Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody good show tonight, I thought Tommy vs Lena and Jess vs Chevs were outstanding, and Waller/Jimmy and Kai/Robbie were both really good as well.
I thought Lena tom was too much i hit a move you hit a move. Lena didn't really get any personality over doing that.

Chevs Jess good layout. Up and down execution. Maybe too ambitious at times. So a win overall

I actually liked the show.... terrifying stuff. Also 2 hr 20. 15 min intermission. Obvious someone else is in charge. Minimal pwa crap as well.

Imagine if you’d never seen Australian wrestling before, and you scored a ticket to see Australia’s (self-described) number 1 promotion, and that was the heavyweight title match. You’d think it was a rib.

I offer no criticism of the match itself or the competitors who are both very good (Jess always has been, Charli has improved out of sight). But there’s suspension of disbelief, and then there’s 2x girls at five foot nothing and 55kgs soaking wet in a heavyweight title match.

I must admit I’ve never really “got” PWA. They have put on a bunch of great matches over the years, but it feels like one big in-joke. The main Victorian promotions are so much more accessible to a casual audience than that.

Also 2 hr 20. 15 min intermission.

Give me this, all the time.

I don't really want to go to shows longer than 2.5 hours. If something regularly goes longer than that, I doubt I'd keep going. Quality over quantity every time. It's one of my favourite things about Renegades, and most of my favourite MCW shows are the shorter ones.

Imagine if you’d never seen Australian wrestling before, and you scored a ticket to see Australia’s (self-described) number 1 promotion, and that was the heavyweight title match. You’d think it was a rib.

I offer no criticism of the match itself or the competitors who are both very good (Jess always has been, Charli has improved out of sight). But there’s suspension of disbelief, and then there’s 2x girls at five foot nothing and 55kgs soaking wet in a heavyweight title match.

I must admit I’ve never really “got” PWA. They have put on a bunch of great matches over the years, but it feels like one big in-joke. The main Victorian promotions are so much more accessible to a casual audience than that.

This event would've drawn a lot of casual WWE fans because of Waller appearing and the press it has got because of the NRL player James Graham, those fans probably aren't expecting Roman Reigns type heavyweight champions but two women wrestling an indy style match for the men's heavyweight title just is confusing to people, someone brought this up in the YouTube chat and was told "Welcome to the indies" which I think is a shit view.

Also if you're not into indy style bangers then there really isn't anything here for you. This is the WrestleMania type show where are the big feud ending matches? Main event was best friend vs best friend and nothing really happened apart from a great match, Waller and Townsend was slapped together quickly and there was no real personal issue or rivalry there, the only other story going into this match which is the James Graham match is also a lazily put together storyline.

Australia's "number 1 promotion" offers fantastic wrestling matches but when it comes to emotional investment, proper booking and compelling content they fall way short.

Went and watched Mayhem Pro tonight in Bacchus Marsh, pretty close to a sold out show and some really solid wrestling. It can be a little sloppy at times, but you also have to take into account that it's a promotion built on a training school and thus the majority of the roster are relatively new with a big chunk having less than 20 matches. But the wrestling has good fundamentals, proper intensity and everyone has characters.

What Mayhem does really well, to the point that I think they might be one of the best feds in the country at it, is building tension and animosity in their stories, the JXT/Erika Reid vs JAB & The Cycle story is the best storyline in Aussie wrestling in a long time. I find JXT to be very hokey at times (part of his charm though?), but here he's a genuinely convincing babyface seeking blood after being wronged.

Give me this, all the time.

I don't really want to go to shows longer than 2.5 hours. If something regularly goes longer than that, I doubt I'd keep going. Quality over quantity every time. It's one of my favourite things about Renegades, and most of my favourite MCW shows are the shorter ones.
So much this. At most 3 hours with a proper intermission. I remember going to that DMDU Wargames show and even though I live barely 10 minutes away, I was literally exhausted by the end of the night and just wanted them to hurry up.

I think this in a way was okay in that they didn't really pwa stuff up. Like sure it wasn't interesting but. We've seen what interesting looks like to them. cough luchi Rogers cough south jordan.

Also triple post because I feel like ruffling feathers, yes PWA has very good wrestling. But it's not the "best" promotion in the country for mine, neither is MCW. The three best promotions in the country for the mix of in ring product, storylines and production are SLAM, RCW and EPW. MCW at their best are close but can be hit and miss on story quality, PWA's biggest issue is that so much of the storytelling seems designed to be for the talent and not the crowd, their stories are often disjointed, make no sense or miss parts along the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back