Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people here are highly practiced - if not - professional whingers and bitchers.
They are never satisfied so ignore them.

There's a big difference between bitching and whinging and critical analysis. That's going over a few heads I reckon.

I know Chugg is against it because of his position, but does 't take away that he has been one of the most impressive. If they could move Noble or Quaynor up the ground, they could fit him in. But if Howe doesn't play around 1... could he take that position? Even though you'd think Madgen would be given first use. But even with Madgen, he has been playing more in the wing lately.

I know Chugg is against it because of his position, but does 't take away that he has been one of the most impressive. If they could move Noble or Quaynor up the ground, they could fit him in. But if Howe doesn't play around 1... could he take that position? Even though you'd think Madgen would be given first use. But even with Madgen, he has been playing more in the wing lately.
Is Chugg tall enough to hold down a key defensive position like Howe's? I haven't researched it properly, but I thought he was a mid-size runner type?

Is Chugg tall enough to hold down a key defensive position like Howe's? I haven't researched it properly, but I thought he was a mid-size runner type?
Yeah. Mid-sized (180cm, 80kg), but he is quick and accumilates a lot of the ball. So not Howe's role then.

There is a point when critical analysis becomes pure venom - too often when that line is crossed it is ignored on this site.

That hasn't happened in this thread. I've found the discussion about Henry really interesting. For me, if he's to make it as a medium forward it will be down to work rate, defensive application and aggression. He has the tricks but you need more as a medium forward in the AFL. I'll watch with interest how he develops those parts of his game, because I reckon that'll determine his success.

Yeah. Mid-sized (180cm, 80kg), but he is quick and accumilates a lot of the ball. So not Howe's role then.
When cloke went down in - was it 2011? for about 2 months we went with a smaller line and smashed the opposition all over the place.
Height is important but it isn't unbeatable.

That hasn't happened in this thread. I've found the discussion about Henry really interesting. For me, if he's to make it as a medium forward it will be down to work rate, defensive application and aggression. He has the tricks but you need more as a medium forward in the AFL. I'll watch with interest how he develops those parts of his game, because I reckon that'll determine his success.
Hasn't happened YET. As for Henry the best example of hard work from a medium forward we have has to be Jamie - get them together and have Jamie mentor him.

I think if Howe misses Madgen is a lock. We need at least one medium size defender to support our keys. If Howes down and Chuggs in, that's 2 KPD and 5 small defenders. Not an ideal balance.

Last edited:
Jen2310 how do you see our medium defensive depth. It's a time of transition on the list with Shaz and Langdon gone. It seems like the hierarchy is Howe, Madgen then Wilson. I'd say Murphy too but is he spending much time there at training? Am I missing anyone?

Jen2310 how do you see our medium defensive depth. It's a time of transition on the list with Shaz and Langdon gone. It seems like the hierarchy is Howe, Madgen then Wilson. I'd say Murphy too but is he spending much time there at training? Am I missing anyone?
Its pretty well stocked, I tink. Wilson has been doing well down back too. Murphy has been playing on thw wing, but if needed, can play down back. Poulter has been playing down back (plus middle/wing).

Its pretty well stocked, I tink. Wilson has been doing well down back too. Murphy has been playing on thw wing, but if needed, can play down back. Poulter has been playing down back (plus middle/wing).

I like Murphy on the wing. He has the tank and would be weapon drifting forward and back. He'd need to show he can win enough footy.

Poulter in defence is a surprise. Sounds a bit like throwing guys around to have numbers at training for the lines to me. Or do you reckon they're actually thinking of playing him there? They did something similar with Tyler Brown early on I think.

I like Murphy on the wing. He has the tank and would be weapon drifting forward and back. He'd need to show he can win enough footy.

Poulter in defence is a surprise. Sounds a bit like throwing guys around to have numbers at training for the lines to me. Or do you reckon they're actually thinking of playing him there? They did something similar with Tyler Brown early on I think.
I don't mind it. I think it helps especially kids, read the ball at AFL level. Clealry he will eventually go into the midfield. Like Reef playing forward with stints in the midfield. We know he is destined in the midfield eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When cloke went down in - was it 2011? for about 2 months we went with a smaller line and smashed the opposition all over the place.
Height is important but it isn't unbeatable.

Must be thinking of someone else. Between 2007-2014 Cloke played between 20-25 games each season. Years we were flying 2010-2012 he played 24,25,25 games. Missed 2 games in 2010 and played every game 2011-12.

Noone really took over Howe's role last year. We went without a medium interceptor. Madgen locked down - maybe Moore peeled off more?

Last edited:
Where's Noble been playing in the training scratch matches?

Must be thinking of someone else. Between 2007-2014 Cloke played between 20-25 games each season. Years we were flying 2010-2012 he played 24,25,25 games. Missed 2 games in 2010 and played every game 2011-12.

I was about to check those stats too! Clokey was one of the most durable and robust players we’ve had in the modern era. I can hardly recall him getting injured. Loved the big fella.

Keane possibly?

What's Noble doing at training re.. still running around in circles trying to figure things out?
Gimpy. Have you been running around in circles and have you figured it out? Welcome back

Do greats run around in circles?

Gimpy. Have you been running around in circles and have you figured it out? Welcome back

Do greats run around in circles?

No.. greats swim around the bay here in Mt Martha re.. unlike the ocram.. trying to navigate his way around his secluded holiday home in blaigowrie.. thk God for them ****en $3 bunnings solar lights eh Oc.. a true great re..

I think if Howe misses Madgen is a lock. We need at least one medium size defender to support our keys. If Howes down and Chuggs in, that's 2 KPD and 5 small defenders. Not an ideal balance.

I think there's more versatility in the defensive group than that. Howe is 190cm, as is Crisp, Maynard is 189. It's Howe's aerial ability that you lose. If Madge is being groomed for a wing then you still have coverage by simply rotating him with IQ or Noble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back