Society/Culture Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the things you say the Chinese didn't do are very narrowly defined.

And you're not talking about white Europeans there, you're talking about Jews.

I don't know what this means. Can you help me to understand it?

Last edited:
There's more exposure to different races in Australia than most other countries. You're going to get a higher level of dickhead/outliers as a result.

It could be suggested that the variety of races in a country is the best indicator of whether or not that country is truly racist or not. There's a difference between "I don't like the black family from down the street because I don't understand their culture" vs. institutionalized racism.

As much shit as both America and Australia receive for our supposed levels of racism, the fact is that both countries do a better job of giving minorities a voice in society, government, etc. than many of the supposedly "very tolerant" countries out there. Yes, we both have outspoken bigots who get plenty of media, but few countries have allowed minorities to advance in politics, science, academics, business, etc. quite like Australia and America.

It could be suggested that the variety of races in a country is the best indicator of whether or not that country is truly racist or not. There's a difference between "I don't like the black family from down the street because I don't understand their culture" vs. institutionalized racism.

As much shit as both America and Australia receive for our supposed levels of racism, the fact is that both countries do a better job of giving minorities a voice in society, government, etc. than many of the supposedly "very tolerant" countries out there. Yes, we both have outspoken bigots who get plenty of media, but few countries have allowed minorities to advance in politics, science, academics, business, etc. quite like Australia and America.

I see your point. However I'm not entirely sure successful anti-discrimination legislation translates to a welcoming society. That's not to say that it's a fault of the population but moreso Australia needing to import foreign talent and nurture the development of our domestic sectors regardless of race. There's certainly no job shortage or lack of skilled labour available, but our workforce is much more diverse because we simply don't have enough people to be discriminatory.

I've never experienced really strong racism even though i have attended a white majority high school. There would always be casual racist comments like curry muncher, some taxi driver or 7/11 related comments but it never really bothered me. I would also say casual racist comments about Australians as a reply but it didn't seem to bother them either. Is casual racism acceptable within australian society??? i always thought that apart from the minority that racism in australia wasn't that severe more just casual stuff that people say to one another in an argument or banter, like at sporting events i.e. the cricket. In Australia, I have rarely seen people hating one particular race because of their skin color/culture/language etc

People have got to find better things to do with their sunny Saturday afternoons.
I find it ironic, that you spent time on your sunny Saturday to read about it, and post about it twice...

I do find it interesting, that both times, you have tried to put the negative slant on the anti-fascist position.
But perhaps it's just my bias against Nazi views, that make me think less of the Nazi idealists.

I find it ironic, that you spent time on your sunny Saturday to read about it, and post about it twice...

I do find it interesting, that both times, you have tried to put the negative slant on the anti-fascist position.
But perhaps it's just my bias against Nazi views, that make me think less of the Nazi idealists.
I used to be racist....

...then, I grew out it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't sunny when I got on the computer.

I've got enough disdain to share around.

On the whole, aussies don't have it tough enough for racism to have much bite.

but bear in mind a good percentage of residents were born overseas, so those hatreds are bound to be brought here. Italians v Greeks for example.

by the same token, I believe most immigrants just want to get on with life.

*Theres a huge asterisk in regards to the treatment of indigenous australians. It's fairly obvious

On the whole, aussies don't have it tough enough for racism to have much bite.

but bear in mind a good percentage of residents were born overseas, so those hatreds are bound to be brought here. Italians v Greeks for example.

by the same token, I believe most immigrants just want to get on with life.

*Theres a huge asterisk in regards to the treatment of indigenous australians. It's fairly obvious

Rewind a few years and see how Protestants and Catholics got on

Go team Australia

96703.jpg

really / they used to burn each other at the stake ?

whos doing that?

you carrying on about the romans again?

think you will find australia was pretty good at sectarianism

Racism is such a crude word. Racism is basically misdirected anger or resentment and an old way of thinking.

We live in a society that loves to generalise and label everything as we are only human (I just did it in my first line) and our human brains are pre-disposed to do this. It could all boil down to the fact of "do you respect that person as an individual?" or do you see them as an object or your anger and resentment?

Each person from each culture are raised to love their own culture. Some people do not accept others culture's or some do. Government knew back in the 70's & 80's that this was going to be a big thing in years to come with the multiculturalism back then. Since I think it has grown to something not even they could of envisioned.

As an Indigenous guy, I have found that deep down people are not racist. I have been friends with people who have had very racists parents/family but I have generally found that it is a very outdated and archaic way of thinking and that, that way of thinking has become more of a twisted and uneducated way to joke.

Australia PAST was very racist. The Australia that we live in now is not racist. But it is very multi-cultural with lots of different socio-economic structures. Most of those people don't really know how to interact with each other whether they are white, black, yellow, or whatever. Unless they have gone to school with each other. But than thats where socio-economic factors come into play.

Food for thought. In the 1400's - 1700's the UK was very racist within their own societies based on wealth and other things. Back then, if you had a particular type of accent, that determined the kind of jobs, that were available to you.

The notion that Australians are racist comes from our apathy towards race conflict and race narrative which itself is born of isolation and a strong cultural hegemony, but those who espouse race conflict equate this with entrenched racial prejudice when it's actually blind and this empathy comes from social cohesion between different ethnic groups.

Insert rhetoric about normative racial bias here if you please. But such biases are culturally subjective and standards applied differentially.

For instance French exceptionalism by its nature imposes French culture, language and identity onto all its citizens as a function of its nationalism. You're simply French. Such a system if imposed in an Anglo nation would be see as an overt act of racism. Which is why the English perhaps ironically see the French as highly racist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back