Are the Dogs over rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to watch the GF again but from what I can remember, I didn't have any problem with the umpiring. I actually thought the umpiring was excellent and they let alot go.

It sucks for Sydney that Hanners and Franklin got injured so early on in the game though. That obviously made a difference.

I look forward to the Pies facing the Dogs this year. We had maybe the best game of 2016 late last year that came right down to the last minute. Only this time we both won't have so many injuries......hopefully!
My dad, another Collingwood supporter, said the exact same thing as you about the grand final's umpiring, straight after the game.

I don't think even the most one eyed dogs supporters would deny that they had the the perfect storm coming into September
Players return from injury, get the week bye which may have caused the qualifying final winners to be under done in week 3 and a decent run with the umpires on grand final day as shown by the count

However these are all just luck, luck that a team that played as well as it did in September deserved
I'd like to know the premeriship team that didn't get any luck, that's why their premiers because things went right at the right time of the year

I don't think even the most one eyed dogs supporters would deny that they had the the perfect storm coming into September
Players return from injury, get the week bye which may have caused the qualifying final winners to be under done in week 3 and a decent run with the umpires on grand final day as shown by the count

However these are all just luck, luck that a team that played as well as it did in September deserved
I'd like to know the premeriship team that didn't get any luck, that's why their premiers because things went right at the right time of the year
Agree all premiers need luck, but not your examples. The perfect storm you mention was getting players back from injury (so presumably is offset by the bad luck of them being injured in the first place) to play in Perth after Fitz at Hawks kicked a goal from the centresquare to condemn the Freo game to a dead rubber and having to play again in Perth and get the shortest share of the bye of all teams. Hardly 'lucky'.

If I listed examples of Dogs luck I'd say none really for the WCE game; in the Hawks game it was getting to play them and not Cats (some Dogs supporters would disagree that we'd beat the Cats having broken a hoodoo the week before but I'm glad we didn't have to find out); Breust missing a goal that would've given a 5 goal lead and maybe broken us; GWS missing Steve J (again some Dogs supporters may disagree but I think he would've been at least 1 goal better than Palmer); GF was Swans making hindsight mistake of selecting injured players and then Buddy being injured in play (Dogs supporters may disagree with this as well in that he played out game and we had a good defence but the Q4 goal he kicked says they were unlucky he wasn't more available during the game).

Last edited:
I just love how people how clearly have no idea about football think that winning the free kick count equates to getting a easy ride.

By this logic every team that wins the free kick count in every game should be the winner.

Hawks got nearly double the frees the swans did in the 2012 gf and how did that help them?

Simple minds need simple excuses

Watching PF replay...geez GWS chokes in the last. Thought we were done when 2 goals down.
"The league has reviewed the umpiring from the Grand Final and found that there were three to four decisions that were incorrect that went against the Sydney Swans."

Oh yeah - Bradbury

This leaves 2004 Port and 2010 Pies.

Surely someone can put in something to discredit those flags

2004 - Saints would have beaten Port in the prelim if supporters hadn't stopped the game when Gehrig kicked his ton and if stupid Guerra hadn't stuffed up in the goal square in the dying seconds

2010 - Pies were on "the gear" and were lucky it didn't go to extra time 'cos if it did, Saints were home. And "that bounce".

How unlucky are the poor old Sainters :(

2004 - Saints would have beaten Port in the prelim if supporters hadn't stopped the game when Gehrig kicked his ton and if stupid Guerra hadn't stuffed up in the goal square in the dying seconds

2010 - Pies were on "the gear" and were lucky it didn't go to extra time 'cos if it did, Saints were home. And "that bounce".

How unlucky are the poor old Sainters :(

Saints have been unlucky. I would say most dogs fans were barracking for the Saints on those days.
Dogs got a bit of luck but so does every premiership team. It would be great to allow us to enjoy our flag, like you will enjoy yours when that day comes. IF the dogs can win, so can any team.

"The league has reviewed the umpiring from the Grand Final and found that there were three to four decisions that were incorrect that went against the Sydney Swans."
Three decisions were wrong that went against the Swans in the grand final? That's an outrage!! Hand back the premiership cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just love how people how clearly have no idea about football think that winning the free kick count equates to getting a easy ride.

By this logic every team that wins the free kick count in every game should be the winner.

Hawks got nearly double the frees the swans did in the 2012 gf and how did that help them?

Simple minds need simple excuses
Why are Dogs supporters so adamant in trying to convince themselves, and everyone else, that the they didn't get the rub of the green gf day. They clearly did, and it's ok.

It doesn't take away from their amazing month of footy and their mighty achievement and gives followers of clubs like mine renewed hope.

Dogs won the cup. No one can ever take it away from you. If it makes you feel better believing it, by all means knock yourselves out. The footy public who watched the game aren't stupid. It's alright to have a bit of luck.

It may surprise you but pretty much everyone was happy for the Dogs. Even me.

So then it would need to be four, AND the Swans to score a goal from every one of those four free kicks to actually overcome the final 22-point margin at the final siren. Otherwise it really wouldn't matter anyway.

Why are Dogs supporters so adamant in trying to convince themselves, and everyone else, that the they didn't get the rub of the green gf day. They clearly did, and it's ok.

It doesn't take away from their amazing month of footy and their mighty achievement and gives followers of clubs like mine renewed hope.

Dogs won the cup. No one can ever take it away from you. If it makes you feel better believing it, by all means knock yourselves out. The footy public who watched the game aren't stupid. It's alright to have a bit of luck.

Most Bulldogs supporters couldn't care less about the umpiring, the conspiracy theories, or any other crackpot explanations about why we won. We now have our first Premiership in 61 years and nothing anyone else thinks will take that away from us.

So then it would need to be four, AND the Swans to score a goal from every one of those four free kicks to actually overcome the final 22-point margin at the final siren. Otherwise it really wouldn't matter anyway.
Incorrect. incorrect penalties can result in 12 point swing.

Because so many people on here suggest we ONLY won due to the bye and free kicks.

Sorry but I've watched a lot of footy and the team that's is first to the ball generally wins the free kick count.

People forget the bye did allow us to bring back some players but those blokes hadn't played any footy for several weeks.

I the end we really don't care how we done it but we are sick of so many saying we only won due to luck and free kicks and then expected us to be happy with that.

The reality is this

We smacked the Eagles
We smacked the Hawks
We won a 50/50 game against that team
And if Kennedy wasn't playing we beat the swans by ten goals.

Free kick or luck doesn't change any of that and only people who have no idea continue to say it does

Because so many people on here suggest we ONLY won due to the bye and free kicks.

Sorry but I've watched a lot of footy and the team that's is first to the ball generally wins the free kick count.

People forget the bye did allow us to bring back some players but those blokes hadn't played any footy for several weeks.

I the end we really don't care how we done it but we are sick of so many saying we only won due to luck and free kicks and then expected us to be happy with that.

The reality is this

We smacked the Eagles
We smacked the Hawks
We won a 50/50 game against that team
And if Kennedy wasn't playing we beat the swans by ten goals.

Free kick or luck doesn't change any of that and only people who have no idea continue to say it does

image.jpg

Incorrect. incorrect penalties can result in 12 point swing.
Well the only obvious 'missed' free kick that wasn't actually technically a free kick was the Hannebery free kick which resulted in an intercept mark to Rampe anyway. So the Dogs did not score from that incident and the Swans ended up with possession anyway.

You were very lucky then, to win by a goal

It was actually nice for a change to have that luck at the right time.. Too many times in the past I've seen the tables turn on us in preliminary finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back