Roast Ballas and Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

What utter bulldust.How many WAFL players have made all Australian.A select few win a Sandover. Ballas has an AA and a Sandover .Some on here have short memories .
Ballantyne has shown unbelievable courage and spilled more blood for Freo than any other player I can think of.He is suffering a form slump but to denigrate him as a limited WAFL player shows you know nothing about football.

How many goals has he scored in finals? How about away from home?

And where did I say he was a 'limited WAFL' player? He rather is a 'limited AFL player' that needs to bring the pressure element to keep his spot in the 22.

The problem is that his pressure is useless against elite players who don't crumble as often. When playing against Sydney and Hawks he and Mayne pretty leave us with 2 less players.

As to 'knowing nothing about football' I'm not delluded to think Ross loss on purpose.

I won't deny they're both horribly out of form. But I reckon a fair bit of it has to do with the way the whole team has been instructed to play on at all costs. Seemed to work in the first nine rounds until the Tiges figured us out and ever since every other team has played us the same way. Just that the Hawks did it better than anyone else so far on the weekend.

The point we all overlook is that Balla's goal output drops significantly when Sun Sun plays along side him. I would like to see some stats on the point.

It is no coincidence that Balla played great football last year when Walters what laid up with his bad ankle for most of the year.

For what ever reason Sun Sun just cramps his style. I am not sure the problem will go away.

Can anyone dig up some stats showing Balla's goal output with and without Sun Sun in the team? I think it will be very telling.

I think we can all relate to Balla on the point - everyone has someone in their office that they just don't like to work with.

And where did I say he was a 'limited WAFL' player? He rather is a 'limited AFL player' that needs to bring the pressure element to keep his spot in the 22.

The problem is that his pressure is useless against elite players who don't crumble as often. When playing against Sydney and Hawks he and Mayne pretty leave us with 2 less players.

As to 'knowing nothing about football' I'm not delluded to think Ross loss on purpose.

Who in the hell said Freo lost on purpose .If you read my post on the loss I said we might have to get used to the idea that The Hawks are just a better side.
This bullshit that all of a sudden Ross can't coach and some of our better players are spuds is plain stupid.If you haven't noticed Freo are sitting on top of the ladder and you and the other sooks that can't take a loss need to take a long hard look at them selves.

What utter bulldust.How many WAFL players have made all Australian.A select few win a Sandover. Ballas has an AA and a Sandover .Some on here have short memories .
Ballantyne has shown unbelievable courage and spilled more blood for Freo than any other player I can think of.He is suffering a form slump but to denigrate him as a limited WAFL player shows you know nothing about football.
Agreed, bleeds purple and has been an inspiration for a number of seasons.

Having said that, I think he is so far out of form now we need to rest him / send him back to the WAFL to get back some form. At the moment he adds nothing, and is part of the problem with our lack of scoring (along with a pretty much all the forwards except Sonny).

Who in the hell said Freo lost on purpose .If you read my post on the loss I said we might have to get used to the idea that The Hawks are just a better side.
This bullshit that all of a sudden Ross can't coach and some of our better players are spuds is plain stupid.If you haven't noticed Freo are sitting on top of the ladder and you and the other sooks that can't take a loss need to take a long hard look at them selves.

geez you can't see the bigger picture at all.

You're one of those fans who is just happy with a GF appearance. Flag windows are not open every year, when you're in one you need to do all you can.

Because we are sitting on top does not make our current situation in regards to form disappear.
I personally never expected to win last weekends game even when the fixtures came out or even when we were motoring along without having lost a game.
Thankfully our early season form puts us where we are but play like we have over the last 5 or 6 weeks and we will not be in the top 2.
Games against West Coast, Richmond, Port and even our end of season bogey team St Kilda pose a threat.
I can not see Hawthorn or Sydney losing too many games in the run home other than when they play each other.

The point we all overlook is that Balla's goal output drops significantly when Sun Sun plays along side him. I would like to see some stats on the point.

It is no coincidence that Balla played great football last year when Walters what laid up with his bad ankle for most of the year.

For what ever reason Sun Sun just cramps his style. I am not sure the problem will go away.

Can anyone dig up some stats showing Balla's goal output with and without Sun Sun in the team? I think it will be very telling.

I think we can all relate to Balla on the point - everyone has someone in their office that they just don't like to work with.

I don't think they have much problem playing together, and there's the counter theory that says a team might be able to shut down one of them but rarely both of them.

Ballas doubled his goalscoring output in the latter half of the 2012 season (21 of his 31 for the year) after Walters came into the side in Round 12. They both had good years in 2013. At the end of 2014 in Rounds 22 and 23 when they were back in the team together for the first time since Round 3 of that year, Ballas kicked 3 & 4 goals in those two weeks, and Walters 3 & 3.

Maybe Walters has been used a bit as the main forward at times this year (similar I suppose to the 3rd quarter of the 2013 GF) and has hit the scoreboard a bit that way...Ross actually said in one game that he put Walters to full forward, along with the goals that he pulls out of his proverbial, whereas Ballas seems to be missing a lot of his (more than) half chances this year.

Last edited:

Ballas and Walters goalkicking stats:

Ballas: 190 goals / 118 games (1.61 per game)

Walters: 124 / 64 (1.94)

Ballas and Walters together: Ballas 77 / 51 (1.51), Walters 103 / 51 (2.02).

Ballas without Walters: 113 / 67 (1.69).

Walters without Ballas: 21 / 13 (1.62).

Freo win / loss with Ballas and Walters:

Ballas: 78-1-39 (66.5%)

Walters: 44-1-19 (69.5%)

When both play: 38-1-12 (75.5%)

Ballas only plays: 40-27 (59.7%)

Walters only plays: 6-7 (46.2%).

Freo since rd 11, 2009 (Walters’ debut): 87-1-57 (60.3%).

Freo since rd 11, 2009 when neither Ballas or Walters played: 3-11 (21.4%).

Last edited:
Ballas and Walters goalkicking stats:

Ballas: 190 goals / 118 games (1.61 per game)

Walters: 124 / 64 (1.94)

Ballas and Walters together: Ballas 77 / 51 (1.51), Walters 103 / 51 (2.02).

Ballas without Walters: 113 / 67 (1.69).

Walters without Ballas: 21 / 13 (1.62).

Freo win / loss with Ballas and Walters:

Ballas: 78-1-39 (66.5%)

Walters: 44-1-19 (69.5%)

When both play: 38-1-12 (75.5%)

Ballas only plays: 40-27 (59.7%)

Walters only plays: 6-7 (46.2%).

Freo since rd 11, 2009 (Walters’ debut): 87-1-57 (60.3%).
Great stats. Thank you for digging this up.

I guess I stand corrected. The teams win loss is much better when they both play - albeit balla does kick less goals

I like the idea of bringing Ballantyne up to play in the midfield brigade, our ability to chase down our opponents once they start to spread is pretty limited when you look at Mundy, Barlow, Neale, even the great Fyfe doesn't apply great pressure. Throwing Ballantyne in there might be quite a master stroke.

We tried it 1-2 years ago and he couldn't find the pill often enough, now Fyfe and co. have matured I wonder if it will work better. He does know how to create space with a shimmy. Is not easy to tackle due to his size and evasiveness and he won't need to create space on a lead or block guys 20kg heavier and a foot taller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't handle this any more I really can't. We could finally win our first premiership but it may slip by. This is too much for me to handle.
Look on the bright side - things looked horrific 2007-08, as if the club wouldn't challenge or even make finals for a decade. It was as swift a turnaround as you could hope, from a club that no one would have believed could engineer it. Whatever comes in the short term, the setup that now exists at Freo is as professional as any in the league.

Then this is a coaching issue rather than a player issue.

The amount of times vs Brisbane that Clarke, Pavlich, and Taberner were standing in a triangle within 15m of each other with no movement whatsoever was very annoying to watch and must have been extremely frustrating for the midfielders looking to hit someone up.

So much this! I know this is off thread completely but the communication/understanding down there must be appalling, no one seems to know who is meant to be the hit up target when we are moving it forwards. And it's not just once or twice a game, it's bloody consistently throughout a match.

geez you can't see the bigger picture at all.

You're one of those fans who is just happy with a GF appearance. Flag windows are not open every year, when you're in one you need to do all you can.
Mate, of all people, you can't assert that salim doesn't know what he's talking about. Pull your head in. It's you who needs to take a minute to look at the bigger picture.

Mate, of all people, you can't assert that salim doesn't know what he's talking about. Pull your head in. It's you who needs to take a minute to look at the bigger picture.

lol what.

Salim has been called out many times by users in here... I'm not the only who disagrees with many of his opinions.

I do agree that he might need to be dropped and a real kick up the a$$ but calling ballas a "limited afl player" is a poor call. He is out of form and needs to find it ASAP but if last year is any indication, he is a game breaker for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Ballas and Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back