Best Saints memory

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm old.
1.Bashing my sister, crying my eyes out as an 11 year old when the Hawks came from behind to beat us in the GF in 1971. I was certain we would win. I used all my World Championship Wrestling holds on her and was dragged off her by mum when I applied Mario Milano's sleeper hold on her. The witch ( Bomber suppporter), nah, nah nahed me when the siren sounded. The only time in my life I have been in a physical fight, so it is to be treasured, even against my older sister.

quoted for excellence:D:thumbsu:

It ended racism in sport in Australia
It was definitely an important moment in the history of Australian sport, but I'm not convinced racism in sport has ended, or that it could be ended by one particular moment.

It was definitely an important moment in the history of Australian sport, but I'm not convinced racism in sport has ended, or that it could be ended by one particular moment.

At least the beginning of the end SZ.
I remember the suspensions that Robbie Muir had to carry, rubbed him out of the game, because he had the courage and strength to stand up to the racist abuse hurled at him and his family. Everyone has there breaking point and the players just kept at him until they hit some raw nerve and he snapped and jobbed someone. I am sure this history was passed onto NW.
I'II add one of RM's goals he kicked from 15 meters behind the center circle at Morrabbin to my best memories. From the moment it left his boot everyone in the ground knew it had a chance to go through. The whole ground willed it through, the eruption when the goal umpire signaled a goal was in hind site a unique moment in my life. It was like, for a moment in time we were all joined as one. Fantastic sense of humanity.

3. Plugger kicking 10 against Silvani and winning against Carlton in the mid eighties, by I think a point, I was too pissed by then to worry about the details. Plugger would kick easily 3000 goals with todays rules by the way.

That would have been this game in 1989 (I think Squizzy already referred to it in his post).

[YOUTUBE]4v4ZQJHjlvM[/YOUTUBE]

Not sure if Plugger would have kicked 3000 goals but he definitely would have kicked a hell of a lot more if he wasn't suspended or injured so much and was playing under today's soft rules. Amazing to think he still topped the all time goal kicking tally with the amount of football he missed.

Most of the 'big' moments have already been covered so I'll propose a more acute one. In the famous Round 14 clash this year, our heroic Captain took a mark about 55m out late in the 3rd quarter. He turned around, and unleashed, slotting it through from 60. Wasn't the most amazing goal, but the combination of that match and Nick Riewloldt at that precise moment made me tingle.

The moment i'm talking about is at 3:38s. Video doesn't do it enough justice.

[YOUTUBE]1f4da4EJ0ks[/YOUTUBE]

Just met Leigh Montagna at the Maroochydoor airport in QLD. Really nice bloke, just had a chat about preseason ect. Solid handshake too haha. Was just up visiting family he said. Got a 12 day break before getting back into it.

There's another favourite Saints memory of mine I missed in my original post. It was the Brent Guerra hip and shoulder on Byron Schammer in the Round 7 game against Freo at Subiaco Oval in 2004.

There was a massive build up to this game as we were undefeated on top of the ladder and Freo were travelling pretty well too, I think they were top 4 at the time. That Kevin Sheedy wannabe Connolly was talking up the game during the week saying we were the two up and coming young sides that would have an Ali-Frazier type rivalry over the next few years.

Well we kept our end of the heavyweight bargain that day but Freo were more like a punch drunk featherweight. The knock out blow was delivered by Guerra's perfectly executed hip & shoulder on Schammer in the first quarter. Schammer was coasting along thinking he had all the time in the world when Guerra just came out of nowhere to hit him into the middle of next week.

Of course all the Freo ferals were up in arms and booing when Schammer was helped off the field 'Weekend at Bernies' style but myself and the Saints supporters I was sitting with were on our feet cheering. It was at that moment I knew we had come to play and weren't going to lose, whilst Freo were shot ducks from that point on.

The Saints victory song was sung loud and proud that day, as the disillusioned Dockers fans trudged out of Subi Oval to lick their wounds.

[youtube]fE1tgmIBcys[/youtube]
- I've had that feeling 2 other times in good memory, st kilda v geelong 2009 regular season and st kilda v brisbane - when troy shwarze kicked that massive goal from outside 50 to win..supposedly signifying the end of the brisbane era and the beginning of ours...:eek: the roof nearly exploded in both those matches.
I'm sure there's others but those 3 always stand out as being the funnest.

Rnd 22 2008 belting the bombers by 100 points and taking 4th spot of adelaide. Rnd 14 2009 v cats was game of the year. But prelim final v WB 2009 was my favorite. That game showed what champions are made of, Roo your star.

Rnd 22 2008 belting the bombers by 100 points and taking 4th spot of adelaide. Rnd 14 2009 v cats was game of the year. But prelim final v WB 2009 was my favorite. That game showed what champions are made of, Roo your star.

that was excellent because adelaide people sooked so much it was utterly side splitting (including a certain sports radio host who suggested that the bummer players didn't try and it was essentially a victorian stitch up against the crows that had me s******ing on the bus)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a hazy memory of a game - maybe someone can help me out and confirm if I remember it correctly. As I recall, it was Saints versus Crows at Moorabbin. We gave them a real pasting, result was never in doubt, but Plugger had 9 and the crowd was going nuts trying to urge him on to 10. It looked like time was about to expire, when some Crow spud kicked in from a behind, put it right on Banger's chest, Banger then kicked his typical little 35 metre pass right on Plugger who had led as soon as Banger got the ball. Plugger slotted it, kicked the 10, time expires, general mayhem ensues.

prelim against dogs....kinda, all my mates went to a 21st but i bailed because welll saints were on. was so nervous finished a bottle of scotch and dont remember a thing!!...woke up next morn and had to heck score!

4 absolute standouts for me,

1. In 1989 we beat Carlton at Moorabbin. First time we had beaten them in many years. Plugger kicked 10 on SOS. We came from behind in the last quarter, Plugger kicked about 5 or 6 in that quarter. The last, which was just on the siren and put us in front was courtesy of a 45 metre bullet pass across the ground from Winmar. Plugger was behind SOS on the lead and he reached over and plucked it. Converted right on the siren from 45 metres at 45 degrees. Probably the most euphoric moment I have had as a Saints supporter.

2. The preliminary final in 2004 vs Port Adelaide in Adelaide. We lost but probably the gutsiest performance I have seen from a StKilda team and in my opinion, one of the all time great games.

3. The 2004 win against Brisbane at Telstra Dome. I think that is when we all knew this team COULD be special.

4. I think it was the 1973 elimination final against Essendon. George Young absolutely carved up, 6 goals from the half forward flank and the career of my favourite StKilda player was born.

Ricmel do you remember the game at Morrabbin against the Pies. Young at one end Carmen in his white boots at the other, both kicked abiut 10 goals I believe. Carmen kicked the first "bannana" goal in VFL History that day, I was standing right behind his shoulder and couldn't believe it, nor could anyone else at the ground.

the realisation we made a grand final last season was awesome, but i have two moments that stand out in my mind...

1) riewoldt's kamikaze mark against sydney from a harvey pass
2) jones running down franklin in 2008 during our awesome comeback win

Ricmel do you remember the game at Morrabbin against the Pies. Young at one end Carmen in his white boots at the other, both kicked abiut 10 goals I believe. Carmen kicked the first "bannana" goal in VFL History that day, I was standing right behind his shoulder and couldn't believe it, nor could anyone else at the ground.

Yes I do. I think between 1972 and 1989 I pretty well went to every home game at Moorabin (we lived close by). When I was younger we used to stand in the right forward pocket at the southern and then I graduated to the animal enclosure. Footy has never been the same for me since we left that ground.

From memory I think George also kicked 8 against Footscray either the week before or the week after that game against Collingwood. Carmen was a great player. Reminded me a bit of Alan Davis though he was a much better player that Davis.

"Favorite" is probably not the right word, but my most indelible "non North" memory of Moorabin was when Tony Lockett almost killed Guy McKenna.

He would get 20 weeks for that now.

The Goddard mark and the Hayes Goal from 50+ in the drawn GF

The feeling of beating a champion roos team in the 97 prelim to make the 1st GF in my lifetime. Thought they were close to unbeatable on paper and when you dont expect to win something its twice as amazing.

The Rick Kennedy v Tony Lockett UFC's

Being one of the 1st to get to Lockett when he booted 100 at Linton 1 year

The night Premierships Carl and the Geelong 1

The Goddard mark

even though we didnt win, this is still the highest moment of my life as a saints supporter. i genuinely thought we were going to win; not like the cats game where i was always worried given our inaccuracy.

down at half time, not playing too well, i knew it was going to be tough and did not expect to pinch the lead. seeing Goddard rise above that pack (on the back of a tremendous game alongside Lenny) is without a doubt the closest i have come to the experience of watching my side win a flag.

regardless of the result, i will never forget that feeling, and can only imagine how much sweeter the sound of the final siren will be when our side is in front...

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Saints memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back