profits it takes longer for these problems to resolve leading to shortages. Monopoly pricing is not valid but as i said, there has been little evidence of this behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back