Atmosphere at the soccer better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flags are for kids FFS.

Used to love my flag as a tacker at Waverley Park in the 80's but then it just became ghey!
But then again, it is no gheyer than grown adults in the cheer squad!!!!!!:eek:
Even the term "CHEER SQUAD" is super ghey, not to mention those ghey banners, floggers and flags!

It is more exciting because you could get stabbed, beaten up or set aflame with a flare at any moment, that would create some nail biting atmosphere.

Where'd you get that from? South Cross (anti-football/soccer 3AW) Network News? :thumbsu:

When the Strikers won the old A-league lang park had a full house and soccer was set to take over. It didn't and the stikers are now gone.
That said I think the A-league is a great concept but the biggest draw card will always be the national side. I see soccer slotting into a market like the cricket team and the wallabies in years to come were the national side will be superstars but the national league alot of rungs down.
Soccer will never keep its superstars in Australia and that will always hold it back at club level.

The A-League will never be a top league, but I don't think it ever intends to be.

Instead it is a competition to help develop Australian players for overseas clubs, and for veteran Australian's and Socceroo's to come back home to finish off their careers.

The A-League is further bolstered through the Asian Champions League, which will bring in more money and help attract quality players to the league.

At the moment it is still a few years off this goal, as it needs to first establish itself as a major sport in this country.

Good point about the asian league and is a real wild card as far a development of the game at home. It could be the one way to keep the home grown stars at home in the future, well at least a bit longer. Europe will always be the holy grail for most players I would imagine.

This whole thread reeks of insecurity.

Soccer is a different sport, get over it, comparing it to AFL is ridiculous, there is completely different things to appreciate in both sports. This is the kind of insecurity you hear from NSW NRL-heads, who feel threatened by AFL. It's quite easy for both to co-exist, and to support both. If you're not into soccer, who cares, it's all subjective.

I always find it amusing that whenever soccer has something to crow about, like getting to the world cup, doing well at the world cup, or getting a 50,000 crowd in Melbourne, there seems to be an instant reaction from some to try to put the game down, as if it is for some reason unacceptable to follow two completely different sports, played in different seasons.

Soccer is simply a game driven by international rivalry´s! But I´ve been to 3 Dortmund games this year while I´ve been doing my exchange, and the atmosphere is also pretty good. Would miss an AFL match to see it, but it´s just all I´ve got here.

It´s pretty good, but remember Dortmund has the biggest membership base in Europe, so I would have expected more!

"its not soccer its football "

This is something else that annoys me:

Why is the Australian public now forced to call 'soccer' 'football'?!?!

The governing body of 'soccer' was once called 'Soccer Australia' if I'm not mistaken, and that organisation was only renamed a couple of years ago. So the head honchos seemed to have no problem calling a spade a spade - but no..we are now meant to forget about this episode.

Suddenly we are all supposed to forget about what we called the sport two weeks ago so we can give it a bit more credibility. The people who ran soccer for years are the ones to blame - don't blame the public and try to 'guilt' them into converting.

sorry, teh atmosphere blows comapred to AFL, the actual action on the field is definitely inferior as well
you sound like a one eyed melbourne/afl supporter. I love my afl and love my club, but i must admit, the soccer crowds are allot more vocal and united than any afl crowd, even interstate crowds.
I love my footy, i dont go to AFL games because of the atmosphere, i go to watch the sport. What is there to like about beer drinking yobbos who eat meat pies and hang shiX on their own players ?

Soccer is simply a game driven by international rivalry´s! But I´ve been to 3 Dortmund games this year while I´ve been doing my exchange, and the atmosphere is also pretty good. Would miss an AFL match to see it, but it´s just all I´ve got here.

It´s pretty good, but remember Dortmund has the biggest membership base in Europe, so I would have expected more!

Exactly the point I was making earlier about the English grounds I went to. You hear all the stuff about the "unreal" or "fabulous" or "intense" athmosphere at places like Dortmund or Everton or Arsenal....you go to europe and go to a game to see what it's like and frankly its not all its cracked up to be. Goals are cheered, long periods of fairly mundane quietness etc. in the meantime.

I mean if you like soccer fine but all I can judge is my experience and the biggest clubs in England were TBH nothing exceptional in terms of athmosphere and nothing like the emotional rollercoaster we are told they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went and the buildup was good but no goals made it anti-climatic.
And what is it with Sydney calling themselves 'FC'. What the is an FC? Pretentious?

This is something else that annoys me:

Why is the Australian public now forced to call 'soccer' 'football'?!?!

The governing body of 'soccer' was once called 'Soccer Australia' if I'm not mistaken, and that organisation was only renamed a couple of years ago. So the head honchos seemed to have no problem calling a spade a spade - but no..we are now meant to forget about this episode.

Suddenly we are all supposed to forget about what we called the sport two weeks ago so we can give it a bit more credibility. The people who ran soccer for years are the ones to blame - don't blame the public and try to 'guilt' them into converting.

Hey, nobody is asking someone to call soccer anything but soccer, but the FFA are quite within their rights to maintain a marketing strategy that leaves the 'old' behind for the 'new'. Theier are examples of this kinf of marketing everywhere. We are marketed into to calling kentucky fried KFC for example. It's all part of a campaign to promote the sport. And why not? Nobody has to follow if they don't choose to. But it seems to be working. In sydney , you don't hear the term 'soccer' so much now, football is commonplace.

Used to love my flag as a tacker at Waverley Park in the 80's but then it just became ghey!
But then again, it is no gheyer than grown adults in the cheer squad!!!!!!:eek:
Even the term "CHEER SQUAD" is super ghey, not to mention those ghey banners, floggers and flags!

For the record, you have to be a minimum age of 15 to join most AFL cheer squads, hardly a thing for kids.

Hey, nobody is asking someone to call soccer anything but soccer, but the FFA are quite within their rights to maintain a marketing strategy that leaves the 'old' behind for the 'new'. Theier are examples of this kinf of marketing everywhere. We are marketed into to calling kentucky fried KFC for example. It's all part of a campaign to promote the sport. And why not? Nobody has to follow if they don't choose to. But it seems to be working. In sydney , you don't hear the term 'soccer' so much now, football is commonplace.

Spot on. No one has a trademark on the term Football. Furthermore, no one is forcing anyone to use the term. If you want to call it Soccer, that is your perogative.

I heard a lot of people on the radio saying how great the atmosphere was on Friday night! Well they had to do something,the game was 92 minutes of the most boring sport and worse acting since Mariah Carey! SOCCER is a joke of a game and the crowd have to amuse themselves in the stands because NOTHING happens on-field! Just watching these so-called men get a baby tap on the leg and get up limping is laughable! Don't they all wear shin guards? AFL has nothing to worry about EVER!!!!.......:D

Or there's this as the goalkeeper lines up to kick it back: "You fat bastard, you fat bastard, you fat bastard, you arrrrrrrrrre (kicks the ball) SH1T! Aaaaaaahhh"

Plus other chants about being w*ankers and the like.

Put me and my family off from ever going back.

Have you ever been to the cricket?

I heard a lot of people on the radio saying how great the atmosphere was on Friday night! Well they had to do something,the game was 92 minutes of the most boring sport and worse acting since Mariah Carey! SOCCER is a joke of a game and the crowd have to amuse themselves in the stands because NOTHING happens on-field! Just watching these so-called men get a baby tap on the leg and get up limping is laughable! Don't they all wear shin guards? AFL has nothing to worry about EVER!!!!.......:D

oh dear

The atmosphere at the soccer was fantastic. The chanting, jumping and singing is sensational (far superior to any of the AFL supporter's groups IMO). Just disspointing that Victory couldn't crack it for a goal.

Though that aspect was dissapointing (no score), many AFL games are effectively over at 3 quarter time...

All sports have their dour struggles, look forward to going again.

You obviously didn't go to Australia Uruguay.

AFL can only dream of the atmosphere and passiona soccer generates.

At least with footy you can enjoy the game as well as the crowd. Soccer is the most boring sport to watch. You have to entertain yourself to enjoy the game.

At least with footy you can enjoy the game as well as the crowd. Soccer is the most boring sport to watch. You have to entertain yourself to enjoy the game.

so every person goes to the soccer just for the crowd only.
I love it, don't find it boring at all.

so every person goes to the soccer just for the crowd only.
I love it, don't find it boring at all. Easily the most enjoyable of the football codes for me, and that's coming from someone who has hardly missed a swans game in 10 years

More enjoyable than AFL football... Pfft

The increased atmosphere at soccer matches is created by the crowds through singing and chanting. They sing and chant to keep themselves amused because the game they are watching is friggin' boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back