Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

i like racing and betting on footy. anyone who wants to bet on those things can and should be able to.

the advertising on tv and radio is unnecessary and nauseating.

your analogy is bad also - no one is banning gambling, just the advertising of it.

a better analogy would be pr0n. why don’t we have the hub advertising on prime time tv. jerk responsibly.
The nature of advertising is that they're trying to sell you something you don't really need. Junk food, Toys, clothes, funeral insurance, house improvement, new cars, wine aerator. I just watched a bunch of ads, and the last few were the list.

Have you ever watched Grand Designs and seen people drive themselves broke and ruin their lives?

There's very few ads for lettuce, bananas and vegetables or anything else people actually need.

If we ban advertising for things which you don't need and which are financially a bad idea for people, there wouldn't be a lot of ads left.

I have a better view of young people. They're growing up with hyper-online exposure. Social media is so much a bigger problem than online gambling...

Blame the Libs and newscorp for brain washing this country into believing anything that isn't in line with the far right ideology is bad.
What you do when you are in government is who you are.

Albanese is Beasley again; diet coke Howard with a kinder story. No more, no less.

The nature of advertising is that they're trying to sell you something you don't really need. Junk food, Toys, clothes, funeral insurance, house improvement, new cars, wine aerator. I just watched a bunch of ads, and the last few were the list.

Have you ever watched Grand Designs and seen people drive themselves broke and ruin their lives?

There's very few ads for lettuce, bananas and vegetables or anything else people actually need.

If we ban advertising for things which you don't need and which are financially a bad idea for people, there wouldn't be a lot of ads left.

I have a better view of young people. They're growing up with hyper-online exposure. Social media is so much a bigger problem than online gambling...
Just to confirm, you're advocating that there doesn't need to be a reduction in gambling ads?

The prices of ads would drop, and ads for food and clothing would fill the void.

The prices of ads would drop, and ads for food and clothing would fill the void.
And there will be more ads. Have you watched the 3rd and 4th commercial channels? Ads are so cheap, they stuff in more of them.

Just to confirm, you're advocating that there doesn't need to be a reduction in gambling ads?
I think there should be limits in time and program (i.e. exclude them from the sports which Govt says have to be free-to-air and anything before 7:30pm, kids programs etc). Not in volume.

If the racing channel has wall-to-wall gambling ads, is that really a problem? If you're watching the racing channel, you're not pretending gambling doesn't exist.

I also think the thinking about the gambling ad disclaimers should be changed. They should probably just take that proportion of money and independently create decent anti-gambling ads.

And there will be more ads. Have you watched the 3rd and 4th commercial channels? Ads are so cheap, they stuff in more of them.

I think there should be limits in time and program (i.e. exclude them from the sports which Govt says have to be free-to-air and anything before 7:30pm, kids programs etc). Not in volume.

If the racing channel has wall-to-wall gambling ads, is that really a problem? If you're watching the racing channel, you're not pretending gambling doesn't exist.

I also think the thinking about the gambling ad disclaimers should be changed. They should probably just take that proportion of money and independently create decent anti-gambling ads.
or
they should ban advertising for gambling

like they were going to

Like Peta Murphy wanted

Running gambling ads on racing.com is not what anyone here is talking about. It's staggering that there is anyone who thinks the volume of gambling is at an acceptable level.

or
they should ban advertising for gambling

like they were going to

Like Peta Murphy wanted

Bans to prevent a behavioural problem aren't a great idea, IMO. There's lots of behavioural problems which are impacted by advertising.

Smoking bans are a direct health impact. Problem gambling is a secondary issue. Gambling itself isn't harmful in every instance like smoking is.

We should probably be asking questions of our publicly listed media companies if the withdrawal of one advertiser could lead them to collapse. That doesn't sound like a particularly safe investment to me.
Those media companies spend all their resources promoting worse things for Australia than gambling advertising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bans to prevent a behavioural problem aren't a great idea, IMO. There's lots of behavioural problems which are impacted by advertising.

Smoking bans are a direct health impact. Problem gambling is a secondary issue. Gambling itself isn't harmful in every instance like smoking is.
gambling is much more harmful than not

there is literally no benefit from it

there is only risk of damage and actual damage

over time you don't win

its a con

addicts shouldn't have to deal with it constantly being shown to them everywhere

A blanket ban would apply to the racing channel, though. That's why blanket bans are lazy legislation for a behavioural problem
who give a shit

why do you need adds for gambling on a racing channel

why do you need a racing channel

oh i know why so people can gamble online and at home

so there's no down time for them to get space from their addiciton

Bit disingenuous, they aren’t banning the behavior just the obscene amount of advertising that has seen problematic gambling rise exponentially in Australia and more young people gambling than ever.

1723616651174.jpeg

apparently if you shuffle the cabinet you shouldn't have to honor FOI requests for info from the previous office because reasons

courts said bullshit

Dreyfuss is appealing because I guess they don't like the idea of being able to bury shit by changing the minister to stop damning evidence being released

this is the so called progressive center left party that is not progressive or center left but behaving exactly as the previous Morrison led government did re secrecy

View attachment 2079213

apparently if you shuffle the cabinet you shouldn't have to honor FOI requests for info from the previous office because reasons

courts said bullshit

Dreyfuss is appealing because I guess they don't like the idea of being able to bury shit by changing the minister to stop damning evidence being released

this is the so called progressive center left party that is not progressive or center left but behaving exactly as the previous Morrison led government did re secrecy

Labor have really lost the ablity to govern. They're stuck being LNP lite.

Labor have really lost the ablity to govern. They're stuck being LNP lite.
when i say they are closer to each other than they are to voters this is an example

I suspect they see why the LNP was in power for so long they think "that's what people want" and not see it as "that's why people voted them out"
No it's that they have largely the same donors

View attachment 2079213

courts said bullshit

Just chalk up another broken Albo promise in regards to transparency in government

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

who give a shit

why do you need adds for gambling on a racing channel

why do you need a racing channel

oh i know why so people can gamble online and at home

so there's no down time for them to get space from their addiciton
You've obviously never watched the racing channel which only shows live racing when they're on in Vic/SA. The other 90% of the time, it's shows with replays and analysis. Overnight it's historic races and background stories. If you're watching the racing channel, it's because you like racing, not because you're addicted to gambling. Don't forget the horse auctions where millionaires take punts with even worse payouts than the pokies.

I think there should be less gambling ads when kids would be watching, which would also give respite for problem gamblers. There's whole gambling agencies. It shouldn't be too hard for them to come up with ways of addressing the two actual problems: advertising to children, advertising to addicts.

It's not like addicts aren't bombarded with gambling adds in their online lives, which is where they will go if the racing channel disappears. There are subtle and complicated factors and unintended consequences to something like a blanket TV ban.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back