B: McMahon, Thompson, Grima
HB: Macmillan, Hansen, Mullett
C: Atley, Ziebell, Dal Santo
HF: Wells, Tarrant, Harvey
F: Black, Petrie, Thomas
R: Goldstein, Cunnington, Bastinac
I: Gibson, Jacobs, Adams
S: McDonald

Isn't this the posts your favourites thread?
Well around this time of year the best 22 threads have merit as the season just finished influences alot of opinion. Its not until the fluff pieces and footy withdrawls of the summer start until we start to see some outlandish ones. Until then its poor trolling.
Any poster with a level head who knows their team intimately enough to be aware of how season 2013 finished i.e McMahon in the magoos, Spud signed as depth, Gibson in our best 5 players, Swallow on crutches, Daw with surgery on PCL, etc would use that accordingly in their opinion.

McMahon in the magoos, Spud signed as depth, Gibson in our best 5 players, Swallow on crutches, Daw with surgery on PCL, etc would use that accordingly in their opinion.

You know this about Spud? I think some are premature in writing him off.

Gibson is not in our best 5 players, whether the Syd medal suggests that or otherwise.

McMahon could be a suprise packet if he gets fit and confidence back.

I believe Swallow is still aiming for Rd 1, but agree highly unlikely.

On Daw, I re watched our five point loss to Hawthorn and the after the siren loss to West Coast over the last week.

For second and sixth games they were more than serviceable. Add to that his quarter against Brisbane and his six goals against the Dogs I just can't understand why people think he is not a lock for our future.

I think some people around here hold him up to much higher standards than other sub six gamers and do not acknowledge the fact that he has improved 100% in each and every year he has been at North.

Sure he has things he needs to work on still, but so does 75% of our list.

You know this about Spud? I think some are premature in writing him off.

Gibson is not in our best 5 players, whether the Syd medal suggests that or otherwise.

McMahon could be a suprise packet if he gets fit and confidence back.

I believe Swallow is still aiming for Rd 1, but agree highly unlikely.

I would suggest that unless you know what orders he has from the coach, then you are talking out of your hat.

GMCPUPEDED%CGCMGAI50MI5CLR501%BOTOG%
Total 22 108 370 368 77.3 46 1 11 57 9 38 28 9 1 1736
Average 22 4.9 16.8 16.7 77.3 2.1 0 0.5 2.6 0.4 1.7 1.3 0.4 0 78.9

Now, let us compare him to a few others, shall we?

Saint NDS
Total 22 193 338 392 71.8 49 5 11 50 4 75 58 23 33 1876
Average 22 8.8 15.4 17.8 71.8 2.2 0.2 0.5 2.3 0.2 3.4 2.6 1.0 1.5 85.3

Silky Daniel Wells
Total 22 185 286 338 72.2 48 3 18 101 14 98 29 30 24 1714
Average 22 8.4 13.0 15.4 72.2 2.2 0.1 0.8 4.6 0.6 4.4 1.3 1.4 1.1 77.9

It seems to me that his stats stand along side these two pretty well.

Yes, he makes mistakes, but so do all players. Some of the howlers from our 'stars' are perhaps more inexcusable than from players like Gibson.

He WAS top five this year. And unless there is a big change of heart from the coach, there are going to be alot of disappointed people on BF.

Me, I will be as happy as a pig in shit watching him run around for the next few years; with a flag to his name, of course.

Gibbo won me over in the game against Collingwood. There was a contest on the outer wing and the ball was kicked to a contest inside 50. The ball was rebounded and the only North player there to receive it was Gibbo. On the opposite wing.
The gut running and want to work hard is incredible. This is why the coaches love him. Hell play round 1. Gets the most out of himself and is working on his disposal. Should be a fan favourite.

I have absolutely no problem with Gibson in best 22. For the reasons above, especially his hard running, consistency and providing an option, is very admirable.

But if he is a better player than Wells, Thompson, Goldstein, Harvey and Swallow (until injured), let alone a few others including Zeibell, Petrie, Mullett, LT and Cunnington, then I must be watching a different Gibson.

B: Mullett, Thompson, Grima
HB: Macmillan, Hansen, McKenzie
C: Atley, Ziebell, Dal Santo
HF: Harvey, Petrie, Adams
F: Black, Tarrant, Thomas
R: Goldstein, Wells, Cunnington
I: Gibson, Garner, Bastinac
S: McDonald

Em: SWALLOW (comeback captain when you're ready), Cam Delaney (tall back), McMahon (small back), Greenwood (inside mid), Jacobs (in/out mid), Harper (forward/mid), Wood (medium forward), Daw (tall forward/second ruck), Currie (ruck)

Will Wood have a full preseason? I think we could see a fair bit of him in 2014. He's already got the tank to play.

We really need to think about playing a 2nd ruckman to support Goldy. Currie has to come into calculations early in the season. Goldy was out on his feet in some of those close games we lost after rucking for 95% of the game. We can't do that to him again. He needs to be able to get to more contests later in the game. In a 30 minute quarter I would have him 10 on - 10 off - 10 on.

Round 1

Mullet Thompson Hanson
Atley Grima McMahon
Wells Ziebell Dal Santo
Harvey Black Adams
Thomas Petrie Tarrent
Goldy Cunnington Bastinac

Int: Currie, Gibson, McDonald
Sub: McKenzie

I would like McDonald to get to start in his 1st game.

Swallow to replace Gibson when fit. Or Bastinac to HFF and Adams out. Adams should not get the run he did in 2013 if he has a similar year. Carried for far too long.

Would love to see McDonald end up replacing Atley or Mulett to allow one of these two to push into the midfield. Wells could also play the quarter back role to release one.

Grima fit is important - I hope they can manage his back better.

The 4 players that have to be good early to hold their spots are Adams, Gibson, McMahon and Tarrent.

Would like to see Harper and Garner really start to press for a game.

I think there are a few that will struggle to get games in 2014 if we are fit - McMillan, Jacobs, Wright, Greenwood, Anthony, Firrito & Sierra.

Should be a good year.

In all these permutations we've got to remember that Firrito, McMahon, Daw, Wright, Tarrant, Grima & Adams were carrying injuries to various degrees when they played in 2013. They should all be in much better nick in 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if we started with a super experienced side and then gradually introduced the kids. If so, Rd 1 could look like:

HB: Firrito, Hansen, Mullett
C: Wells, Cunnington, Dal Santo
R: Goldstein, Ziebell, Swallow
HF: Harvey, Black, Adams
F: Tarrant, Petrie, Thomas
I: Bastinac, Atley, Gibson, Greenwood
E: Macmillan, Wright, Daw, Delaney, McDonald, McKenzie, Harper, Currie, Jacobs, Hine, Wood, Garner, Karnezis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a lack of experience in the back 6 Arjen
Grima is a lock
Daw is a mystery, unstoppable but can he play AFL successfully ?? he is basically Folau revisited ATM
Wright is confusing too, has actually contributed a lot on occasion but other times seems too slow
a better defender one on one than a few of them, maybe take spuds spot?

Regi my friend
You are spot on
But with our mids increasing the endurance I would expect them to
Drop back and flood and
Continue with our attempt at playing
Like Sydney
And their slingshot football
Which of course we became quite adept at.

I have absolutely no problem with Gibson in best 22. For the reasons above, especially his hard running, consistency and providing an option, is very admirable.

But if he is a better player than Wells, Thompson, Goldstein, Harvey and Swallow (until injured), let alone a few others including Zeibell, Petrie, Mullett, LT and Cunnington, then I must be watching a different Gibson.

Top 5??

Rofl

He is half as good as Bastinac.

In all these permutations we've got to remember that Firrito, McMahon, Daw, Wright, Tarrant, Grima & Adams were carrying injuries to various degrees when they played in 2013. They should all be in much better nick in 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if we started with a super experienced side and then gradually introduced the kids. If so, Rd 1 could look like:

HB: Firrito, Hansen, Mullett
C: Wells, Cunnington, Dal Santo
R: Goldstein, Swallow, Bastinac
HF: Harvey, Black, Adams
F: Tarrant, Petrie, Thomas
I: Macmillan, Atley, Gibson, Greenwood
E: Wright, Daw, Delaney, McDonald, McKenzie, Harper, Currie, Jacobs, Hine, Wood, Garner, Karnezis
Ziebell scratched for Lake's hit on Walters?

B: Grima, Thompson, MacMillan
HB: McDonald, Hansen, Mullet,
C: Atley, Ziebell, Gibson
HF: Thomas, Tarrant, Harvey
F: Black, Petrie, Adams
Ruck: Goldstein, Cunnington, Wells, Dal Santo
I/C: McKenzie, Bastinac, Hine
Sub: Harper

This is my 2014 player ranking:

1) Scott Thompson
2) Danial Wells
3) Todd Goldstein
4) Andrew Swallow
5) Jack Ziebell
6) Drew Petrie
7) Nick Dal Santo
8) Brent Harvey
9) Ben Cunnington
10) Aaron Black
11) Lindsay Thomas
12) Aaron Mullet
13) Lachlan Hanson
14) Ryan Bastanic
15) Nathan Grima
16) Sam Gibson
17) Shaun Atley
18) Robbie Tarrant
19) Scott McMahon
20) Leigh Adams
21) Brad McKenzie
22) Luke McDonald
23) Sam Wright
24) Jamie McMillan
25) Michael Firrito
26) Taylor Hine
28) Taylor Garner
29) Daniel Currie
30) Majak Daw
31) Levi Greenwood
32) Cam Delaney
33) Kieran Harper
34) Will Sierakowski
35) Jordan Gysberts
36) Liam Anthony

1) Scott Thompson
2) Danial Wells
3) Todd Goldstein
4) Andrew Swallow
5) Jack Ziebell
6) Drew Petrie
7) Nick Dal Santo
8) Brent Harvey
9) Ben Cunnington
10) Aaron Black
11) Lindsay Thomas
12) Aaron Mullet
13) Lachlan Hanson
14) Ryan Bastanic
15) Nathan Grima
16) Sam Gibson
17) Shaun Atley
18) Robbie Tarrant
19) Scott McMahon
20) Leigh Adams
21) Brad McKenzie
22) Luke McDonald
23) Sam Wright
24) Jamie McMillan
25) Taylor Hine
26) Taylor Garner
27) Daniel Currie
28) Majak Daw
29) Cam Delaney
30) Levi Greenwood
31) Cam Delaney
32) Kieran Harper
33) Will Sierakowski
34) Jordan Gysberts
35) Liam Anthony
A lot of people have very short memories of how good Leigh Adams is when fit.

and how about Mullett above Hansen and bastio_O

mullet seems alrite to good without being anything fabulously special IMO
better than atley? cant be right

and how about Mullett above Hansen and bastio_O

mullet seems alrite to good without being anything fabulously special IMO
better than atley? cant be right

Mullet went past Atley in 2013.

I also think he will go past Basti and Hansen next year. I disagree I think he looks special. His kicking for goal from outside 50 in incredible. He could be very damaging if we can push him into the midfield. Would love to see him having 5 shots at goal instead of one a game.

snip

I reckon you are almost spot on.

Where's Spud though? Surely better than (actual spuds) like Siera and Gizza!? He might not be best 22, but a big body and passion is still needed, and Spud provides that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 for Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back