Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

And which crisis has he failed to turn up for?

Scomo went on holidays in Hawaii, at the height of the biggest bushfire emergency the country has ever seen. The same cannot be said for Albo (at least, not yet).
I'm not complaining as I find his absence reassuring but I suspect those in favour of the voice thought that he might have some kind of a response, or have something to say, and they might think that he has gone missing.

Not politics but what a horrible way to go. So sad.

4.2m great white: Surfer killed in shark attack at Streaky Bay on SA’s west coast​

A veteran surfer has told how he was circled by the killer 4.2m great white on his jetski on the state’s west coast – detailing how the shark attacked the 55-year-old man who died.
A witness who was at the scene told The Advertiser the shark was about 14 feet – or 4.2m – long.

Not politics but what a horrible way to go. So sad.

4.2m great white: Surfer killed in shark attack at Streaky Bay on SA’s west coast​

A veteran surfer has told how he was circled by the killer 4.2m great white on his jetski on the state’s west coast – detailing how the shark attacked the 55-year-old man who died.
A witness who was at the scene told The Advertiser the shark was about 14 feet – or 4.2m – long.

A guy i knew from my old junior club tennis playing days was taken earlier this year at Ceduna. Simon Baccanello RIP

Noticed there was a bit of discussion around the AUKUS deal and the possibility of domestic production.

If you're interested, this article outlines some of the existing challenges facing the US in constructing enough subs for their own current fleet plans

Interesting opinion from John Howard. 1.4 million people of Chinese descent in Australia sounds high. I suppose that includes neighbouring countries like Vietnam. Still sounds high.

Interesting opinion from John Howard. 1.4 million people of Chinese descent in Australia sounds high. I suppose that includes neighbouring countries like Vietnam. Still sounds high.

I doubt it includes Vietnamese - who are counted separately, and are one of Australia's largest migrant groups (as a result of Australia taking in the boat people after the end of the Vietnam War).

If you Google "australian census chinese population", it says that:
There are now some 1.4 million people with Chinese ancestry living in Australia, comprising 5.5% of the population. 1 According to the 2021 census, of Australia's top five ancestries, the only group to have grown since the last census in 2016 was Australians with Chinese ancestry.
It appears that Google agrees with John Howard.

Google & Howard are both quoting a report by the Lowy Institute:
https://interactives.lowyinstitute.org/features/chinese-communities/reports/2023 Being Chinese in Australia Poll – Lowy Institute.pdf

Note that it says "of Chinese ancestry" - not born in China, or even born to Chinese parents. If someone has a Chinese ancestor somewhere in their family tree, even 5-6 generations back, then they count towards this number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fifth problem for the Voice was the name-calling that some on the Left employed, thinking that ridiculing others while parading their own politically correct credentials was a way to win hearts and minds.

There are a significant number of these people, some celebrities, others just average punters with a Twitter account, who all played their role in driving up the No vote by besmirching people as racists and idiots not just for saying they were voting No but even for merely admitting they were confused or wanted more detail.
In a nutshell !!

What is it our mainstream culture though? Edit - I mean are we talking Christian stuff like Christmas and Easter or something else ?

I mean we can't agree on calling a parmi a parmi, this Parma stuff is unaustralian
Well ....this says a lot about our culture

Well ....this says a lot about our culture

Crime is not really tolerated over there.

Imagine that, expecting people coming to your country to obey YOUR country's laws, respect existing traditions and coming with the intention of leaving a positive imprint on the country that is kind enough to take you oh and leaving their grievances and feudalism at the door on the way in.

Even the best-explained version of the Voice would have failed | David Penberthy​

The tactics of Anthony Albanese and Peter Dutton are not the only parents of this failure, writes David Penberthy.

The PM has also been criticised in the past for being loose over details.

With the Voice proposal it felt like he tried to drive a brand-new car out of the showroom before the wheels had been bolted on.

By asking people to take the idea on trust as a matter of general principle, he let his opponents have a field day speculating about what the Voice could and would look like.

The sell-job never really recovered from this initial fatal flaw.

The third problem went to the timing of the proposal in the context of other national events. When the Uluru process started, no-one could have foreseen that we would end up holding a referendum off the back of surging inflation and 12 straight interest rate hikes.

The risk for the PM – and more importantly the very idea of the Voice itself – was that it looked like it was a second-tier issue amid spiralling power bills, $30 watermelons and $2.20 a litre petrol.
The fourth problem involved the well-meaning but hapless tactics of corporate Australian in trying to tell Australians what they thought was good for them.

This approach ranged from the mind-blowingly counter-productive to the laughably hypocritical.

For hypocrisy, no-one beats the mining giant Rio Tinto, the company which infamously blew up sacred Aboriginal caves but whose chairman only three days ago was lecturing Australia (while in London) that the failure of the Yes vote would destroy our international reputation.
The fifth problem for the Voice was the name-calling that some on the Left employed, thinking that ridiculing others while parading their own politically correct credentials was a way to win hearts and minds.

There are a significant number of these people, some celebrities, others just average punters with a Twitter account, who all played their role in driving up the No vote by besmirching people as racists and idiots not just for saying they were voting No but even for merely admitting they were confused or wanted more detail.

There are probably a lot of Aboriginal people waking up today feeling let down by what’s just occurred, or as if the result is a rejection of them.

It isn’t.
‘Voice campaign didn’t cause division ... people exploited it’
We did a great job stuffing it up on our own.

The challenge now is for both sides of the Voice divide to make good on their promise to achieve meaningful improvements for the lot of indigenous Australians.

For all the deliberately overblown claims of divisiveness this past few months, there’s one division that remains greater and more important, namely that an Aboriginal person will die on average in this country 10 years earlier than a white person, from a crowded field of miserable statistics.
David Penberthy must be a reader of the "AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion" thread Sounds like some posters on this thread at the time.:think:

Cycling culture is a hoot. You see older fat dudes riding the most expensive bikes..They weigh about 50 grams less than the $1500 bike.I often thought, if the fat dudes lost a bit of weight, they could have saved a lot of money on their bike and got the same results;)
A good mate of mine actually owns a mobile bike repair business." there’s gold in them thar hills." people pay all sorts of crazy money for repairs.

It was in relation to the IMF saying we need to increase interest rates and reduce spending on infrastructure to reign in spending.

Last edited:
No problem with PMs doing a bit of travel, but 20 trips in 18 months is pretty rich.
I'd be curious to know how many Scomo made, at least when travel wasn't curtailed by COVID. It's probably a similar number.

Then again, Scomo's lack of diplomatic skills is a large part of the reason why Albo needs to do so much traveling. I know he and Wong have made a point of visiting every South Pacific nation, to fix up the relationships which Scomo almost ****ed to the extent of pushing them into the arms of China.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back