Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

If you can mount an argument to say NZ - santner aside who has been utter junk - have actually been poor with the ball, I’d be interested to hear it.

It does Australia a disservice with the bat to suggest it. They’ve been disciplined and patient and have batted intelligently against generally accurate and patient bowling

Whilst I largely agree with you I would also like to comment on CDG’s accuracy.

Deadly accurate 3 feet wide of off-stump. In the great tradition of many past Kiwi dibbly-dobbly medium pacers.

Their intention was always to bore you out.

Shane Warne banging on about “resting” a quick for Sydney to play Swepson. He even suggested to give Nathan Lyon a rest to give the young fella a taste.
Seriously, can you imagine John Buchanan telling Warne 20 years ago, you’re having a rest for Sydney because we want to give Macgill or another spinner ‘a taste” he would’ve gone ballistic. He has never forgiven Steve Waugh for dropping him in the West Indies.
He is a dill of a commentator.
Yes, for a genuine great of the game Warne sometimes comes out with some absolute nonsense. Steve Waugh was absolutely right to drop him in the WI. Warne was going through a very poor patch at the time. McGill’s selection enabled us to square the series. Loves to hold a grudge our Shane.

Yes, for a genuine great of the game Warne sometimes comes out with some absolute nonsense. Steve Waugh was absolutely right to drop him in the WI. Warne was going through a very poor patch at the time. McGill’s selection enabled us to square the series. Loves to hold a grudge our Shane.

Was averaging over 100 for the series and Lara was simply toying with him. Absolutely it was the right call

One day Australia’s going to play four pacemen in a match and it will probably be the most intimidating attack since the great days of the West Indies. Starc, Cummings, Hazlewood and Pattinson would be a scary proposition for any opposition.
Been waiting a long time fir these 4 to fit at the same time. We had it in England but never played them together. I would love to see them rest Lyon and play all four quicks with Head and Labs bowling the spinning overs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty lame duck performance by NZ this test and in Perth

Genuinely thought would be a competitive series
I expected 3-0 if weather held up. And Perth was never going to be competitive.
Nor would Melbourne if it was its normal self. With a bit of grass on the pitch here, I thought maybe the Kiwi bowlers could do more and the batsmen find enough to make it interesting for a while. Not to be. I'm no fan of pace for pace's sake, but the Kiwis didn't appear quick enough to find any two-pacedness in the pitch once the ball was not brand new.

What does NZ do for Sydney? Play an extra batsman? Replacements for Santner look thin, presumably Astle in. And if a sixth batsman comes in which pace bowler gets dropped.

In my time we’ve had great opening bowlers and some great quicks overall

But I don’t require us ever having a battery of fast bowlers like this

Lillee, Thompson and Walker I think operated together for a number of tests. I'm not sure I'd prefer to face them rather than today's attack.

Lillee and Thompson were genuinely scary

If you're going to bowl Wade to see if there's any up and down you surely have to have Paine up to the stumps and set a really straight field?

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back