Opinion Best/Worst Port Adelaide players of 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

As for the thread, the worst performed players are forwards, just like every year. I don't think it's really fair to blame them for that.

Boak continued the rich tradition of being a woefully out of form forward before moving out of the forward line and getting straight into elite form, like Westhoff and Wingard before him.

Outside of that, Jonas dropped away a lot and suffered from Howard being shifted forward, having to deal with the bigger KPFs. Howard himself had a shaky start then settled into some great form before being shunted into the wasteland that is our forward line.

Amon and Duursma have really impressed me. Clurey has been rock solid most of the year.

I think I will take back putting Ryder down as one of the most disappointing players this year. I think The Rubber Man said it best but Ryder has been misplayed as a KPF where he shouldn't be. That's not his fault though, we simply don't need him our best 22 when we already have a better primary ruckman. The only other way I see him being played is as a running forward, because at least he's still a good kick and mark. With Motlop out though we might just be able to squeeze him into a pocket or a flank, but we'd need Sutcliffe to make way. Anyway, I don't think Ryder's form has been awful, but he's being misplayed in positions he's not custom to. He's better off as a primary ruckman than a co ruckman, but we don't need that, he's not a KPF either, so the only other place for him is on a flank or in a pocket for some running and sharpshooting, but he's old, past his prime, and don't need him anymore outside his basic skills which have held up well, but that alone is not enough for me. Sorry Paddy :(

Ryder has never been anything up forward but a 3rd tall type and we asked him to lead the line in the least efficient forward setup in the league.

And now we're apparently going to trade him.

Who knows what his fwd/ruck role could have looked like at a good club. Probably a lot better than it did here.

I would still be okay with Ryder leaving if it meant we could keep Ladhams. Our youth is more important.

On the other hand, we're not expecting any retirements and could win a flag with this list under the right coach.

People have been saying "we're close" for years. It was the reason this board didn't literally explode at the 2017 extension (although a few of us did). We seemed close. But we've always been close like an 18m ladder will get you close to a 20m window. A new coach who could actually harness the potential of this list and make us more than the sum of our parts could win us a flag.

I just hope the players annoyed at opportunity wait until the coaching change before they make their decision.

He might've been a bit poor last weekend, but I'm pretty pleased overall with Tom Rockliff this year. He's been much better ever since getting back into the midfield. When he was misplayed as a forward he was hopeless, similar to Boak, and while he might be a bit slow he can still get to the ball pretty well. I think he plays best when the rest of the team does, but that also means when the team is shit he also has to be. Overall though I'm pleased with the season he's had, not our best player, but definitely not our worst. He's improved quite a bit.

Because he's been injured so much this year it's hard to judge him on his on-field performances. Based on what I've seen they can range anywhere from really good to really bad. I think he's certainly giving his all, but he always seems to be overworking himself, which is probably why he's been getting injured so much. For his first year as captain, he's failed to make a mark, but as a player, it's hard to judge him after the year he's had. And I think when you exclude his stupid skiing accident he's been pretty good in the media, which is important for a captain. My thoughts on him are inconclusive at the moment.
I'd expect a big one next season. I'd cut him some slack too.

DBJ is stiff to miss my top 3 best Port players. I reckon once he cleans his disposal he'll be a best and fairest one day.

DBJ is stiff to miss my top 3 best Port players. I reckon once he cleans his disposal he'll be a best and fairest one day.

Don’t quite get the disposal criticism directed towards to DBJ.
He is currently second behind Boaky for effective kicks for the year.
I would certainly put Karl and DBJ as our most improved for the year and more importantly both have become reliable week in week out performers

The Good
We have debut some good young players. Rozee,Butters,Dursma,Drew.
Burne-Jones+Garner look good in defense.
Amon looks like he can play a Polac type role.
Boak good again.Lycett going ok.
Hartlett looks like he can return to the form of a few years ago.
The Bad
Ryder been inconsistent, Westoff not his best year.Charlie Dixon.Mottlop lol,
Ugly
Our 3 highly fancied inside mids have had terrible seasons.Rockcliffe,Wines+SPP..
The coaching has been frustrating. When Port start a game badly .They stay bad for the whole game.

You cant seriously put Dixon in there ? Coming of a horrific leg injury that at a point had him questioning if he'd play again and he's made to play in the most dysfunctional forward line in the game. There isn't a key forward in the comp that would look good in our forward line.
Really have to agree with you there. Dixon is the biggest victim of this Hinkley regime. Has been given zero quality support

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say SPP has been a disappointment, he's had some very good games along with some not so good ones, but I think he's dangerously close to becoming a team-best player and maybe one day even an AA player in the future. I wouldn't even say his disposal is the problem, it's his inability to average out good consistent disposal numbers per game. He can range anywhere from 30 to 15 disposals which isn't good. He should be able to consistently get 20+ week in week out. He's a strong player with good pace, but sometimes it seems like he can struggle to get possession of the ball despite the amount of aggression he applies. He's had a mixed year but so has the whole club, once he can get some consistency he'll be fine.

Boak clearly the best - he has improved out of sight since returning to the midfield, currently should be right up there in Brownlow votes and will win our B&F by a country mile.

Jonas clearly the worst - the 666 rule has exposed him badly and he has had a major role in opposition players scoring multiple goals in many games this season.

Boak clearly the best - he has improved out of sight since returning to the midfield, currently should be right up there in Brownlow votes and will win our B&F by a country mile.

Jonas clearly the worst - the 666 rule has exposed him badly and he has had a major role in opposition players scoring multiple goals in many games this season.
I don't think Jonas is very fond of playing the role of 1 on 1 defender. If we're going to be serious about putting Dougal up forward we need a new tall defender to come in.

I don't want to be a pain, but I was hoping I could get more people posting since this thread seems to almost be abandoned at this point.
There are numerous names I haven't heard any responses from, and I would like to get their thoughts on this topic.

RussellEbertHandball ?
Janus ?
MrPlow ?

Anyone?

Sorry

I don't want to be a pain, but I was hoping I could get more people posting since this thread seems to almost be abandoned at this point.
There are numerous names I haven't heard any responses from, and I would like to get their thoughts on this topic.
Best: Boak, Robbie Gray, Lycett, Byrne-Jones, Houston

Most disappointing: Wines, Jonas, Ryder, Dixon, Motlop, Mayes

The season isn't over yet. Those that perform well in finals will affect opinions massively.

But as of right now: Boak, Robbie Gray, Houston, Burton, Byrne-Jones, Rockliff, Lycett, Duursma, Amon and Hartlett would be in my top ten players for the year in terms of the consistency of their performance in the games they've played.

Not going to name the ten worst because it's not a list anyone should be striving to be on.

Last edited:
To be honest other than a few key names I can't say we've had many "bad" or "disappointing" names this season. Most of the issues with the club come with the group as a whole and not just individual players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best/Worst Port Adelaide players of 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back