Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

9 years later.......this wins the internet. Awesome.

How cool too to see that not only did South Melbourne (briefly) have white with a red sash (same design as Richmond and Essendon), but even earlier with going with hoops! They wore three different jumper designs in probably no more than 20-odd years. Amazing.

Wasted way too much of my work day going through this thread (brilliant thread for the best part too) and couldn't believe this iconic photo hasn't made a mention (apologies if I skimmed over it)

Coleman after getting rubbed out of the 1951 GF.

View attachment 386215

I think he got 4 weeks which meant he'd miss the whole finals series. From memory of what I was told he got reported in the last game of the home and away season.

It was great to see but at the same time, Dunstall for Victoria? Pritchard for Victoria? The big V was extracting the urine a bit with the rules.

Certainly were.

And unfortunately Victoria had a couple of handy players missing through club suspension:

Gary Ablett and Greg Williams.

Imagine what the margin could have been!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some further digging to add to that SJ ... 1720663415707.png

This photo claims to be from around 1945 from the Jolimont Railyards. You can clearly see the same building on the left highlighted as in the earlier ones (and amazingly from 1896). You get a much clearer feel for where the East Melbourne ground was. I think the photo must be from the early-to-mid 1930s - the Southern Stand hasn't been built yet.

Amazing to see almost in one photo how close East Melbourne, the MCG, and Punt Road all were to each other too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back