Any News on James Turner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
What’s the latest with our rookie listed player James Turner?

Listed at 81kg’s, for Turner to make it at AFL level he’ll need to add at least another 10-15 kg’s. Whenever I’ve seen him he’s been out bodied far too easily in 1-on-1 contests. And he even seems to be pushed aside by much smaller opponents which is a worry.

Earlier in the season he looked out of his depth at SANFL level but he played a few reasonably solid games late in the year and on one occasion he was listed in the best players. He did play very well in the reserves and he racked up some huge possession counts which for a defender was encouraging.

But to me he doesn’t appear overly quick, and he seems to lumber along. He’s just so thin and it’s hard to really measure his future because of his slight frame.

IMO he doesn’t stand a chance of being upgraded, and would be unlikely to be re-rookied.

Nah, he's done.

Bring back Brad Sugars :thumbsu:

and can we PLEASE draft Kirkby !!!!
Sugars! Yes! I saw his game last week and I was impressed. Today he was even better.

From all reports there were never any doubts over his talent, just his attitude. And from what I’ve seen the talent is most certainly there. Very good in 1-on-1 situations, uses the body well, has sound skills and good pace.

Funny how everyone thought we cleaned up in the rookie draft last year and yet I personally don’t think any will make it. Archard is already gone, Turner looks set to be released, Gallman might be re-rookied and after a good start McIntyre looks a long way off.

But yes, Kirkby all the way!

Sugars and Elliott have both proven themselves this year and are only going to get better. Both playing solid senior footy, worth another go this year (or someone else will snap them up)

Just on Sugars and Elliott ....... a handy SANFL player does not neccessarily equate to a good AFL player.

The lift in pace and pressure affects some players ability to function as well at the greater intensity .....pace, skills & decision making under pressure, and bigger bodies....

I've seen nothing in Sugars or Elliot that suggests they're potentially AFL players?

how much have you watched them this season? both playing better at higher level. decision making good under pressure. Elliott's head is over the ball most of the game and he's a ball magnet with quick hands. Sugars is composed and showing maturity on and off field. neither fussed by "bigger bodies".

if you look at most young drafties their bodies are nowhere near ready. ie douglas, vince, pfeiffer ect ect thats up to the respective clubs to work on.
only have to look at old photos of burton, roo, bode and "fatty" Macca. :)

how much have you watched them this season? both playing better at higher level. decision making good under pressure. Elliott's head is over the ball most of the game and he's a ball magnet with quick hands. Sugars is composed and showing maturity on and off field. neither fussed by "bigger bodies".

if you look at most young drafties their bodies are nowhere near ready. ie douglas, vince, pfeiffer ect ect thats up to the respective clubs to work on.
only have to look at old photos of burton, roo, bode and "fatty" Macca. :)

Seen both 3 or 4 times and IMO will develop into handy SANFL players ....but that doesn't neccessarily equate to AFL.

There is just nothing special about either one .......Poplyzia on the other hand always had that touch of class that seperates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's the consensus re rookies? For mine, upgrade Gallman only. McIntyre looks very average and i haven't seen Turner but doesn't sound overly promising

Reckon they will re-rookie Gallman and Mcintyre.

Turner is best as a forward but they have played him as a defender most of the year.
A master plan to develop him???? ......maybe but he'll be close to gone as IMO the club would want at least 2-3 rookie spots.

McIntyre is not 'very average', that smacks of somebody who has never seen him play. He hasn't had a great end to the year but he has done his job up forward for the ***** in the past fortnight. It wasn't that long ago he was close to making his AFL debut, unfortunately he got injured the same weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Any News on James Turner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back