Are Victorians holding football back?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just so frustrating.

The oft-quoted figure is that a Port home matchday provides an average $400k in revenue to the SANFL.

That's almost entirely profit, given Port pays down all stadium expenses (from the utilities, to SAPOL, to WESLO security, to the umpires and the SANFL's own redcoats). Hence if we don't make the breakeven figure, approximated at the revenue generated from 28000-30000 attendees, we write the SANFL a cheque anyway.

Then we get kicked the nuts like above for daring to question why we should pour all that money into the SANFL's coffers.

Geelong average something like 24000 down at Kardinia Park and make millions.

You don't need to tell me about crappy stadium deals.

Anyway, as far as I understand, the AFL is going in to bat for you in a similar way they did for us at Etihad no?

Port will be alright as long as the AFL realises IT has to manage the situation there, not let the SANFL run it.

Well said SLF - I was going to post that myself too, but I reckon you said it all there at least as well as I could mate :thumbsu:

Cheers mate. For all the Bay13 slagging, I do reckon Melbourne will be very good come a few years time, as will North.

I have eveery expectation we'll see the last quarter of a tight Grand Final begin with Ziebell and Cunnington in the centre square along with Scully and Trengove throwing heart and soul into the contest.

The ignorance of the reality of the footy economic situation really does astound me.

I think he meant that the Crows are not held back anymore than West Coast in what goes back to their licence holders.

I read only recently that the Crows' matchday revenues from AAMI are still much less (we're talking millions) than WCE's at Subiaco despite averaging higher crowd numbers.

It's to do with the difference in agreements. The WA clubs pay a set annual rent and take almost all profits from Subiaco on matchdays, whereas the SA clubs have a different 'breakeven' system where they get so much in the dollar beyond a certain attendance point.

I would eventually like to see 2 divisions of 10 teams.

10 vics = 18 rounds. Draft only Vics.

10 teams for the remainder of the country = 18 rounds.

4 prelims.
2 GF's

1 super dooper GF.

Cheers mate. For all the Bay13 slagging, I do reckon Melbourne will be very good come a few years time, as will North.

I have every expectation we'll see the last quarter of a tight Grand Final begin with Ziebell and Cunnington in the centre square along with Scully and Trengove throwing heart and soul into the contest.

And Sylvia, Jonah and Beamer getting stuck in too of course ;)

It'll definitely be a fair measure of justice for both our clubs when we get there mate, that's for sure :)

Port will be alright as long as the AFL realises IT has to manage the situation there, not let the SANFL run it.

Here's the rub.

Upon the dust from the 1990 bids settling the AFL and SANFL signed an agreement whereby the AFL would effectively butt out of South Australia and let the SANFL run football in this state as it sees fit.

Hence Demetriou's power is extremely limited in all things Adelaide, the Adelaide Oval debate, how the SANFL administers its sublicences and the like.

It's why the SANFL relies so heavily on the Crows and Power for revenue as it does not get subsidised by the AFL proper anywhere near as heavily as the feeder leagues in other states. To accept a greater share of this money it would have to cede its autonomy.

Short of a revolution from within (say, Bucky Cunningham replacing Leigh Whicker), nothing will change beyond mere cosmetics here and there.

And runs and bleeds the two clubs like cashcows to achieve their stated goal of being the second best football league on the planet [wow!].

The Crows manage ok, they could be managing great.

I'm happy with the way things are currently going.
If we didn't 'bite off more than we could chew' in 1990 you and the SANFL wouldn't have your beloved Crows/cashcow.

Funny how we never get a thankyou card for that.
Thanks for stabbing your fellow South Australians in the back and stuffing up a perfectly good competition for your own self interest. Thanks for sending my Club into a second tier competition. F*ck you you selfish prick. If you read back through this thread, you will see I was against the formation of the Crows. And I have no sympathy for all those greedy clubs who put there interest ahead of the game as a whole and are now struggling.
Our membership has been a rather static 32000-35000 odd since day dot. It's getting them to rock up that's the issue - a reality the Crows have also faced in recent years.

85% of the SA football public that turned their backs on their suburban tribal allegiances to hop aboard the broadbased state bandwagon - a captive conglomerate of fans who had SOO every other week for 6 full seasons before Port got its go.
And who's fault is that? Read back through what I have already posted... If your club was not so deceitful and greedy, you may have been able to work out a better deal for SA footy, but your club, like the Victorian clubs only cared about self presevation and now you are struggling, ha!

Getting 28300 to a decrepit stadium with 4 of 10 gates locked and making a $10000 matchday loss (vs. Essendon, R1 2009) is our poor management?
Another myth, do you really think that moving to Adelaide Oval is the solution? The problem is people are quite happy watching footy at home on their big screen TV in the comfort of there living rooms. Getting up of your arse is to much effort, specially for Port supporters it would seem.

I'm happy with the way things are currently going.

You'll find your administration aren't.

Thanks for stabbing your fellow South Australians in the back and stuffing up a perfectly good competition for your own self interest. Thanks for sending my Club into a second tier competition. F*ck you you selfish prick. If you read back through this thread, you will see I was against the formation of the Crows. And I have no sympathy for all those greedy clubs who put there interest ahead of the game as a whole and are now struggling.

Spoken like a typical deluded Glenelg bitter.

And who's fault is that? Read back through what I have already posted... If your club was not so deceitful and greedy, you may have been able to work out a better deal for SA footy, but your club, like the Victorian clubs only cared about self presevation and now you are struggling, ha!

West Coast signed an agreement in 1986 whereby they ceded their local zones for a year and paid $4,000,000 up front in licence fees.

The moment that happened there was no way in hell we'd get a better deal than the Heads of Agreement we originally signed and the conditions you eventually agreed to.

But hey, blame Port Adelaide. :thumbsu:

Another myth, do you really think that moving to Adelaide Oval is the solution? The problem is people are quite happy watching footy at home on their big screen TV in the comfort of there living rooms. Getting up of your arse is to much effort, specially for Port supporters it would seem.

What myth? Everything I have said is true. You're just too busy believing the spin of Whickerpedia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said above, I think it is crap that fans of proud and successful clubs like Glenelg, Sturt and so on had to see their clubs 'relegated' as it were.

It would be nice also if Power supporters could also acknowledge the damage they help create. But that appears to be expecting too much.

As I said above, I think it is crap that fans of proud and successful clubs like Glenelg, Sturt and so on had to see their clubs 'relegated' as it were.

With 8 consecutive wooden spoons between 1989-1996 I'm not sure Sturt can blame anyone but themselves, Crows or not.

It would be nice also if Power supporters could also acknowledge the damage they help create. But that appears to be expecting too much.

It'd be nice if Glenelg supporters could also acknowledge that massive chip on the shoulders, but that appears... etc etc.

It'd be nice if Glenelg supporters could also acknowledge that massive chip on the shoulders, but that appears... etc etc.

Are you daft? I have a chip on my shoulder, I'm not being very subtle here. I was perfectly happy following Glenelg in the SANFL, the 80's were good years, we were producing great players, winning flags. Then greed and self interest took over, your club was a big part of that. Its not rocket science mate!

There is no chopping block.

Demetriou is on record as saying the 10 Vic sides are the economic cornerstone of the comp, that expansion can't happen without them.

That's why the AFL expended such time and effort and money re-negotiating the stadium deals.

18 clubs are here for a generation at least.

Melbourne are almost debt free. North will be debt free within 5 years.

Both clubs are haeding - or have the potential to - into successful onfield cycles.

This isn't the 90s. There is no Oakleyesque agenda to get rid of clubs.

Open your eyes.

You've opened my eyes SLF. :eek:

I'm with you, we need all 18 clubs being successful off the field to maintain the AFL's position as the number one sporting code in Australia. That said, I hope you also support the AFL's expansion to ensure just that.

You've opened my eyes SLF. :eek:

I'm with you, we need all 18 clubs being successful off the field to maintain the AFL's position as the number one sporting code in Australia. That said, I hope you also support the AFL's expansion to ensure just that.

I have always said I support expansion as long as it is not rushed and a disaster like say the Bears.

I've been very impressed with how the GC lot have conducted their affairs in the last 8-12 months.

I think GWS has some way to go, but then it is still very early days. Not sold on the Sheedy appointment but I'll reserve making even initial judgements for at least another 12 months.

I hope GWS doesn't put all its eggs in the 'get a big league star' basket - Jarrad Hayne etc.

That said, it is certainly happening and I support the concept even if I have some reservations about how they are going about it.

I hope GWS doesn't put all its eggs in the 'get a big league star' basket - Jarrad Hayne etc.

I hear ya. Would much rather see some young kid from a west Sydney migrant background become a star of the game. Oh and I'm still hopeful Western Sydney sign this bloke too.

r8-gsp-12-l.jpg

I hear ya. Would much rather see some young kid from a west Sydney migrant background become a star of the game. Oh and I'm still hopeful Western Sydney sign this bloke too.

r8-gsp-12-l.jpg

I reckon the migrant kid would be the aim 20 years down the track.

As I said, there's plenty of time for the GWS lot to fire up their bid.

12 months ago I wasn't too confident on the GC operation and I've done a full about turn on them so there is no reason why GWS won't have me doing similar in Nov 2010.

GWS will be more of a challenge than GC but the rewards are greater IMO.

Again you know I hate correcting you Sweetie, but Glenelg were never proud or that successful. In fact the Crows took a fair chunk of the Bays support staff in the formative years which would explain why they were so shit until Blight came along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Victorians holding football back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back