Game Day Around The Grounds - Rnds 0 - 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon's game plan is taxing on his players and disruptive to typical opposition structures - he invites the opposition to match his stacked numbers in defensive 50 and then challenges the opposition to match each way running - there is always the threat of the consequent open spaces that a sucked in attacking team will allow for a long kick to open space and joe the goose type easy goals.

One on one matchups are a natural outcome of countering this and here he is backing on superior running ability to win in the end of a long grind.

It will be interesting to see if any coach is smart enough ( and has the list capability) to actually suck St Kilda into exhausting themselves by running them around in uncontested kick mark football for extended periods of time - teams that can play tempo football and mix the pace and direction of the game up will be St Kilda's biggest challenge.

As for the rest of teams I watched - it seems everyone is trying to play the same game plan - and the difference being an ability to execute better for longer - dont be fooled by the apparent differences of more or less running through the guts - the differences basically boiled down to fitness and skill levels- the intent was the same for most teams.

In the early games lottery that is teh start of every AFL season - I won't be confident about Carlton until Weitering is back to organise defensive structure and deprive the opposition of an easy path to goals.

If Carlton can get enough contested ball wins in the middle between the arcs and get the ball to marking forwards fast- St Kilda are vulnerable - as is everyone else. Harry coming into form is very welcome

Suns played well at home even last year

Test for them is when they hit the road
At the moment they purely rely on the brilliance of their midfield ably assisted by Witts. It's the one area they partially play as a team rather than individuals. Need to expand that to include the rest of the group, but at least they now have a coach who understands the value of "team". Took us how many years to understand that concept??? Much easier to make connection and execute a game plan successfully once the playing group embraces that.
Dimma needs to find a way to keep them all on the park as much as possible, especially Rowell.
There's a heap of awesome kids coming through that'll assist their rise up the ladder.
Think it's great they've been able to retain Luko & King.

Must say I'm particularly disappointed in the Crows last night. I rate them and they'll need to learn to win away from home if they want to go anywhere in the business end of the season, if they make it that far.

Ross Lyon's game plan is taxing on his players and disruptive to typical opposition structures - he invites the opposition to match his stacked numbers in defensive 50 and then challenges the opposition to match each way running - there is always the threat of the consequent open spaces that a sucked in attacking team will allow for a long kick to open space and joe the goose type easy goals.

One on one matchups are a natural outcome of countering this and here he is backing on superior running ability to win in the end of a long grind.

It will be interesting to see if any coach is smart enough ( and has the list capability) to actually suck St Kilda into exhausting themselves by running them around in uncontested kick mark football for extended periods of time - teams that can play tempo football and mix the pace and direction of the game up will be St Kilda's biggest challenge.

As for the rest of teams I watched - it seems everyone is trying to play the same game plan - and the difference being an ability to execute better for longer - dont be fooled by the apparent differences of more or less running through the guts - the differences basically boiled down to fitness and skill levels- the intent was the same for most teams.

In the early games lottery that is teh start of every AFL season - I won't be confident about Carlton until Weitering is back to organise defensive structure and deprive the opposition of an easy path to goals.

If Carlton can get enough contested ball wins in the middle between the arcs and get the ball to marking forwards fast- St Kilda are vulnerable - as is everyone else. Harry coming into form is very welcome

The combo of Weitering, McGovern, Marchbank and Newman to lock in defensive clearances is huge for us in winning games.

The main thing I have taken out of watching other games is how mature the bodies are in the Carlton side compared to many other sides. Essendon and Hawthorn looked positively tiny against our blokes, as did the younger Geelong guys.

I guess that’s why they talk about a premiership window, and why you have to make the most of it.

teknodeejay : here is my take on defensive capability based on 2 games so far:

Weitering > Saad > Williams > McGovern are locks Marchbank I favour because he is a good interceptor ( but flakey body) Newman I reckon is playing below his '23 standards- and I blame Young for that...Boyd and Kemp are developing defenders both have strengths and weaknesses - a marking second ruckman who can plug a hole forward of CHB would be handy ( Pittonet will never be that as he has small hands and cant jump) - TDK is doing a good job on wings as is Harry as is sometimes Cripps as the get of goal relief marker.

defending the entries starts in the forward line for rebound teams and between the arcs in general sense- Walsh' absence has weakened ground ball effectiveness compared to '23 - Kennedy being played forward mostly has detracted from that as well - Cerra and Hewett need to get down and dirty more - Cripps has done too much compared to the rest and is unsustainable against better opposition.

In the forward lines - Harry is probably the best close in defender followed by Fogarty perceived pressure from Owies and Durdin is more perception than reality so far -I see Kennedy more as an onballer than a 3/4 of the time HFF - too slow for defensive duties but as good as the rest for attacking duties- his between the arcs contested marking is better than his forward positioning.

That is my 2 game assessment- a lot of room for improvement and a fair it could come from just including Weitering and Walsh - re Martin and Marchbank ( flakey body along with Marchbank ) are not to be relied on unfortunately but both better options than some who are playing now IF fit.

I think Cuningham/Kennedy/ are not locks at this stage - although nice to see Cuningham at least staying on the park. Owies is my preferred starting small- and I don't like saying that - because he has a tendency to muck up team plays with his below average field kicking ability - he has developed into a reliable 35 meter out set shot kick - he will never kick a goal using a running banana or doing anything factor X being a straight line runner ....

All eyes on wether E Hollands is a better bet than Kennedy/Cuningham ( I doubt it) and wether Motlop really has developed ( I expect it)

the other issues are on wings O Hollands will need a couple more years to strengthen up and Cottrell needs to be more than just a 4 quarter runner- although to his credit at least he kicks set shots when he gets a chance - the Acres pickup is probably teh best signing we've had forward of defensive lines in a decade.

I'm not impressed with midfield performance tbh the standards there should have been maintained and teh turnover effectiveness we are seeing should have been an extension of team capability not a compensation for weakening effectiveness. Still sans Walsh and a redeployed Kennedy and experimenting with flakey runts in CBB - it is early days- i expect Voss will revert back to the real on ball brigade and duties when Martin and Walsh become available- Carroll has been a welcome surprise addition if he gets better with each game we have found another mid 0- which isnt easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Stewart, Sam De Koning, Jack Henry, Mark Blicavs, Rhys Stanley, Tanner Bruyn, Oliver Dempsey, Zach Guthrie
800px-Logo_Toys_R_Us.svg.png

can you talk stuff I understand please?

I forgot to turn teh commentary off - and Brad Johnson has given me a headache

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around The Grounds - Rnds 0 - 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back