Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh gawd... I don't how anybody can sit through the AUSSIE AUSSSIE AUSSIE Channel 7(maaaaate) coverage with Romping Wins and all these f**king teary interviews with the families and "We're so proud of you... blah blah blah"... What a wank. And what's with the promos for the American stars? Are we supposed to barrack for them because we live in District 12 of the U.S. Empire ? Pfft.

I've enjoyed watching the live coverage of of the moguls and alpine races on my laptop with the non-Aussie, non-American-centric commentary. But the generic Channel 7 coverage can f**k right off. They make me hate the Olympics. Their whole blinkered green and gold take on everything is pathetic. There are so many great stories being played out over these 2 weeks, but Channel 7 basically ignore 99% of them because they're not from Australia.

It's cool for the athletes to be proud of representing their country and for the gold medalists to shed a tear while hearing their national anthem. But all the flag-waving and nationalism that the Olympics engenders in the TV spectators around the world is huge load of shiiit. I'm just as happy for a 19yo Japanese girl or a 36yo dude from Norway to achieve their dream as I am for any of the Aussies.

I don't think I'm any different to most people. I just think it's mainly something the media does to boost the ratings... TV hosts around the world pumping up the athletes from their own countries to make viewers barrack for them like it's their football team. It's just a crappy lens to view the Olympics through. Sure... Go Aussie go, but I like to get behind everyone when I'm watching.

Last edited:
It is not hard to broadcast an Olympics. Show as much live action as you can and if there are any gaps you can use these moments to put all these other interviews/replays/medal ceremonies. Jakara Anthony must have had 5 separate interviews with Channel 7 in the 24 hours after she won gold. Next week she will probably have the displeasure of an hour in the studio with Hamish fawning all over her

I've been watching Jaclyn Narracott's training runs in the skeleton on 7+.

Not sure if 7 twitter account person just stuffed up but this is her 5th training run of 6. Or is it the first one 7 has shown??

She started the first 3 runs with 11th, 3rd and 11th and has gone backward since then. She won a World Cup event in St Moritz in mid January and is an outside chance for a minor medal, but I thought she might make the top 10.

Below is vision of her 5th training run, she finished 14th and an hour later finished 18th in the 6th run. She is struggling to the handle the tail of the snow dragon turn which, I think is the 13th of 15 turns. But so have the majority of the luge (both male and female) and skelton competitors struggled with it. 7 show the luge late at night usually around 12.30-1am EST.

Her first two runs are Friday early arvo and last 2 are late Saturday night. Somehow ex Ch 7 sports reporter Mark Doran has got himself a gig as the english international feed caller and pretty sure he also got the gig in Pyeongchang.

It is not hard to broadcast an Olympics. Show as much live action as you can and if there are any gaps you can use these moments to put all these other interviews/replays/medal ceremonies. Jakara Anthony must have had 5 separate interviews with Channel 7 in the 24 hours after she won gold. Next week she will probably have the displeasure of an hour in the studio with Hamish fawning all over her
she'll probably be a special guest on Sunrise.

Oh gawd... I don't how anybody can sit through the AUSSIE AUSSSIE AUSSIE Channel 7(maaaaate) coverage with Romping Wins and all these f**king teary interviews with the families and "We're so proud of you... blah blah blah"... What a wank. And what's with the promos for the American stars? Are we supposed to barrack for them because we live in District 12 of the U.S. Empire ? Pfft.

I've enjoyed watching the live coverage of of the moguls and alpine races on my laptop with the non-Aussie, non-American-centric commentary. But the generic Channel 7 coverage can f**k right off. They make me hate the Olympics. Their whole blinkered green and gold take on everything is pathetic. There are so many great stories being played out over these 2 weeks, but Channel 7 basically ignore 99% of them because they're not from Australia.

It's cool for the athletes to be proud of representing their country and for the gold medalists to shed a tear while hearing their national anthem. But all the flag-waving and nationalism that the Olympics engenders in the TV spectators around the world is huge load of shiiit. I'm just as happy for a 19yo Japanese girl or a 36yo dude from Norway to achieve their dream as I am for any of the Aussies.

I don't think I'm any different to most people. I just think it's mainly something the media does to boost the ratings... TV hosts around the world pumping up the athletes from their own countries to make viewers barrack for them like it's their football team. It's just a crappy lens to view the Olympics through. Sure... Go Aussie go, but I like to get behind everyone when I'm watching.

Very well said .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2 seconds into that final: 'Good start by Brockhoff'

4 seconds into that final: 'Mistake by Brockhoff'

Perfect example of why commentators need to calm the flip down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back