Prediction 2024 Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling to pick my run on 22 for Opening Round. Logic says that a winning Grand Final team is largely unchanged, therefore you would only have the obvious replacement of Schultz for Ginnivan. That still leaves Lipinski as the Sub from the GF team and based on his preseason form that is unlikely. So, if Lippa comes into the run on side, who goes to the sub position? Quite the quandry.
It's looking more likely that Murphy won't 'get up' for the first game either so a slot becomes available. Does Lippa come in and then we have one of McRae, McInnes or Johnson as the sub? Given GWS' forward line you'd think Dean would come in to replace Murph or Frampton get swung down back, leaving a slot up forward. If Frampton was to be moved down back then you could argue that eithr Reef or AJ comes in. That still leaves the question over the sub. I suspect that we will look for a little more run and carry option in the early rounds so Lippa comes in, WHE stays in and Frampton goes back.

Therefore, my predicted 23 for opening round:

B: Quaynor, Moore, Howe
HB: Maynard, Frampton, Markov
C: Sidebottom, Pendlebury, J. Daicos
HF: Hill, Mihocek, Elliot
F: McCreery, DeGoey, Schultz
R: Cox, N. Daicos, Crisp
Int: Mitchell, Cameron, WHE, Lipinski
Sub: Fin Macrae

Jeez, I'd hate to be a selector!

I'm struggling to pick my run on 22 for Opening Round. Logic says that a winning Grand Final team is largely unchanged, therefore you would only have the obvious replacement of Schultz for Ginnivan. That still leaves Lipinski as the Sub from the GF team and based on his preseason form that is unlikely. So, if Lippa comes into the run on side, who goes to the sub position? Quite the quandry.
It's looking more likely that Murphy won't 'get up' for the first game either so a slot becomes available. Does Lippa come in and then we have one of McRae, McInnes or Johnson as the sub? Given GWS' forward line you'd think Dean would come in to replace Murph or Frampton get swung down back, leaving a slot up forward. If Frampton was to be moved down back then you could argue that eithr Reef or AJ comes in. That still leaves the question over the sub. I suspect that we will look for a little more run and carry option in the early rounds so Lippa comes in, WHE stays in and Frampton goes back.

Therefore, my predicted 23 for opening round:

B: Quaynor, Moore, Howe
HB: Maynard, Frampton, Markov
C: Sidebottom, Pendlebury, J. Daicos
HF: Hill, Mihocek, Elliot
F: McCreery, DeGoey, Schultz
R: Cox, N. Daicos, Crisp
Int: Mitchell, Cameron, WHE, Lipinski
Sub: Fin Macrae

Jeez, I'd hate to be a selector!

I don't think Frampton plays here. I think we go small down back, which we often did last year anyway.
The only change to the above is that we pick AJ/Reef instead of Frampton.

i dont like the idea of going into this game with the only talls in defence being Darcy and Jem Howe (who is not truly a tall defender). We definitely need another genuine tall.
I am not rapt with the idea of Frampton playing purely as a tall defender: i don't think he plays at his best in such a role. To me, he is a second ruck option...he seems to enjoy the flexibility and freedom that such a role entails.
I would be selecting Charlie Dean to make his debut...Why not? He has had a clear preseason, and he is at the age when his body is ready for AFL. If not now, when? In the first round, all teams are slightly off and rusty, - selecting him for Round 1 is not equivalent to throwing him in off the deep end.
I would also give AJ the first crack at filling Dan McStay's role. His athleticism and flashes of brilliance throughout his career thus far have won me over. This is his chance to reach for the stars, and cement his place in the team.

For me, best 23 for Round 1, would include Charlie Dean and Ash Johnson.
Sub : Finn McCrae who has the chance to demonstrate why he should be top 22.
John Noble is a razor's edge from being in contention as well.

The match committee will have some tough decisions when we regain players back from injury in the 2nd half of the season. Now that we've gotten some games into the young blokes, who do folks think will stay in and drop out of the team assuming we have a full line-up to choose from at some point this year?

For me it'd look like this.

FB: Maynard Frampton Howe
HB: Quaynor Moore Noble
C: Sidebottom Crisp Jaicos
HF: Hill McStay Lipinski
FF: Elliott Mihocek Harrison
FOL: Cameron DeGoey Naicos
IC: Pendlebury WHE Mitchell McCreery
SUB: Markov

In: DeGoey Mitchell Pendlebury Mihocek Elliott McStay
Out: Macrae Kreuger Sullivan Schultz Dean Bytel

Cox is unlucky, but Cameron can ruck solo with a chop out from Frampton and McStay.
Mitchell is on a short leash with Sullivan/Macrae breathing down his neck.
Harrison has earned a spot in the starting 18. He's shown more than Schultz, and has more upside. That last spot is between Schultz and McCreery, but McCreery has the runs on the board, but will need to find some form.

The point is, despite the injuries, if we keep winning and develop the younger talent, then we will be much better placed long-term. For the first time, in a very long time, I am okay with our luck in regards to injuries as we are blooding young talent that will prove beneficial.

The match committee will have some tough decisions when we regain players back from injury in the 2nd half of the season. Now that we've gotten some games into the young blokes, who do folks think will stay in and drop out of the team assuming we have a full line-up to choose from at some point this year?

Cox is unlucky, but Cameron can ruck solo with a chop out from Frampton and McStay.
Harrison has earned a spot in the starting 18. He's shown more than Schultz, and has more upside. That last spot is between Schultz and McCreery, but McCreery has the runs on the board, but will need to find some form.
Schultz is one of the first 10 picked right now.

Way too hard to predict at this stage. If it comes down to HH and Schultz, then the more experienced Schultz will get the nod. Oleg is on the edge and freddy might turn out too valuable to drop. Who knows really

I think there will be a couple of coin tosses that we'd see if we had full team back.
1. Cox v Kreuger for third tall / second ruck. Assumes Miho and McStay are the two primary key forwards.
2. Mitchell v Sullivan. Probably can only take one of them in.
3. Harrison v McCreery. Assuming auto ins are Hill, Schultz, Elliott.
4. Noble v Markov.

My team for Round 1 of the 2024 Finals (assuming all available):

B: Quaynor, Moore, Maynard
HB: Howe, Frampton, Noble
C: J Daicos, De Goey, Crisp
HF: Hill, Krueger, Mihocek
F: Elliott, McStay, Schultz
Fol: Cameron, Pendles, N Daicos
Int: Mitchell, Sidebottom, Lipinski, Harrison. Sub: WHE
Unlucky: Cox, McCreery, Sullivan, Richards, Markov.

I had a go at this today-imagining we are playing Sydney in the GF.

Quaynor Frampton Howe

Maynard Moore Noble

J Daicos Pendlebury Sidebottom

Hill Mihocek McCeery

Schultz McStay Elliott

Cameron Degoey N Daicos

Interchange: Cox, Lipinski, WHE, Crisp Krueger, Mitchell, Markov

Sub: Harrison

Very bloody difficult! I'd love to have Richards in there and Krueger in the 23 but they probably miss out. Mitchell might too unless he hits the ground running in 8 weeks' time.

Last edited:
I know Schultz isn't performing on the scoreboard as much as we would like, but there is no question whether he is best 22 or not. Not under the coaches eyes. He does a lot of things within our system they love.
His tackling, chase downs & applied pressure is insane. It's what we love about Bobby, Beau, Billy. It's a crucial part of our forward set up. Oppo defenders must hate our small forwards.

I had a go at this today-imagining we are playing Sydney in the GF.

Quaynor Frampton Howe

Maynard Moore Noble

J Daicos Pendlebury Sidebottom

Hill Mihocek McCeery

Schultz McStay Elliott

Cameron Degoey N Daicos

Interchange: Cox, Lipinski, WHE, Crisp Krueger, Mitchell, Markov

Sub: Harrison

Very bloody difficult! I'd love to have Richards in there and Krueger in the 23 but they probably miss out. Mitchell might too unless he hits the ground running in 8 weeks' time.

A great problem to have!

Will be interesting to see how well Elliott, McStay and Cox return from injury.

If Kreuger stays fit, he could knock Cox out of the Best 23. And Harrison is flying - if he keeps going, he could put McCreery or Markov under serious pressure.

Sadly, other injuries will probably emerge to replace the current ones, so it mightn’t be as difficult later as it seems now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Bytel holding his spot this week. I think he's dropped for the North game.

I'd be really excited to see Reef come back in. Looking at a Reef and Krueger forward line set up could be very interesting for us.

Perhaps tinker with sending Frampton back and trying Howe with the 2. Could look very athletic and dynamic.

The other one that could miss is Markov. I don't think he's provided much for us so far this year. Missed a lot of targets against Melbourne...

In the moment best 23 (ft recency bias for Kreuger)... plenty of water to go under the bridge.

B: B.Maynard - B.Frampton - J.Howe
HB: I.Quaynor - D.Moore - J.Noble
C: S.Sidebottom - S.Pendlebury - J.Daicos
HF: L.Schulz - B.Mihocek - P.Lipinski
F: J.Elliott - D.McStay - B.Hill
R: D.Cameron - J.DeGoey - N.Daicos
I: J.Crisp - W.Hoskin-Elliott - B.McCreery - N.Kreuger
S: H.Harrison

EMG: T.Mitchell - M.Cox - O.Markov - L.Sullivan

The joy of contemplation. If only:
Cox gets himself up for finals and performs well on return - Krueger settles and builds nicely through 2H season.
Richards looks to good to leave out, he was sensational in his three games.
Harrison keeps on going, building, the imaginary cliff is not there, and sets himself up as an important player in our best 22.
Sullivan and Macrae continue to elevate their games and are ready for the full 120 minutes.
No more significant injuries, the squad is close to full strength come finals time, our stars comeback and perform to expectations.

Just soaking up the possibilities and enjoying ‘what could be’.

Locks:
  • Daicous
  • Pendles
  • Moore
  • DeGoey
  • Jaicous
  • Maynard
  • Mihocek
  • Crisp
  • Howe
  • Elliot
  • Cameron
  • WHE
  • Lipinski
  • Quaynor
  • Hill
  • Shultz
  • McStay

That is 17 who are locks in my mind.

Sidebottom, McCreery .and Noble I would like to add, but I think could be vulnerable if forms drops.

WHE form this year has been great and deserves to be an auto selection.

Michell also if he comes back to close to his best.

Cox probably also if he finds form near and around finals.

Still a few positions to fight over. Just realised I forget about Frampton - is he a lock - maybe not if we have a full squad.

Our fate is in the hands of the footy gods, get a decent run with injury and we are right in this.

At this stage, I’m convinced our best side should finals fall upon us does not include Mitchell. Foot injuries can be troublesome to overcome (evidenced already by what was 2-3 weeks originally going to be at least 12 weeks). It’s no secret our midfield has played best since Crisp went back in there for the Carlton game, and when Pendles and Jordy return I think he have mid depth covered.

Mitchell’s saving grace was his ability to win first possession, particularly at ground level, but with Nick so far ahead of what we could have expected of him in that role, I think Titch is nearing obsolete.

B: Brayden Maynard - Billy Frampton - Isaac Quaynor
HB: John Noble - Darcy Moore - Jeremy Howe
C: Josh Daicos - Nick Daicos - Patrick Lipinski
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Bobby Hill
F: Jamie Elliott - Dan McStay - Lachie Schultz
R: Darcy Cameron - Jordan De Goey - Jack Crisp
I: Scott Pendlebury - Mason Cox - Steele Sidebottom - Beau McCreery
Sub: Harvey Harrison

E: Tom Mitchell - Charlie Dean - Joe Richards

Few notes:
  • Cox holds his spot for the same reasons he did last year. He is a significantly better ruck than McStay and Kreuger and he is an invaluable down the line target.
  • no more Hoskin-Elliott as the 22nd or 23rd man. He’s firmly established as a key player for us.
  • preferring Harvey at this stage over Beau but if a final was played tomorrow, I’d like Beau’s fire. Could be a coin toss. Richards so stiff and gets the nod if no Elliott.
  • Howe played his best game in yonks on Monday. We need to explore getting him to play that role as much as possible. Could it involve Dean staying in the side as third tall?
  • hoping for more good times with Kreuger, but I’m holding off for now. Needs more exposure.

I agree with the above about Mitchell not necessarily making the 23. I think the midfield is firing at the moment, and don't think we should mess with the way it is rolling.

My 23 + emergencies, come finals (and assuming a clean bill of health) would be as below.

FB: Maynard - Frampton - Howe
HB: Quaynor - Moore - Noble
C: J. Daicos - Crisp - Lipinski
HF: De Goey - Mihocek - Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Elliott - McStay - Schultz
FOLL: Cameron - Pendlebury - N. Daicos
INT: Hill - McCreery - Sidebottom - Harrison
SUB: Richards
EMG: Mitchell - Cox - Dean

Notes:
  • There are several depth pieces (Sullivan, Markov, McInnes, and the emergencies) who I would be quite confident in stepping into finals play.
  • I'm happy with WHE & Elliott taking on that third leading forward role, with WHE linking further up the field. He can also swing into the backline or wing, as needed. McStay can take F50 ruck contests and give Cameron small chop outs.
  • Really umm'd and ahh'd about the sub. Can see arguments for Richards, McCreery, HH, Noble, Schultz or even Sidey as the sub.

Well go. If all available who is lining up finals?
B IQ Moore Maynard
HB Dean Howe Noble
C J Daicos De Goey Crisp
HF Elliot Kreuger Schultz
F Hill Miochek Hoskin Elliot
R Cameron Pendles N Daicos
I/C Mcinnes Lipinski Harrison Markov
Sub Mcrerry
Emerg Cox Richards Jiath Macrae

Plenty of depth. Hard to pick.

Last edited:
B IQ Moore Maynard
HB Dean Howe Noble
C J Daicos De Goey Crisp
F Hill Miochek Elliot
I/C Mcinnes Lipinski Harrison hoskin elliot
Sub Markov
Emerg Cox Mccreery Jiath Macrae

You forgot Richards.

B IQ Moore Maynard
HB Dean Howe Noble
C J Daicos De Goey Crisp
F Hill Miochek Elliot
I/C Mcinnes Lipinski Harrison hoskin elliot
Sub Markov
Emerg Cox Mccreery Jiath Macrae

no Sidebottom ?

B Howe Frampton Quaynor
HB Noble Moore Maynard
C Sidebottom DeGoey J Daicos
HF Schulz Mihocek McCreery
F Kreuger McStay Hill
Foll Cameron N Daicos Crisp
IC: Pendlebury Richards Lipinski WHE
Em: Harrison

(I strongly believe Elliot’s illness will end his career.
Mitchell will run out of time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back