C: Sidebottom, Crisp, J.Daicos

HF: Schultz, Mihocek, McCreery

FF: Hill, Mcstay, Elliot

R: Cameron, N.Daicos, De Goey

INT: WHE, Cox, Lipinski, Mitchell, Pendlebury

Emerg: Frampton, Membrey, E.Allan

Last edited:

McStay an option to play CHB?
I'd doubt it. Honestly seems more likely that you could move Mihocek and not harm the forward line structure, but I think he's a little long in the tooth to be picking up a new position at AFL level.

Membrey could theoretically replace a bunch of Mihocek's output, but he absolutely can't do what McStay does, and neither can anyone else on our list. He takes big contested clunks, and he brings the ball down the advantage of our small forwards better than anyone else on the list.

Allan needs to be given games IMO. Even if he’s performances are below the guy he’s replacing ie Sidebottom, Lipinski, WHE.

He’s not going to develop properly simply playing VFL and not being able to string games together at AFL level. That’s before even worrying about him getting itchy feet.
And stop playing him on a wing! At both VFL and AFL level, Allan needs to be played in the centre square. Its his best position and we need to fast-track his development there so that he's a real chance to take over once the likes of Pendles, Mitchell and Sidey sail off into retirement.

Looking at everyone’s sides and I have an expectation that Allan and Parker will be stepping up a level this year, it’s easy to see why Noble and Richards left.

Houston, Perryman and (Membrey back up for injuries) are huge ins.

The best team is very hard to pick.

Steene and Smit will be a good development watch too.

It’s going to be a fun year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Allan needs to be given games IMO. Even if he’s performances are below the guy he’s replacing ie Sidebottom, Lipinski, WHE.

He’s not going to develop properly simply playing VFL and not being able to string games together at AFL level. That’s before even worrying about him getting itchy feet.

Why would we choose to be a bit worse in 2025 in the hope that it might make us a bit better in 2026?

I would play allan ahead of lipinksi, it is clear that the only way for him to improve is by playing in the senior side.
Also I hope IQ comes back just a little bit leaner, will help enhance the speed of our backline with the addition of houston.

Was just a thought. Team has a bit of versatility. I remember him playing down there a while back and looked good. Be great to have someone to support Moore down back.

The possibility of Membrey coming in and playing a role up forward with Mihocek and Cox could give us that flexibility... But I do agree that McStay is a very important cog to our setup up forward.

Definitely excited to see him and Mihocek work in tandem together next year for an extended period.

No 5th player.

So still the sub, it looks like unfortunately

Good

Don’t know why people hate the sub

It literally creates a fairer situation. People only hate it because our club sucks at using it

Good

It literally creates a fairer situation. People only hate it because our club sucks at using it
I like the tactical aspect of it. If used well, it can give one coach a real up on the other. Can change a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good

Its unfair to those being the sub, they dont get full games and have a little time to impact otherwise they may not play the week later. Its unfair on those being subbed out

The AFL is set to retain its much-scrutinised four-man bench and substitute despite strong lobbying from senior players and the player union to eradicate the sub.
The league is still working through potential rule changes for the 2025 season but was thrilled senior coaches and players gave up their time in Grand Final week for a rules and game analysis forum.

At that forum players made clear that they hate the sub and the ramifications for players, much preferring a five-person bench.

Under the current rules the fifth member of the bench is only able to come into the game as the substitute to replace a teammate – either through injury or tactical reasons – who then cannot return to the game.

Players hate being the named sub and hate being subbed off midgame, with Western Bulldogs deputy vice-captain Caleb Daniel leaving the club in part because of his use in that role seven times this year.

Players including Patrick Cripps, Darcy Moore and Sam Frost attended that rules summit and were strong in their dislike for the rule.

They believe players who are the sub or are subbed off are often disadvantaged at selection the next week because of a lack of game time and fitness, with players subbed off struggling to hide their frustration at the decisions.

But the Herald Sun understands the league is set to stick with the four-person interchange bench and sub.

It believes that specific make-up of the bench with a cap of 75 rotations allows for fairness and also the capacity to replace an injured player with a fresh teammate.

Its unfair to those being the sub, they dont get full games and have a little time to impact otherwise they may not play the week later. Its unfair on those being subbed out

So again, your real issue is our use of it

Collingwood use it horribly

It’s a genuine leveller and if used smartly can even be an advantage.

We just don’t use it that way

I like the tactical aspect of it. If used well, it can give one coach a real up on the other. Can change a game.

It seems we’ve far too infrequently gotten to use it as a purely tactical option as we’re all too often forced to replace players injured in-game. Hopefully that tide turns in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 23 in 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back