Atmosphere at the soccer better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The New Zealand Knights are a club in another country, where there is no AFL therefore they are not a competitor of AFL and their crowds are irrelevant. The only reason they are in the league was to extend a helping hand to New Zealand football, and the way they are going they are expected to be replaced by an 8th Australian club within a year or two.

Their crowds are an outlier, any statistician could tell you that it would be perfectly acceptable to take their figures out of the equation.

A lot of assumptions in that.....

Lazlo get off your high horse. Soccer more passion than AFL, when soccer goes through many periods where virtually nothing happens.

If soccer is so good, why don't they get average crowds anywhere near what the AFL do? And don't play the 50,000 Victory crowd, that was a one-off, what crowds did the other games for the round get; between 8,000 and 12,000.

AFL consistently averages around 36,000 per game, Soccer averages 12,000 (up from 10,000) the previous year. So three-times more people go and see AFL than soccer.

Also Victorian based AFL memberships are around 250,000 minimum, the Victory has 11,000.

If soccer has so much passion, where are the crowds? One decent crowd doesn't make soccer better than AFL.

While I don't mind watching soccer, it has nothing on AFL in Australia.

All the Victory lads on our forum are roasting you.

Hey er, if AFL is so ********ing fantastic, why put both of my favourite clubs as you "Other teams"?

I've heard that soccer players are nicer to their mums and that AFL players eat with their mouths open. I think that makes soccer the better sport.

Those soccer crowds are a joke considering the games aren't even on FTA and the only way for many to see the games is live. The reason the crowds chant is because the game is so boring that they have to make their own entertainment. If they are getting these crowds so soon after the Soccerroos national success then imagine what the crowds will be like if the national team fades. AFL has a lot more substance about it, the crowd and TV figures are always pretty constant.

Soccer crowds aren't made up of people who actually like sport, they're made up of

1. Yuppie and bandwaggoning types

2. IQ challenged immigrants, including Poms. Mainly bogans.

That is generally what the Swans get, except no immigrants, replaced by ageing middle management types.

Already Melbourne Victory averages as much as most AFL clubs (despite the handicap of few away fans at matches), and with finals around the corner, the Melbourne Victory average will easily go up above the AFL average.

Maybe because Melbourne "Victory" (great name :D :thumbsu: ) are the only club in Victoria... I'd guess that say Essendon or Collingwood would average equal or higher crowds than them, and they've got to compete with 8 other Victorian footy teams.

Maybe because Melbourne "Victory" (great name :D :thumbsu: ) are the only club in Victoria... I'd guess that say Essendon or Collingwood would average equal or higher crowds than them, and they've got to compete with 8 other Victorian footy teams.

Hang on champ, people do exactly the same by comparing the Swans vs Sydney RL sides. So which way is it?

Well said Musty :D

We are progressing nicely and it will only get bigger and better

Admittedly soccer will get bigger, and that 50,000 Victory crowd will not just be a one off, but will be repeated for the finals and anytime Victory plays Sydney, just like the footy blockbusters.

Lowy will be happy with a 15,000 average for the second season, which was the target, but I am sure the FFA with Ben Buckley in tow will be looking at ways to increase the average for following seasons.

With soccer, this won't be so difficult, as it just means lifting the salary cap to enable the teams to buy big name imports. ( Hopefully more selectively than with the geriatric Romario) As Australia play more international games against the Asian group countries, more money will flow into the FFA coffers.
The two games against Argentina next June will also bring in a couple of million.

But Footy and soccer are played in different seasons, with just a bit of overlap, so there should be no conflict at all, and I am sure plenty of the kids at the Victory games also support a footy team.

The two sports also appeal to a different demographic, footy to an average age of over 35, and soccer to an average age of 20 years, as could be seen in the Victory crowd.

One of the things I like about 'BigFooty' is that I am able to post about AFL and 'Association Football' (whatever you want to call it) my favourite sports.

I also like the fact that in the 'Association Football' section here is full of bicodal people like me.

But once in a while there are these threads about Australian Rules vs Association Football...I usually don't slag anyone on forums..but..can I say that they are really borefests?

There is a section who will only like Australian Rules, and that's fine. One section will only like Association Football and that's fine. And then there are people (like lots on this forum) who are lucky enough to like both. It is like arguing whether Pizza is better than Canelloni or whether Chicken Parmigiana is better than the Veal version.

Different things, different sports etc. The athmosphere at Telstra Dome was awsome, but so it is on a packed MGC watching a final between two Melbourne AFL teams. But is different. The support with Association Football is organised with chanting, choreography and colour. At an AFL game there is a constant wave of sound as each individual shouts their own instructions: "Tackle him!" "Pick him up!" "Ball!" "in the back!" etc.

Both fantastic, both unique.

One of the things I like about 'BigFooty' is that I am able to post about AFL and 'Association Football' (whatever you want to call it) my favourite sports.

I also like the fact that in the 'Association Football' section here is full of bicodal people like me.

But once in a while there are these threads about Australian Rules vs Association Football...I usually don't slag anyone on forums..but..can I say that they are really borefests?

There is a section who will only like Australian Rules, and that's fine. One section will only like Association Football and that's fine. And then there are people (like lots on this forum) who are lucky enough to like both. It is like arguing whether Pizza is better than Canelloni or whether Chicken Parmigiana is better than the Veal version.

Different things, different sports etc. The athmosphere at Telstra Dome was awsome, but so it is on a packed MGC watching a final between two Melbourne AFL teams. But is different. The support with Association Football is organised with chanting, choreography and colour. At an AFL game there is a constant wave of sound as each individual shouts their own instructions: "Tackle him!" "Pick him up!" "Ball!" "in the back!" etc.

Both fantastic, both unique.

Listen pal, we don't need someone like you prancing in here and talking complete sense.

Scram.

Atmosphere is important, yes. But for me I go to the Footy for the Footy, not the 'atmosphere'. If you fork out good cash to sit and listen to a heap of people with bad voices sing at the top of their lungs, there's something not quite right with you.
So for me, it's a fast, tough, non-stop, athletic, high scoring spectacle versus a totally predictably bouncing spherical ball drifting aimlessly between 2 impenetrable defences for 88 minutes. Bit of a no-brainer, really.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atmosphere is important, yes. But for me I go to the Footy for the Footy, not the 'atmosphere'. If you fork out good cash to sit and listen to a heap of people with bad voices sing at the top of their lungs, there's something not quite right with you.
So for me, it's a fast, tough, non-stop, athletic, high scoring spectacle versus a totally predictably bouncing spherical ball drifting aimlessly between 2 impenetrable defences for 88 minutes. Bit of a no-brainer, really.....

Tough? A code that is turning into netball?

Maybe 20 years ago it was tough, but not now...a little bit of biff on the field and we cry about the children turning into thugs.

If i wanted athletic, i'd watch gymnastics. Give me football any day of the week.

Yet AFL still gets bigger average crowds. And you really think domestic soccer is going to get bigger crowds than our indigenous game down the track? :eek:

Did you ever think that Melbourne Victory would get 50,000 to a home & away game this year? ...i didn't either.

Maybe 20 years ago it was tough, but not now...a little bit of biff on the field and we cry about the children turning into thugs.

If i wanted athletic, i'd watch gymnastics. Give me football any day of the week.

You are right about that - footballers often get criticised for diving, but when you consider that they are constantly getting smashed in the legs I think they probably take more punishment than AFL players. Footballers have to control a ball with their feet while getting around people, it's hard to realise exactly how much strain this can put on your ankles and feet while AFL players can just grab the ball and run however they want.

That's funny, you just slagged Football off, saying it's turning to netball, and then you say you'll take it any day of the week??? I'm confused...or maybe you are.....

(and you go out and take a hit from B Hall or J Brown, and see if you still think it's netball)

Did you ever think that Melbourne Victory would get 50,000 to a home & away game this year? ...i didn't either.

You are right about that - footballers often get criticised for diving, but when you consider that they are constantly getting smashed in the legs I think they probably take more punishment than AFL players. Footballers have to control a ball with their feet while getting around people, it's hard to realise exactly how much strain this can put on your ankles and feet while AFL players can just grab the ball and run however they want.

HAHAHHHHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA.

Dumbest statement ever

Anyone who thinks I was trying to have a go at the soccer is mistaken.

Just offering my opinion on the atmosphere amongst 95% of the crowd.

Next time I go, and there will be a next time, I'll be sitting where the action is :)

Mate, get a clue, Pom is not racist. And I believe "soccer" is a perfectly valid name for it, look it up in the dictionary if you like. As far as I know the team call themselves the Soccerroos :) :thumbsu:

Idiot

You used it in a racist derogatory context.

Socceroos was a term coined well before the name of Football was accepted.

I wonder, can Aussie Rules play Italy like The Australian national football team did?

4103050090.jpg

Holy ******** its Australia Versus Brazil in a World Wide footballing competition.

Surely cos Australian Rules is so fantastic they will have one too!

4103050090.jpg

Holy shit its Australia Versus Brazil in a World Wide footballing competition.

Surely cos Australian Rules is so fantastic they will have one too!

Roonaldo, you have converted me to the world game with your persuasive arguments: I only came on this site to talk Aussie Rules, but thanks to you I'll drop everything, sign up to Foxtel, and then pledge allegiance to my favourite EPL team based upon some clever reasoning such as 'I like the colour red', or 'By barracking for the most popular and successful team I won't look like a pathetic maggot to my friends, who I am desperately trying to impress'.

I've been a member of Victory since the start. There is a bit of atmosphere when the cheer squad gets singing but for most of the game the crowd is dead quiet. That's because the game is boring in my opinion. I don't think I'll renew my membership next year.

I've been a member of Victory since the start. There is a bit of atmosphere when the cheer squad gets singing but for most of the game the crowd is dead quiet. That's because the game is boring in my opinion. I don't think I'll renew my membership next year.

Cheer squads are for fat teenagers with ADD who sing "Catters,Catters Catters Oi! Oi! Oi!" and adults who have lost their marbles. There are no cheer squads at Victory games. There are various supporter groups who congregate at both ends of the ground (SDC, BWB etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back