Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I am more thinking Broomy now has a hell of a job to get a game. 3 players have just gone ahead of him in the pecking order in Treloar, Aish and Howe. He doesn't get a game ahead of any of them. He wasn't quite best 22 before that. In hindsight Freeman and Kennedy have seen the writing on the wall and realised it will be tough to break into Collingwoods midfield.

Broomy has a bit to offer but where does he slot in .

He'll be fighting against Fasolo, Blair and Elliott initially, eventually looking to push out Crisp/De Goey as probably the two weakest mids we have atm. Who knows what will happen, personally I hope he can get a full pre-season and season under his belt and really come on to be a replacement for Sidebottom in case things go poorly with his contract talks. Let's be honest though, generally younger players come out of nowhere and unexpectedly knock a cemented best 22 player off their perch, it's just a matter of who and it will likely be a surprise.

ok, so RED-DO

FB Marsh Brown Scharenberg
HB Williams Reid Pendlebury
C Varcoe Treloar Crisp
HF Howe Moore Elliott
FF Fasolo Cloke White
Foll Grundy Adams Aish
Int De Goey Swan Greenwood Langdon

Christ I just realised I don't have Sidebottom, Broomhead, Sinclair, Toovey, Frost, Witts, Maynard, Ramsay and a couple of others in there

B Williams brown toovey
Hb scharenberg Reid Langdon
C varcoe pendles sidebottom
Hf swan moore de goey
F elliott cloke fasalo
Foll grundy Adams treloar
Inter goldy greenwood crisp Broomhead.
Emerg Maynard Blair Aish witts howe

Greenwood is no longer best 22 IMO. He's stressing about it right now.

I'd play Pendlebury, Swan, Adams, Treloar, Sidebottom Crisp, De Goey, Aish and Broomhead before i play him.

Quality back up inside MID now is the way I see it. He'll get games, but not week in week out. Not enough strings to his bow.

Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Treloar

hqdefault.jpg

ok, so RED-DO

C Varcoe Treloar Crisp
HF Howe Moore Elliott
FF Fasolo Cloke White
Foll Grundy Adams Aish

Christ I just realised I don't have Sidebottom, Broomhead, Sinclair, Toovey, Frost, Witts, Maynard, Ramsay and a couple of others in there

Dude Sidebottom is definite best 22, he's best 5.

B Williams Brown Toovey
CHB Scharenberg Reid Langdon
C Varcoe Pendles Sidebottom
CHF Swan Moore Degoey
F Elliott Cloke Broomhead
Foll Grundy Adams Treloar
Int Howe Greenwood Crisp Aish

Maynard & Marsh are the next cabs off the rank.

B Williams Brown Toovey
C Varcoe Pendles Sidebottom
CHF Swan Moore Degoey
Int Howe Greenwood Crisp Aish

Maynard & Marsh are the next cabs off the rank.
This looks pretty spot on. I'd probably slot Ramsay in Tooves' position.

Jeez Maynard is stiff though, Fasolo too. Obviously a good problem to have though!!

B Langdon brown Frost
Hb scharenberg Reid Williams.
C varcoe pendles sidebottom
Hf swan moore de goey
F elliott cloke fasalo
Foll grundy Adams treloar
Inter Howe greenwood crisp Maynard.
Emerg Goldy Blair Aish witts Toovs

Super hard job for the selectors next year if the squad can all remain fit. Man I hope tha side gels quickly - could be a very good year.

Backline:
Williams Brown Maynard
Scharenberg Reid Langdon

Midfield:
Adams Pendles Treloar
Crisp Sidebottom

Ruck: Grundy

Forward line:
Fasolo Moore Swan
Elliott Cloke Varcoe

Interchange:
Howe De Goey Greenwood Aish

A Few notes:
*The backline is balanced with 2 talls, 2 medium and 2 small defenders. This means Marsh has to wait or work hard for a spot as barring injuries we already have to push Reid back to allow Cloke-Moore-Howe to play in the same team. Also Toovey's spot is taken by Maynard with Williams going back to a more lock down role on the pacey small forward (although I believe Toovey will be there Round 1, this is just how I hope to see it). Ramsay is competing for the same spot as Williams, Maynard and Toovey. Oxley and Goldsack may get a chance depending on Langdon and Scharenberg's performances.

*The competition in the midfield is insane: There are 6 spots in a midfield with 2 or 3 on the bench and some rotating forward. We'll have to go back to a heavy midfield rotations game as we had in 2010-2011. The only true unmovable players are Pendles, Treloar, Sidebottom. We then have 7 player competing for the remaining 3 + 2 spots in Adams/Swan/Greenwood/Aish/Crisp/De Goey/Broomhead. I see Swan spending more time at half forward and probably De Goey too, but the players who will be best placed will be the ones showing an ability inside and out, to play on a wing and half forward.

*I believe we shouldn't play Witts and Grundy in the same team. Competition there should be on the basis of whole games as #1 rucks. Give Grundy a run, and if he tires or drops in performance, give Witts a run, and so on. Ultimately I think we're still too young and immature in the ruck but there's nothing we can do about it anymore and we should look to develop both as #1 and offload one at the end of the season, being most likely Witts. I really hope the club has abandoned the idea of playing both in the team, there is simply no place and the abolition of the sub rule is not a reason to go back to archaic set ups.

*Varcoe should play more of a role at half forward but also rotate in the backline to provide relief as we'll be midfield heavy on the bench, and I believe Elliott and Fasolo are both part of our best forward line, with Cloke and Elliott the unmovable players and Moore helping out in the ruck for 20% of the games. The forward line is probably where competition is bit more vague, with White competing for the second tall forward/ruck role with Moore, and then only someone like Abbott, Macaffer, Blair or Broomhead would look to be added to the group, however I believe Broomhead is a mid first and plays his best games in the midfield on a wing.

I'd play Pendlebury, Swan, Adams, Treloar, Sidebottom Crisp, De Goey, Aish and Broomhead before i play him.

Quality back up inside MID now is the way I see it. He'll get games, but not week in week out. Not enough strings to his bow.

Run with role.

With less interchanges, it'll be again easier to get on-top of opponents. I think the run with/'tagger' role will come back in vogue, and Greenwood is the perfect candidate, elite endurance, solid body and a proven track record (look what he did to Selwood at the end of the year). Got big expectations of him next year, and the more grunt work he's doing with Adams allows Pendles, Treloar and Sidey off the chain..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B Williams Brown Marsh

C Swan Pendles Sidebottom

CHF Varcoe Moore Degoey

Int Fasolo Greenwood Crisp Aish

Emergency Howe, Macaffer, Witts, Oxley

TBH, Blair, Tooves, Goldsack would all be up for trade next year for me.. I'd try and get us some high end draft picks back up. I want to see Howe prove himself in the role we want him to have in the VFL first.. Still so inconsistent.

Geez it's really hard to pick. We've got so many uncertainties, young unprovens and older fading stalwarts.. who will step up? who will fade out? who will disappoint and and who will surprise? Who will be Buck's favorites? Who will get injured?

Williams Brown Langdon
Maynard Marsh Sinclair
Treloar Pendles Sidebottom
Swan White Elliot
Reid Cloke Fasolo

Grundy Adams Crisp

Int: Varco, Moore, Greenwood, De Goey

It's the players you can't fit into a team that tells you how good your list is.. Sinclair, Ramsay, Goldsack, Witts, Howe, Aish, Blair, McCaffer, Marsh, Scharenberg, Oxley, Toovey. Broomhead. That's some decent backup playing VFL! Then we got Keefe, Thomas, Goodyear, Abbott, Cox and ok Gault. Hopefully Hine can work some later pick magic again!

I think Cox is pretty likely to be upgraded now.

If Greenwood can play consistently like he did for the few games he played this year he is a walk into our best 22 in that tagging role. He showed amazing intensity in those games. Only matched by Varcoe I reckon (in terms of intensity).

ok, so RED-DO

C Varcoe Treloar Crisp
HF Howe Moore Elliott
FF Fasolo Cloke White
Foll Grundy Adams Aish

Don't worry, there will be injuries...

Don't worry, there will be injuries...

....and it's a long season that has seen us drop away in the second half recently. So, with Buck's rotating squad can we cover injuries? It looks like the Backs and Mids are covered. We've kept the three Rucks. It looks like a KPF injury will be hard to cover still.

Alright I'll have a go.

B: Williams, Brown, Langdon
HB: Varcoe, Reid, Scharenberg
C: Treloar, Greenwood, Sidebottom
HF: Howe, Cloke, Crisp
F: Elliott, Moore, Swan
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams
Int: De Goey, Aish, Broomhead, Witts
Emerg: Fasolo, Frost, Marsh

Toovey, Blair & Sinclair will likely get a spot somewhere, they seem to be favourites of Bucks.
Frost in when the opposition plays tall up forward. Could start for Scharenberg anyway, but I'd expect Shaz to be best 22 at some stage.
Fas and Howe battling for a spot up forward. I rate Broomhead, looked superb when fit.

Marsh, Oxley, Maynard & Ramsay would hopefully be applying plenty of pressure.
Goldsack and Macaffer are now depth?
We are batting deep now......

Jesse White will be interesting. Would love him step-up to another level, but I just can't see it happening. Would like Gault to go past him.

Goodyear will need to show something.

SIDE NOTE:
How good does TRELOAR look in our side? ****ing thrilled to bits with that.
AISH has incredible potential, and HOWE is an excitement machine.
AND ALL THREE WANT TO BE HERE!

So pumped for 2016, more so than after any other trade week.

Bring it.

B: Williams - Brown - Langdon
HB: Scharenberg - Reid - Maynard
C: Varcoe - Adams - Sidebottom
HF: Swan - Cloke - Elliott
F: Moore - Howe - De Goey
R: Grundy - Pendlebury - Treloar
INT: Greenwood - Aish - Crisp - Marsh
E: Frost - Goldsack - Fasolo

That team is going to eat some babies.

I'd imagine mine looks pretty similar to most.

B: Williams - Brown - Langdon
HB: Maynard - Reid - Scharenberg
C: Varcoe - Adams - Sidebottom
HF: Elliott - Cloke - Howe
F: Fasolo - Moore - Swan
R: Grundy - Treloar - Pendlebury
INT: De Goey, Aish, Crisp, Marsh

I am absolutely frothing over this side. I'd love to make room for Greenwood, but I just can't! I will very disappointed to see guys like Goldsack, Toovey, Blair, Sinclair, Macaffer etc holding out any of the guys I just named.

As if Josh Thomas' position was already in jeopardy, he is going to have improve SIGNIFICANTLY if he is to break into that midfield.

How can Toovey still be best 22 with all our young gun defenders?

Terrible skills and his stopping ability is getting worse.

It's his last year for mine

It's a good problem to have.

The club still seems to rate him quite highly, after round 20 in the copeland he was top 10 and only 4 points behind Varcoe who we all agree was fantastic, so the possum had to be doing something right.

I think it'll be deep into the preseason before i can make best 22 predictions, I really have no idea, and that's brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back