Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you read the last 5-10 pages?

It’s rare that the 185-190cm general forwards out of the underage system go on to do much. Most guys that do well in that role enter the system with the expectation they’re mids long term (JDG, Caddy, Greene and Zurhaar). I believe the reason is they get by on natural talent similar to a Boyd dominating because of his size. At the next level talent isn’t a trick and Henry didn’t get his 2nd U18 year when those types can come back to the pack which is why they don’t often get draft 1st round.

All the reports are along the lines of “he was quiet, but did some nice things when he got it” or “he has a touch of class about him” which is all very subjective and sounds like what we hear about WHE. Macrae is busy. McMahon is throwing himself at it as KPF. Poulter and McInnes have these frames that you know will fill out. I’m not getting that sense yet that Henry has that little something something that will see him standing on a premiership Dias one day. A hard statement not based on vibes is that I’m going to reserve judgment for a while yet, unlike Macrae, and the landscape will change once more than a few of us have eyeballed his game.

I’ll add to my first post though and reiterate that I bloody hope my vibes are wrong and we have the next Rozee on our hands.

I think your vibe needs a polish, because people who actually have a clue have nothing but big wraps on him.

Interesting reading HS online article on young Rookies SF coach today, most clubs had 4-5 young players mentioned where Pies had up to nine players discussed.

Just on Henry, they mentioned he is a Sicily type marking forward/defender, I’m a bit more bullish on him than some here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm with you, l think Henry will be a beauty. I think he along with, McCrae and McMahon, will be the pick of our draft selections.
I really also like the reports on Chugg and Ginnivan, both who could be surprisingly good this year.

With both Wright and Hine out there does sound like he got the Good News then.

See IF Offically Announced next week

Doesn't have to be announced until March.

I think your vibe needs a polish, because people who actually have a clue have nothing but big wraps on him.
People had big wraps on WHE when he was drafted too, he went at pick 4 after all...

I don’t know why people are getting worked up about Sco’s posts, none of what he’s said is particularly controversial, and it’s always come with the caveat of him reserving his real judgement until we see more of the kid.

People had big wraps on WHE when he was drafted too, he went at pick 4 after all...

I don’t know why people are getting worked up about Sco’s posts, none of what he’s said is particularly controversial, and it’s always come with the caveat of him reserving his real judgement until we see more of the kid.

It's very odd isn't it? Maybe people have their guards up after the previous Callum Brown discussion, which did seem a little hateful. Sco is one of the best posters on this board and I always enjoy his insights and analysis. Hopefully he isn't discouraged from posting because some people don't want to hear any negative appraisals about a player.

It's very odd isn't it? Maybe people have their guards up after the previous Callum Brown discussion, which did seem a little hateful. Sco is one of the best posters on this board and I always enjoy his insights and analysis. Hopefully he isn't discouraged from posting because some people don't want to hear any negative appraisals about a player.
In fairness, it wasn't an appraisal at all, it was based on a hunch without not even having seen him play or have any real knowledge about the poor kid, how about a bit of positiveness about our future going forward, not a good start when you kick our first pick, nothing against Scodog, he;'s alright

Fair enough, but I think you'll find that Henry is a very different player to WHE, and yes, none of us will know until the season is well and truly under way

In fairness, it wasn't an appraisal at all, it was based on a hunch without not even having seen him play or have any real knowledge about the poor kid, how about a bit of positiveness about our future going forward, not a good start when you kick our first pick, nothing against Scodog, he;'s alright

In his initial post he also said he thought Macrae would have been a top 5 pick if it wasn't for covid, which is pretty positive. Early signs are that we have done quite well in this draft, looking forward to seeing these kids develop.

Fair enough, but I think you'll find that Henry is a very different player to WHE, and yes, none of us will know until the season is well and truly under way
Just to add. I'm not a fan of WHE, but he's going to be a 150 game player - maybe more. For pick 16, WHE would be a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his initial post he also said he thought Macrae would have been a top 5 pick if it wasn't for covid, which is pretty positive. Early signs are that we have done quite well in this draft, looking forward to seeing these kids develop.
That's better, don't worry, I've had my share of bagging player's etc. but just trying to start the year on a positive note, with a new Pres etc, it could turn this club right around

He might well be a very different player, but if I’m going to go by comparisons to other players for a low possession winning medium forward who’s strong in the air, WHE is a more realistic comparison than James Hird, whom others have likened him to, despite him having little to no time in the middle of the ground, and not having shown even a fraction of Hirds ability to accumulate the ball.

We all hope the kid becomes a jet, but I think those of us who are a bit wary of taking those dynamic medium forward types that don’t get huge amounts of the ball early in the draft, have a right to be so.

It’s all down to how quickly we move the ball and particularly into the forward line.
In 2018 we played quick, daring footy. Didn’t always come off, but obviously more often than not it did. Only way you can have a forward line where all but 1 player averaged just under 2 goals a game.

I still think we lost the grand final because we stopped playing our natural game in the second half.

2019/2020 we decided to play with slow movement and plenty of possession. Forwards couldn’t kick a score.

So, it all starts further up the field and guys like WHE will be far more effective if only we get the ball in quickly.

I probably haven't got a clue, but I have seen him at training 10-12 times. As I have said previously, what he does he does very well but as with many forwards he does not get a lot of it. That does not mean he won't make it, and he might become an excellent player, but on exposed form, he is a bit like WHE with a better defensive side.
Everything that Scodog and Apex36 have said is a fair summary of him, both have said they hope he makes it, as do I. But, at the moment, I feel Henry's opportunities will depend on the form of others. Having said that, there are opportunities for all the recruits to push for selections, all it takes is good form in the next few weeks.

I like this quote from Hine when summarising our draft picks

“Hopeful that we’ve brought a spread of players that have got that real hunger and real character to be able to attack the program and we’ve very confident of that.”

‘Real hunger’ and ‘character’...... that’s exactly what I want to hear. Maybe we learnt our lesson 😊

It’s all down to how quickly we move the ball and particularly into the forward line.
In 2018 we played quick, daring footy. Didn’t always come off, but obviously more often than not it did. Only way you can have a forward line where all but 1 player averaged just under 2 goals a game.

I still think we lost the grand final because we stopped playing our natural game in the second half.

2019/2020 we decided to play with slow movement and plenty of possession. Forwards couldn’t kick a score.

So, it all starts further up the field and guys like WHE will be far more effective if only we get the ball in quickly.
Been watching some 2019 games, and we had no issue scoring. 7 times we scored over 100. 9 times we scored 70 points or more. Only 4 times we scored less than 70 points.

I thought we had a good balance. 2020 was where it went downhill.

He’s a top 5 pick with the benefit of 2020 under his belt at NAB league level, IMO. Unfortunately I don’t have the same vibes with Henry his unobtrusiveness is feeling real WHE/ Egan to me. Bloody hope I’m wrong of course.
Ahhh, the vibe. The number of players we were sure would make it, but didn't, is enormous.

Who's to say what will happen. The only certainty is death, taxes and being abused on an opinion based website for having an opinion.

Been watching some 2019 games, and we had no issue scoring. 7 times we scored over 100. 9 times we scored 70 points or more. Only 4 times we scored less than 70 points.

I thought we had a good balance. 2020 was where it went downhill.

yeah I think 2019 was odd in that we commenced the season well but seemed to have lost our way after the bye (from memory), and struggled on the scorebaord

yeah I think 2019 was odd in that we commenced the season well but seemed to have lost our way after the bye (from memory), and struggled on the scorebaord
Yeah, toward the end we struggled. Got lucky where we played some lower teams to gain some comfidence back. But had some form issues in the backhalf. But it was clearly nothing as bad as 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back