Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't care

Still don't care

Still don't care
Never once supported what he wrote or what Wilson wrote.. Keep digging.

Active supporters are just that.. Actively seeking trouble. Flares, fighting, swearing.. they deserve to be banned. We need to follow the UK system.. there is still the odd pocket of violence but their fans can seem to support there team without acting like giant dickheads. Active supporters ruin the A-league, ban them all.

You don't care at all for natural justice? Fair enough. We probably don't care for your Eurosnob opinion. I think you'd probably have a different opinion if you'd been convicted by the media with no right of appeal, having been promised confidentiality.

Leeds had 25 people arrested in Germany after a pre-season friendly this year.

A few weeks ago a West Ham fan was stabbed before the Tottenham game.

Fans of Aston Villa and Birmingham brawled over a friggen League Cup match.

There was a near riot less than 2 months ago on the streets of Manchester before City played Sevilla.

English fans caused crowd trouble in Lithuania a couple of months ago.

Oldham Athletic fans threw rocks at the Bradford City bus in September.

Newcastle United had 175 arrests last season, compared to the A-League's 198 unappealable bans, of which very few resulted in arrests.

Your Eurosnobbery leads you to be incredibly ignorant. Are you seriously trying to make an argument that, because you don't see flares in England they don't have dickheads?

The English FA would dream of only having to deal with the A-Leagues issues.

Yeah, lets follow how they do things hey?:rolleyes:

By the way, Victory have a tick under 27,000 members. They've had 12 people banned. Ever. They've just turned a profit that most AFL clubs would be jealous of.

Active supporters ruin the league?

**** off troll.

Last edited:

So after publishing information that was confidential on the front page of a newspaper Wlson has apparently now asked Melbourne Victory to tell her who is in charge of the MV.NET forum because she is supposedly getting "defamed" on there.

I'm sure whoever she spoke to from MVFC would have died with laughter at her request. What a delusional vile grub Wilson is. She is an embarrassment to journalists everywhere.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/alan-jones-league-violence-terrorism-paris

link is fine since its 442 and not supporting any of the anti football media but i will copy and paste too

Alan Jones on A-League violence: "Is this like terrorism in Paris?"

Australian radio broadcaster Alan Jones has sparked more fury by comparing A-League violence to the recent terrorist attacks on Paris.

Jones was speaking to Rebecca Wilson on his breakfast show about Sunday's Daily Telegraph article, in which Wilson publicly named the alleged 198 members of Football Federation Australia's banned list.

The radio host referred to the article as the 'shame files' on numerous occasions and had Wilson compare the numbers to other sports in Australia.

"The view from the FFA is we'll prove that we're doing something," Wilson said on the show.

"Some of the extent of their offences would make your eyes water and would seriously make you question whether or not you would ever go to any A-League game at all.

"What it shows is there's a much larger problem there and it's a cultural problem within the sport."

When Wilson wrapped up Jones asker her: "Is this like terrorism in Paris? The leaders have no guts?"

Wilson replied: "That's exactly right, Alan."

pretty bad from alan jones

Alan Jones Claim to fame www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj3jrpQzCe0
check out the link if you want to have a good laugh!!!!

ROFL

I did enjoy this: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-cr...most-violent-venues-list-20151127-gl9mh2.html

The SCG Trust really, really did ask for this if it is them that leaked the list :p

The Sydney Cricket Ground Trust has made the state's most violent venues list - the first time a sporting venue has been included since the scheme began in 2008.

The Trust is a surprise inclusion in the list of venues that have had between 12 and 18 violent incidents in the past financial year.

The Trust, which runs licensed venues at the SCG and neighbouring Allianz Stadium, recorded 12 violent incidents in the latest period.

There were four during NRL games, three during the cricket, two during rugby matches, two during AFL fixtures and one during soccer matches.

Not putting them under the Victory umbrella because the supporters on the lower levels were equally pissed at their younger fellow supporters, but the throwing of projectiles at the semi last year was an utter discgrace from the top level of Etihad.

That shit didn't get reported or punished both by security and Victory (who I won't have a dig at as they've been on the front foot)

While I agree with the sentiment aimed at News Corp, A-League still has a bit of work to do.

Not putting them under the Victory umbrella because the supporters on the lower levels were equally pissed at their younger fellow supporters, but the throwing of projectiles at the semi last year was an utter discgrace from the top level of Etihad.

That shit didn't get reported or punished both by security and Victory (who I won't have a dig at as they've been on the front foot)

While I agree with the sentiment aimed at News Corp, A-League still has a bit of work to do.
Yeah the semi this year was a bit of a farce. Bloody Victory fans.

Throwing shit happens at all major sporting events. It's just the Aussie get pissed and do something stupid mentality.

It happens at the cricket, AFL, NRL & A League.

Throwing shit happens at all major sporting events. It's just the Aussie get pissed and do something stupid mentality.

It happens at the cricket, AFL, NRL & A League.

No, this wasn't even Bay 13/Mexican Wave BS, it was constant little f***wittery for the entire 2nd half that didn't let up.

I've been to many events of different codes both inside and out of Victoria and that semi was something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how about this. NO ONE BRING FLARES TO THE GAME. DONT THROW SHIT ON THE PITCH.

No one is even trying to make an argument defending the very, very, very tiny minority of people who do that.

I've been to every Melbourne Victory home game this season - there were 2 flares at the Derby. Both of these emanated from the City supporter area. Which isn't significant in a dick-measuring sense - it's significant because the way the ticketing works, those "active" areas for the away supporters are not necessarily full of active members, pretty much anyone can buy a ticket there. So you end up with the w***er teenagers who think that's what football is.

Other than that, there was one flare at the Cup final, with the perpetrator promptly evicted, and no one heaping shit on Hatamoto in the way they usually do.

It's pathetic to try and vindicate bullshit like what Wilson gave us last week with "oh, but flares!" when over 100k people have attended Victory games this season, and a total 3 flares have been ripped.

No one is even trying to make an argument defending the very, very, very tiny minority of people who do that.

I've been to every Melbourne Victory home game this season - there were 2 flares at the Derby. Both of these emanated from the City supporter area. Which isn't significant in a dick-measuring sense - it's significant because the way the ticketing works, those "active" areas for the away supporters are not necessarily full of active members, pretty much anyone can buy a ticket there. So you end up with the ****** teenagers who think that's what football is.

Other than that, there was one flare at the Cup final, with the perpetrator promptly evicted, and no one heaping shit on Hatamoto in the way they usually do.

It's pathetic to try and vindicate bullshit like what Wilson gave us last week with "oh, but flares!" when over 100k people have attended Victory games this season, and a total 3 flares have been ripped.

i am not supporting what wilson said at all.

i am just making a point. i dont understand why flares are brought in. maybe im old.

i am not supporting what wilson said at all.

i am just making a point. i dont understand why flares are brought in. maybe im old.

No, I agree with you man, I don't get it either - but to observe it in person... and without wanting to get racial about it... it is invariably young 18-21 year old "kids" of Mediterranean descent who take them in and rip them. Very rarely is it the active fans turning up week in week out as Wilson tries to suggest.

In any case - as I suggested, I don't think anyone is defending the handful of people who take flares to the ground. They're defending the Wanderers fan who got a 3 year ban a few weeks ago because he was celebrating a goal and the fence in front of him broke, so he fell onto the ground (against Newcastle). They're defending the former Sydney capo who came 2 steps onto the field to celebrate a goal at the behest of the Sydney goal scorer. And they're riling against the notion that "offences as serious as streaking" (that's a paraphrase of what was in Wilson's article) are akin to terrorism, or are anywhere near as severe as what we see in the sports that Wilson defends.

Good article from Michael Lynch in the Age

I scanned the media this week vainly searching for images of the notorious hooligan Harry The Dog, leader of the fabled F-Troop, London club Millwall's hardcore fan group from the 1970s.

Couldn't see any, so I tried to find pictures of the Chelsea Headhunters from the Kings Road, another bunch of soccer-inspired nutters from a similar era. But they too were conspicuous by their absence.

Ditto my quest for illustrations of West Ham's Inter City Firm, a more frightening set of East End geezers you could not meet in the 1970s and 1980s.

No, I haven't got into a time machine but, judging by some of the screaming headlines and hysterical coverage around "soccer violence", it felt as if I may as well have. I feared some slippage in the space/time continuum had occurred, and these violent crews were on the rampage here in Australia, roaming the streets like ruck-seeking zombies, 30 years after their hooly heyday.

They were frightening. They were anti-social. They were hardcore. And thankfully they don't exist, certainly not to any extent, any more.

But news of their demise has not, it seems, reached NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione.

Sydney's top cop seems to believe that soccer fans the length and breadth of Australia are a marauding malevolent band intent on bringing fear and loathing wherever they may wander, a sort of hooly tribute act to their formidable forbears from the England of 40 years ago.

The behaviour of supporters has been all over the media this week after News Corp's Sunday Telegraph's "name and shame" file revealed the identities of 198 fans who had been banned from stadiums around the country for violent or other public order sins.

Nearly 200 fans in six or seven years – the period that Football Federation Australia says the orders cover – doesn't actually seem that much. About 30 a year.

Granted, a small kernel are real troublemakers who must be dealt with, but they are the kind of social misfits who would almost certainly cause problems somewhere else if they didn't have a soccer team to latch on to as cover or justification for their actions. No one begrudges them being banned, or the police dealing with them appropriately.

But it is beyond me how Scipione can say: "The last thing we want to get to in Australia is putting rival fans in cages like the UK model."

It sounds like so much of what we hear from Australian police officers when they deal with soccer, a code they seem neither to want to like nor want to understand, a state of affairs that leaves them culturally bereft when trying to police matches or supporter marches.

To suggest, as some have, that FFA is light on dealing with crowd issues is bonkers. The fact it has issued so many banning orders is evidence to the contrary: in fact, many believe it has been too draconian in its summary exclusions.

After meetings with fans this week, the governing body has indicated it is willing to enter into an appeals process to give people who believe their ban is unfair a chance to have it rescinded.

Many supporters think the sporting establishment and elements of the media collude in a conspiracy to stop soccer growing.

I think it's drawing a long bow to suggest there is some kind of organised conspiracy although, when one hears the rabid utterings of Sydney shock jock Alan Jones, you do sometimes wonder.

Surely he outdid even his usual ranting self this week when he compared some seat-busting, flare-lighting soccer fans with the Islamist murderers who killed 130 people in a wave of terrorist violence in Paris. If it wasn't so serious it would be comical.

Soccer's leadership acknowledges it has a small minority of unruly fans, and it is trying to deal with them. No one in the game condones destructive behaviour but to suggest it is cultural and systemic is off the mark. Its loud chanting, marches, noise and emotion are very different from the way fans do behave at other sports, but does that make it as dangerous as some suggest? I say not.

Some supporters plan to boycott games this weekend in protest, although I can't see how this will hurt anyone, least of all News Corp, which is ultimately the target of their venom.

The stupid posting of death threats to the journalist who wrote the story, Rebecca Wilson, does not in any way help to solve the problem.

It's a similar story with flares. They simply will not be tolerated at Australian games, so why give the haters some ammunition to use against you by lighting them?

If you know the critics will be looking for every broken seat or slight piece of damage when your team has played at a certain ground, give them no cause to complain.

Fans have a right to be angry at the publication of names and pictures of those banned from grounds, especially minors.

But they also have to take a wider responsibility to the game and not give the critics the cause to take aim.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...historical-20151126-gl9c6u.html#ixzz3sk6Zy91X

And more bullshit from Wilson, which is actually full of lies.

She also proves she doesn't watch the A-League - I doubt she'd be praising the Cove if she did!

THOSE soccer fans who took great pride in their vile and toxic abuse of me (and others) this week have spelt out even more clearly than ever just how truly bad elements of the soccer community within Australia remain.

Publishing a fact sheet which contained 198 names and faces of banned soccer hooligans meant I became a victim and accused perpetrator by the worst elements of fan groups who refuse to bow to normally acceptable standards of behaviour.

No blame is accepted by those in the file, the ones who have been handed up to 20 year bans for their behaviour at and around soccer games. No liability is accepted from within the Western Sydney Wanderers, who now want those banned fans to have the right of appeal.

Voices in the game such as Simon Hill are meant to have a responsible and informed attitude to events within their sport, proved their siege mentality overrides all common sense and decency.

They have behaved disgracefully, attacking me for being on the “periphery”, for having a bias against their sport. None of them acknowledges that the file of 198 banned fans reflects the dangerous element in soccer. It is a fact file, not a fantasy.

What I also know is that the 3000 or so email senders and thousands more anonymous social media abusers jumped on troubling chat rooms to find out what personal line of attack to take against me. These people, all of them, merely underline why there is a shame file in the first place.

story-fni0cx12-1227625927894

They are, as the police said, pack animals. Many of the emails have threatened to kill or castrate or maim me. All debased me. Not one was civil.

The new chairman, Steven Lowy, who I was told would not reply to my phone calls because this “was not a chairman’s issue” will most certainly be incapable of fixing it if he maintains that attitude.

No, while the FFA, the troublesome clubs and the people who work within the game continue to push their belief that publishing these files is somehow a sign of an irrational war against soccer, the problem will never be fixed.

The behaviour of some (and I will say there are more than a few, or that old favourite a “minority”), belies the efforts by those who are normal, decent fans to have their voice.

The Western Sydney Wanderers have a large number of fans who are good people. None of them sent me an email this week. They are being overshadowed by elements of an RBB intent on generating hatred and division.

For the club boss, sourcing the leak of the document has become the focal point, rather than the document itself. That there are more than 60 banned Wanderers fans was of no consequence to John Tsatsimas, who seemed to think the leaker deserved more punishment that any fan who’d thrown a flare or engaged in violence.

David Gallop felt compelled to issue a media release denying his organisation was the leak, to stem the ugliness coming from fans. It took him until Wednesday night to publicly urge the haters to stop threatening me.

How does the sport address its issues, underlined this week by a social media tribe who have no intention of complying with any rules of a civil society? Even this weekend, the RBB will stage walkouts aimed at having the bans lifted and the files kept private.

Sydney FC fans, for example, have taken to booing every time a flare is thrown onto the ground by a Wanderers’ RBB member. 20,000 booing fans are having an impact. They are saying we will not tolerate this at our game, at an event where we want to enjoy ourselves in a safe environment.

The fear factor has a huge impact on soccer bosses. Fearful of fan reactions, fearful of trying too hard to weed out the baddies, they cower at the feet of the radical element.

Steven Lowy has been in the chair for a week. His first priority must be to put denial aside to confront head on the issues that dog his sport. A-League crowds are down. Does placing stadiums in 24-hour lockdown before matches or a police presence that rivals the worst days of the EPL keep genuinely good people from attending matches? Apparently not, according to the FFA.

Lowy cannot afford to adopt the same siege mentality that says a banned fan file is not a reflection of something wrong in soccer.

If rugby league or AFL or cricket had a file like this, it would be front page news for months. Instead, soccer pretends the problem isn’t the file, or how many other fans are doing the wrong thing.

No, soccer just pulls up the moat up throws more poisonous barbs at those peripheral messengers.

A LETTER TO LOWY

To Steven Lowy: as the new chairman, have a look at AFL chairman, Mike Fitzpatrick and the NRL’s John Grant. These two men come under the pump relentlessly from their media, they are compelled to address issues of interest to their key stakeholders. They do NOT hide and they don’t use their corporate affairs managers to do their bidding. They return phone calls. They face the music. I’m not sure how many local derbies the Lowy family attend but they should see first hand the rabid contingent the sport allows to attend games.

To the “Soccer Media”: For whatever reason, yours is the only sport where you must work on soccer seven days a week to qualify for a comment or opinion. You must not be an “outsider” or “on the periphery”; you must not criticise your sport, you must adopt an “us and them” mentality. You must have no ability to see a common sense argument when it hits you in the face.

COMMON SENSE PREVAILS

Common sense prevailed in the inking of the television agreement. After the loud noises made by the Nine Network when Dave Smith announced his $925 million deal, powerful forces within News Corp, Nine and the NRL put their heads together to see the Nine deal reduced by $300 million and the pay television agreement going back up to a value which will yield a good return for the 16 NRL clubs. Now the big moment of 2016 will be whether the 16 clubs have the power or the guts to take it up to John Grant and get what is rightfully theirs. They make lots of noise but when push comes to shove, they are yet to flex their collective muscle. Grant deserves to be pushed to the brink. One look at executive salaries within the NRL should have the club bosses sharpening their knives ready for battle.

Last edited:
No, I agree with you man, I don't get it either - but to observe it in person... and without wanting to get racial about it... it is invariably young 18-21 year old "kids" of Mediterranean descent who take them in and rip them. Very rarely is it the active fans turning up week in week out as Wilson tries to suggest.

In any case - as I suggested, I don't think anyone is defending the handful of people who take flares to the ground. They're defending the Wanderers fan who got a 3 year ban a few weeks ago because he was celebrating a goal and the fence in front of him broke, so he fell onto the ground (against Newcastle). They're defending the former Sydney capo who came 2 steps onto the field to celebrate a goal at the behest of the Sydney goal scorer. And they're riling against the notion that "offences as serious as streaking" (that's a paraphrase of what was in Wilson's article) are akin to terrorism, or are anywhere near as severe as what we see in the sports that Wilson defends.

it seems we agree together!

Remove this Banner Ad

Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Back