Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't give first shot to Worpel because he played good footy 3 years ago. Plus coming back from injury.
His confidence would be shot if he got dropped after a stinker in round 1. Take the pressure off, put in a solid block of games in the VFL and then come in to the side when ready.

Rather give it to Stephens who earned a call up in Geelongs premiership side last year.

He's had three poor to average seasons in a row following his great 2019. That's not so much temporary form, as it is a prolonged three year period which encompasses the majority of his career to date.

The main issue that I can see is I don't know how we fit all of Nash, Worpel and Stephens into the same side.

Hardwick - ????? - ?????
Scrimshaw - Sicily - CJ

Ruck - Newcombe - Ward
Amon - ????? - Day

Moore - ????? - MacDonald
Breust - Lewis - Wingard

Ruck - Impey - ????? - ?????

Two of those spots will be taken by - Blanck, DGB, Frost, Jeka or Morris.

One or two forward spots, presumably taken up by - Kosi, Butler or Brockman.

By my count we will have two or three midfield spots open for - Maginess, Nash, Worpel and Stephens to push for.

Nice. I had a go at filling it in.

Hardwick - FROST - DAY
Scrimshaw - Sicily - CJ

Ruck - Newcombe - Ward
Amon - Stephens - WEDDLE

Moore - GREENE - MacDonald
Breust - Lewis - Wingard

Ruck - Impey - ????? - ?????

I left the bench open but if like to see Mackenzie in there.

I think we will stick with Frost for size/experience with Blanck on his heels. Day can move back, maybe swap with Scrimshaw so he can run. Weddle is ready to go and so is Stephens. Greene might be left field but I want to see him given a chance.

Can't give first shot to Worpel because he played good footy 3 years ago. Plus coming back from injury.
His confidence would be shot if he got dropped after a stinker in round 1. Take the pressure off, put in a solid block of games in the VFL and then come in to the side when ready.

Rather give it to Stephens who earned a call up in Geelongs premiership side last year.
Stephens played in Premiership ? Wha? Yeah nah

To be fair, no one's really thinking match ups for the opponent we're facing. Sure, Sam will pick on form, but he'll have match ups in mind.

When I think of Frost, I think of 2MP. Then I think, he's absolutely not in my R1 team.
When was the last time we picked a player for a specific match up? If Frost is in the best team he's in the best team, you wouldn't leave him out for Rd 1 if he was, regardless of who he was matched on. It was just like everyone at the start of last year saying we'd sub in Hartigan for taller match ups but we never did.

For me, it’s an either/or proposition. You can’t have both Maginess and Nash playing in same midfield group. ideally you’d want both to develop their attacking game. I think of a guy like Cameron Ling- defensively elite but he could also hurt you the other way.
Well if they both “develop their attacking game” then they can both easily remain in the midfield group ….that they were both already comfortably in whilst TOM and JOM were in the team in 2022.

So yes, you actually can and you explained why in your post.

Odd concept, but why not just pick on pre-season form?

Newk and Moore would have to have a leg cut off to not get a gig, but everyone else needs to prove themselves (to some extent).

If Worpel is doing the right things, he gets picked. If not, he plays VFL.

No one is saying that.

But, for all the “he’s behind so many other now” posts, I think that’s just baloney.

He doesn’t have to jump through any more or any less hoops than every other midfielder, but he does have far more exposed form than players like Long and Maginness as examples.

He doesn’t have to jump through any more or any less hoops than every other midfielder, but he does far more exposed form than players like Long and Maginness as examples.
Firstly, I'd say he has to jump through more hoops as you put it because he's not in the 'A' midfield group - Duke, Ward, Nash, Stephens, Moore/Wingard and secondly his exposed form is second-rate (at best) in the last two years.

Firstly, I'd say he has to jump through more hoops as you put it because he's not in the 'A' midfield group - Duke, Ward, Nash, Stephens, Moore/Wingard and secondly his exposed form is second-rate (at best) in the last two years.
What "A" midfield group is this?

The one you just made up?

Odd concept, but why not just pick on pre-season form?

Newk and Moore would have to have a leg cut off to not get a gig, but everyone else needs to prove themselves (to some extent).

If Worpel is doing the right things, he gets picked. If not, he plays VFL.
Only 1 pre-season game I believe. Won't have much of an opportunity.

Can't wait for the intraclub, will he be in the probable's or the possibles?

Unfortunately for him hasn't been very versatile as a HFF and we are starting to get some really good ones who want the position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemed the midfield group was split in half honestly. Don't think there was an A/B

What "A" midfield group is this?

The one you just made up?
Yes actually, as it's purely my opinion. I didn't think anyone would believe it was 'official' .. sheesh.
To my mind, Duke, Ward & Nash are automatic inclusions and I've heard enough noises from Sam about Stephens that makes me think he'll be there round one.
The others, including Worpel, aren't in unless they show something in the pre-season (and considering the pre-season is officially just one game - forget it.)

I’ve made it clear I have reservations about Worpel long term, but how can you suggest is he automatically behind Stephens in the pecking order at our club? That’s just silly.

Stephens hasn’t even played a game (yet) for Hawthorn. Yes, I think he should slot into our midfield but until we start playing games that mean something, he hasn’t, and frankly we don’t have an “A” midfield - that’s just fiction.

Last edited:
After watching a lot of the Hawks games live (partner is Hawks member) - what to do about CJ?

He's possibly the AFL's most non-defensive 'defender' and the most 'attacking' defender rolled into one!

He does have huge upside BUT (as always), I have noticed that he is quite poor following his 'man' through congestion, and gets 'lost' sitting under the ball at times.
Certainly GWS gave him pelters when he seemed to short-step a bit at MCG.

Don't get me wrong - he's not afraid of contact - he just seems a bit lost sometimes with the high ball to congestion.

With the absolute abundance of defensive talent on the Hawks list - would CJ be better on the wing or even high half-forward?
Give him 5m and nobody will catch him!

It would give Jeka, DGB and Blanck more opportunities to play alongside Hardwick, Frost and Sicily to learn if CJ went out of defence?

Morris has to stay - Hardwick was a different beast altogether attacking-wise, and would partially offset CJ's move up the ground.

Morris Frost DGB/Bla/Jek
Jek/Bla/DBG Sicily Hardwick

Horses for courses - but CJ up the ground gives scope to play 3 of the 4 tall guys when needed (Frost, DGB, Jeka or Blanck). Scrimshaw on bench - maybe one of these guys will turn into a swingman? You guys do seem to like one.

Lastly - why the big wraps on Max Ramsden? Do you guys see him as a potential forward or ruck forward?

Thanks very much - I'm sure you will win many more than expected. I have you at 6-7 wins, and pushing the 8 in 2024, with 2025 as 'Hoo-Boy - The Hawks are back!"

Plus I have to put up with my partner 'insisting' I accompany her to the Hawks games, so I probably should have some idea about who she is banging in about!

Thanks guys and gals.

I’ve made it clear I have reservations about Worpel long term, but how can you suggest is he automatically behind Stephens in the pecking order at our club? That’s just silly.

Stephens hasn’t even played a game (yet) for Hawthorn. Yes, I think he should slot into our midfield but until we start playing games that mean something, he hasn’t, and frankly we don’t have an “A” midfield - that’s just fiction.
Read my above post.

Firstly, I'd say he has to jump through more hoops as you put it because he's not in the 'A' midfield group - .

So someone posts that Worpel is in exactly the same position as every other mid vying for a position, and you say, categorically, that he will have to "jump through more hoops" than everyone else because he's not in the "A" midfield, then you admit the "A" midfield was your own concoction...and that will have to show more than the others to be selected (which, just quietly, is the set of hoops that EVERY player has to jump through)

Feel free to say that you feel Worpel is behind others in your opinion, but you undermine yourself when you express it like that.

Last edited:
After watching a lot of the Hawks games live (partner is Hawks member) - what to do about CJ?

He's possibly the AFL's most non-defensive 'defender' and the most 'attacking' defender rolled into one!

He does have huge upside BUT (as always), I have noticed that he is quite poor following his 'man' through congestion, and gets 'lost' sitting under the ball at times.

Don't get me wrong - he's not afraid of contact - he just seems a bit lost sometimes with the high ball to congestion.

With the absolute abundance of defensive talent on the Hawks list - would CJ be better on the wing or even high half-forward?

It would give Jeka, DGB and Blanck more opportunities to play alongside Hardwick, Frost and Sicily to learn if CJ went out of defence?

Morris has to stay - Hardwick was a different beast altogether attacking-wise, and would partially offset CJ's move up the ground.

Morris Frost DGB/Bla/Jek

Horses for courses - but CJ up the ground gives scope to play 3 of the 4 tall guys when needed (Frost, DGB, Jeka or Blanck). Scrimshaw on bench - maybe one of these guys will turn into a swingman? You guys do seem to like one.

Lastly - why the big wraps on Max Ramsden? Do you guys see him as a potential forward or ruck forward?

Thanks very much - I'm sure you will win many more than expected. I have you at 6-7 wins, and pushing the 8 in 2024, with 2025 as 'Hoo-Boy - The Hawks are back!"

Plus I have to put up with my partner 'insisting' I accompany her to the Hawks games, so I probably should have some idea about who she is banging in about!

Thanks guys and gals.
I appreciate you come with good intentions but you always focus on CJ. And you always give him back handed complements.

And I don't think you are correct with your analysis. Maybe ask your partner to post?

Morris Frost DGB/Bla/Jek

Thanks guys and gals.
Weird take, CJ kills high balls more often than not. Might get lost in congestion from time to time but what defender doesn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back