Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be curious to know how many Scomo made, at least when travel wasn't curtailed by COVID. It's probably a similar number.

Then again, Scomo's lack of diplomatic skills is a large part of the reason why Albo needs to do so much traveling. I know he and Wong have made a point of visiting every South Pacific nation, to fix up the relationships which Scomo almost ****ed to the extent of pushing them into the arms of China.

He has a lot of bridges to mend I reckon
These are fair comments, yes.

No problem with PMs doing a bit of travel, but 20 trips in 18 months is pretty rich.
1 a month hardly seems over the top.

How does it compare to previous PM's?

I don't recall Bicks making such a big deal everytime ScoMo went on a trip.

I agree. Australia is one of the most isolated countries in the world. It is insane to think our PM shouldn't travel. Whether what he has done is excessive or not, I have no idea. But as long as the job gets done and he isnt skipping many parliament days.

It does show what benefit a Head of State that resides in the country would have.

PM can stay here being PM, an Australian Head Of State could be running around doing the diplomatic work.

I mean we could said King Charles or Prince Andrew maybe, from what I've heard he is pretty good under pressure, barely raises a sweat.

PM can stay here being PM, an Australian Head Of State could be running around doing the diplomatic work.
I think the hierarchy should - roughly - be first, ambassador, next, Foreign Minister, then the PM. Head of State for ceremonial / symbolic stuff only, not "diplomatic work".

Main reason being - the first three are elected, or appointed by / responsible to the elected government. Depending on the model, the Head of State won't be in that category. Even if the Head of State were elected, IMO that would give them the sort of authority that personally, at least, I don't want them to have (which is one of the reasons I prefer the appointed model).

I think the hierarchy should - roughly - be first, ambassador, next, Foreign Minister, then the PM. Head of State for ceremonial / symbolic stuff only, not "diplomatic work".

Main reason being - the first three are elected, or appointed by / responsible to the elected government. Depending on the model, the Head of State won't be in that category. Even if the Head of State were elected, IMO that would give them the sort of authority that personally, at least, I don't want them to have (which is one of the reasons I prefer the appointed model).
That's fair, to be honest I was being very expansive in using the term diplomatic stuff I was probably referring to the waving at crowds, state dinners etc, so I agree with you on who is doing the actual leg work.

I guess it comes down to what Aussies want as a HOS, I am, I think, on the same page as you, HOS more or less replacing the GG as symbolic HOS with similar powers.(who elects it doesn't worry me )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never heard of this guy, don't know if he is credible, but he claims to have found major problems in the analysis that concludes that renewable energy is the cheapest, because the analysis excludes a major category of system costs.

I have never heard of this guy, don't know if he is credible
I don't know either, but he's not alone.

Secondly, the attempt to compare the costs of different sources of energy by attributing to each a ‘levelised cost of electricity’ has always been misleading. Like other economies, Britain’s is founded upon an energy system. This means that the different energy sources are intricately interdependent. Take wind power. Like other renewables, it is intermittent, relying as it does on the weather. So if the wind isn’t blowing, gas-fired power stations are required to provide a back-up energy source. And since these stations are themselves only used intermittently, their use tends to be expensive. The use of an intermittent energy source like wind power therefore affects the costs of other parts of the energy system. This shows how futile it is to try to isolate a particular energy source and assign its output an intrinsic cost.

There are lots of holes in the "renewable energy is cheap" claims, but this, to me, is perhaps the most obvious / easiest to see. Yes, wind (e.g.) is cheap (albeit that is arguable) - by itself. But not when it is inserted into an energy system, as described here.

There are lots of holes in the "renewable energy is cheap" claims, but this, to me, is perhaps the most obvious / easiest to see. Yes, wind (e.g.) is cheap (albeit that is arguable) - by itself. But not when it is inserted into an energy system, as described here.
I think I heard Jim Chambers mention Carbon Tax this morning. I could be wrong. There is always method in their madness.:think:

I know you guys can have an aversion to experts in their field, but spiked online isn't the place to go for leveled headed analysis on renewable energy

I can almost guarantee you if you stick to sources like that your next argument will be Nuclear is cheaper on a levelised cost of electricity, because that's what everyone uses, even people telling us Renewables are more expensive.

I know it's hard for people to seperate, but renewables aren't a left wing thing like these guys want you to think.

Edit - you can tell by the instant disagreement by a poster who doesn't have a view that is independent of what the LNP tell him.

Double edit- an just to clarify, I'm not suggesting Spiked is left or right, I've been reading it on and off since Brendan ONeil was the editor, hilariously it's actually the reborn Living Marxism by the RCP (a communist party)

Last edited:
I know you guys can have an aversion to experts in their field, but spiked online isn't the place to go for leveled headed analysis on renewable energy

I can almost guarantee you if you stick to sources like that your next argument will be Nuclear is cheaper on a levelised cost of electricity, because that's what everyone uses, even people telling us Renewables are more expensive.

I know it's hard for people to seperate, but renewables aren't a left wing thing like these guys want you to think.

Edit - you can tell by the instant disagreement by a poster who doesn't have a view that is independent of what the LNP tell him.

Double edit- an just to clarify, I'm not suggesting Spiked is left or right, I've been reading it on and off since Brendan ONeil was the editor, hilariously it's actually the reborn Living Marxism by the RCP (a communist party)
He's right arrowman, we should judge a message by our preconcieved opinion of the value of the messenger, rather than than what they actually say.

I'm not an energy expert but I know the following in SA:
  • we have the highest renewable electricity % in the country
  • my most recent electricity bill was 21% higher than same period last year, with less consumption
  • my gas bill (cooking, hot water) for the same period was 20% of my electricity bill (everything else) and the gap is widening. Other state governments are banning gas in favour of electricity and I expect SA will follow in turn.
  • we are sitting on mountains of uranium in a country with a nuclear energy ban, while we sell it to other countries for their energy production.

Something is seriously wrong here and it's the poor schmucks at the end of the energy supply chain that are paying the price.

• my most recent electricity bill was 21% higher than same period last year, with less consumption
  • my gas bill (cooking, hot water) for the same period was 20% of my electricity bill (everything else) and the gap is widening. Other state governments are banning gas in favour of electricity and I expect SA will follow in turn.
  • we are sitting on mountains of uranium in a country with a nuclear energy ban, while we sell it to other countries for their energy production.

Something is seriously wrong here and it's the poor schmucks at the end of the energy supply chain that are paying the price.
Funnily enough, I was unlucky enough to have to replace my hot water service, so I have been fortunate YOY my cost for electricity stayed the same, even though I used less.

But yes, we are getting screwed, as a fan of privatisation it is a tough sell at the moment.

However

- we aren't getting screwed by renewables, we are getting screwed by the gas and coal back up, annoyingly largely from price fluctuations 12 months ago (they price for a 12 month period )

- I'm impartial to Nuclear, but we should have had this debate 20 years ago and started building it, the Govts at the time preferred to rely on gas and coal.

- I get why Nuclear makes sense in countries that don't have access to what we do. The rational thing to do is build the cheaper option, which in our country is renewable + storage. (We can do sources of information if you want, but if you google Gencost or the IEA has some good stuff)

Don't get me wrong, there are some extreme people out there calling for everything renewables right now, but it's just an orderly transition that's needed.

Plus, why use the uranium if we can make more money selling it.

I'm in favour of renewables (not to the exclusion of nuclear, we should have both if we need both) and I think we should make the transition -- but it was utterly dishonest to claim that it would be cheaper, and so obviously incapable of being true that I am surprised that as many believed it as appear to have done so.

I'm in favour of renewables (not to the exclusion of nuclear, we should have both if we need both) and I think we should make the transition -- but it was utterly dishonest to claim that it would be cheaper, and so obviously incapable of being true that I am surprised that as many believed it as appear to have done so.
Same here. I am happy (sort of) with what I pay for my power, but you have to feel someone with no solar panels is subsidizing my solar bill. The power companies pay SFA from our panels in rebates and still charge high infeed's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back